The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 14, 2002, 02:19 AM   #1
SteveC

Difference btw Brownells rust blueing solutions?

Brownells sells a couple of rust bluing solutions: Herters, Dicropan, and Pilkington.

Is there much of a difference between Herters and Pilkington as a bluing formula? Pilkington will take longer, but that doesn't really bother me - this is hobby work, and not production, and I'm willing to spend some more time if it will make my gun come out nicer.
But if there isn't much difference, I'd just as soon go with the Belgian formula. I'd like a more blue than black finish if there is a difference.

Thanks,
Steve
Old May 14, 2002, 07:23 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Steve, of the ones listed I've only used Dicropan and Pilkingtons. Both give black rather than blue color. The Belgian may be the way to go. Your best bet is to give Brownells a call and talk to the Tech Support staff. They can tell you which will give the color you want. George
Old May 15, 2002, 11:05 AM   #3
DeBee

I love to rust blue...

You'll need a few things: The super fine wire wheel, a way to spin it a 700-900 rpm, something big enough to hold the action and boil water in, serious degreasers, distilled water a must and plenty of time...

Tips: Wire wheel the action before you blue. Degrease everything thoroughly- gun, wheel, boiling tank. Don't touch the action with anything- I handle mine with some old action screws and a dowel in the bore and wear latex gloves.

I've used the Plinktons and it gets progressively darker if you like a thick rust buildup... My Belgian FN action is going to get a 'blue' rust blue- I'm going to try Mark Lee Express Blue 3- yes three, not in Brownells yet- available from Mark only call him 952-461-2114...

Post your results here...
Old May 16, 2002, 01:55 AM   #4
SteveC

What do you suggest to hold boiling water?

Thanks for the tips, but what do you use to boil something like a barrel?

I've heard rain gutters mentioned. Can you get high pot and dip it in the water a section at a time?

How do you get the right RPM? Will I need to pick up some extra power tools aside from my old power drill?

I'll give Brownells and Mark Lee a call tomorrow.

Steve
Old May 16, 2002, 05:03 PM   #5
Goldcoins

New idea

I saw a demonstration of the new Blue Wonder Gun Blue. It seemed to be very effective and easier to use that cold blues. I saw Brownell's recently added it to their online store....

I saw information on it on the web at www.novumsolutions.com

Blue Wonder Web Site