The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 15, 2013, 01:32 PM   #101
Tom Servo
Staff

Brian, I hope more people write the same, and I hope it gets read and considered by the politicians in New York.

However, the momentum is there in the legislature, and in the governor's office. It may take a court challenge to kill this.

Quote:
This legislation will protect New Yorkers by reducing the availability of assault weapons and deterring the criminal use of firearms while promoting a fair, consistent and efficient method of ensuring that
sportsmen and other legal gun owners have full enjoyment of the guns
to which they are entitled
The word entitled implies a privilege (which appears in the law) rather than a right (which does not). Let's all remember that language and where it got New York. If nothing else spurs people into action, this should.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:37 PM   #102
Fishing_Cabin

You can view the debate here if any of you would care to:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/av/
Old January 15, 2013, 01:52 PM   #103
spacecoast

Quote:
You can view the debate here if any of you would care to:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/av/
It's enough to make you laugh (or cry).

To paraphrase, the current guy (D from Westchester county) talking says he talks to constituents who tell him that all they want is "one gun and one bullet" with which to defend themselves while they call the police.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:55 PM   #104
tyme
Staff

Prime reason why magazine capacity limits are stupid: 3d printing.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...osed-gun-laws/

All you need is a spring, basically.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 15, 2013, 01:59 PM   #105
rajbcpa

I live in NY. Misery loves company. Obama is preparing 19 presidential executive orders that apply on the federal level and which will mimic the new NY law.

...have a nice day!
Old January 15, 2013, 02:03 PM   #106
Ben Towe

Quote:
I live in NY. Misery loves company. Obama is preparing 19 presidential executive orders that apply on the federal level and which will mimic the new NY law.

...have a nice day!
Source? Without that it's fear mongering.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:07 PM   #107
bird_dog

Sad day here in NY. The 19 executive order thing is all over the place too.

Quote:
Source? Without that it's fear mongering.
Here's the link. The fear is real.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...7.html?hp=t1_3
Old January 15, 2013, 02:11 PM   #108
budoboy

Watching the debate....what a circus. So far I have heard proposed violation of the 2nd Amendment and 4th Amendment.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:16 PM   #109
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajbcpa
...Obama is preparing 19 presidential executive orders that apply on the federal level and which will mimic the new NY law.
Garbage. That sort of thing can't be done by executive order.

Note: we will not discuss executive orders here and the subject has been fully discussed in this thread, this thread, and this thread. If you don't understand why the President can't by executive order mimic the New York law, read those threads. If you don't understand after reading those threads, we can't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog
...The fear is real...
People may be afraid, but the fear regarding executive orders is largely based on not understanding what executive orders are, how they work, and what can and cannot be done with them. This is discussed in the threads I've linked to.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old January 15, 2013, 02:18 PM   #110
Ben Towe

Quote:
Here's the link. The fear is real.
Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va) who was at the meetings is quoted in that article as saying, "It was all focusing on enforcing existing law... things like that that DO NOT CHANGE THE LAW " in reference to the proposed EOs. Very important words, and hardly a mimic of the NY bill.

Edit: Apologies Frank I must have been writing when you posted.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:27 PM   #111
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I agree - but - so what?
It doesn't matter if it is or isn't and it doesn't matter if a social worker is qualified or not.
I would say legally it mattered quite a bit. If the NY legislature suddenly passed a law saying that RN's could perform brain surgery and social workers could splint fractures insurance companies might notice. Among others.

Quote:
I hope those who are amenable to compromise look at this situation very carefully, because this is what happens when we give the slightest ground.
I see no compromise there. These are in effect confiscations.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:37 PM   #112
fsfty

Im from NY and I can't tell you how sick i feel. I never thought I would ever see this, even my ultra liberal state of NY. Im not exagerating when I say I feel like I've lost my sense of freedom. I would love to leave here, but my job is here and finding a new one in this economy would be difficult.

I hope and pray this doesn't happen to you guys in other states, not only to protect your freedoms, but to know that there are other places I can go and be free when circumstances allow.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:42 PM   #113
Hal

AS - you're missing the point...

The point is, this bill has already said those two have the authority & the bill breezed through the Senate 43-18.
Unless a miracle of Biblical proportions takes place today, the Assembly will pass the bill.
That only leaves it up to Cuomo to sign it.

It's as much as a done deal.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:48 PM   #114
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
It's as much as a done deal.
Agreed, I am already thinking legal challenges.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:49 PM   #115
HK_Flo

Sucks to live in NY...

I wonder what the face to face ammo sales, background check and bulk purchase reporting would do to the current ammo shortage?
Old January 15, 2013, 03:07 PM   #116
shuler13

Ok. So I missed it the first time around, not that I can get any more nauseated, but according to the Washington post, gun stores have to run background checks for ammo sales and maintain a database of ammo sales.

REALLY?
Old January 15, 2013, 03:15 PM   #117
carguychris

Quote:
I wonder what the face to face ammo sales, background check and bulk purchase reporting would do to the current ammo shortage?
It may ironically ease the shortage in the other 49 states because (a) I suspect that retail outlets in NY will have to stop selling ammo until the NYSP approves a format for the interim record-keeping book, and (b) I'm certain that all mail order and Internet outlets are going to immediately liquidate all outstanding ammo orders to private individuals in NY!
Old January 15, 2013, 03:19 PM   #118
Hal

Quote:
Agreed, I am already thinking legal challenges.
Ah - ok - gotcha.
Sorry if I mistook what you were saying.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:40 PM   #119
Bubsy

@ Progress, I don't see any mention of grandfathering for magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. The law says..

"Magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds and manufactured before 1994, which are currently legal, would have to be turned over to authorities or sold out of state within one year. If a magazine has a capacity between eight and 10, it would have to be retrofitted to only hold seven rounds."

bubsy
Old January 15, 2013, 03:48 PM   #120
BGutzman

This is exactly why I say the SCOTUS (forgive me for the yell) MUST do some sort of enforced injunction against the State and the City of NY. There seems to be a palpable defiance of court ruling after court ruling. Short of enforcement by the court, I have no idea when this city or state will ever obey a ruling they don't like on this issue... They will knowingly pass unconstitutional law after unconstitutional law with malice of forethought.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:59 PM   #121
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This is exactly why I say the SCOTUS (forgive me for the yell) MUST do some sort of enforced injunction against the State and the City of NY. There seems to be a palpable defiance of court ruling after court ruling. Short of enforcement by the court, I have no idea when this city or state will ever obey a ruling they don't like on this issue... They will knowingly pass unconstitutional law after unconstitutional law with malice of forethought.
There are lawsuits already in the works. They will be filed soon.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:04 PM   #122
SIGSHR

The main goal is to create fear, mistrust, suspicion.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:15 PM   #123
Musketeer

I live in NY and am horrified. The senate here is the only block to this nonsense and they ran this through late at night with nobody knowing about it until it was too late. The assembly and governor are just formalities. Not a single email or Facebook alert from the NRA to let us know.

Heller stated that banning handguns wa not allowed as they were a weapon in general/common use. NY just rendered the majority of handguns and semi auto rifles useless by banning the ability to use them. This needs to be hallemged and crushed immediately.

The rest of the nation may now thank us New Yorkers. Cuomo's dreams of the presidency just died along with our freedom in this state.

I am sick to my stomach.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 15, 2013, 04:21 PM   #124
Xfire68

Well it passed! WOW! Just more of the same.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:26 PM   #125
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Ok. So I missed it the first time around, not that I can get any more nauseated, but according to the Washington post, gun stores have to run background checks for ammo sales and maintain a database of ammo sales.
Nah, just bullets. Loaded ammo should be ok.

Quote:
Require stores that sell ammunition to register with the state, run background checks on buyers of bullets and keep an electronic database of bullet sales.
This would effectively ban internet sales of ammo and place a huge burden on the seller.

I wonder if the NY lawmakers have heard the old adage about being careful what you wish for?

I can see the last legal gun owner in NY twenty years from. His final words: "It was a magazine dammit...."