The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 14, 2015, 10:27 PM   #1
buckk112

turk mauser

i have a turk 38 Mauser action that i picked up from a gun show for $90 it is a small ring barrel, my question is is if you take and cut the action to accept a large ring barrel will it compromise the strength of the action, i know some of the actions were only spot hardened.
thanks
Old August 15, 2015, 01:01 AM   #2
taylorce1

Just order a large ring barrel with small ring threads, people with Turks have been doing this for years. There is no need to cut your receiver ring larger.
Old August 15, 2015, 02:04 AM   #3
Wyosmith

Taylor is correct, there is no reason to need a large ring thread. Even the commercial square bridge mausers made for the big shells like 404, 416 rigby and 505 Gibbs were made with a large ring diameter but with small ring threads.
One word of interest is that some Turkish Mausers have 11.5 Threads Per Inch not the typical 12 TPI. So do not order a barrel before you find out what you have. It's no big deal either way, but you need to know what you have. I have cut 11.5 TPI for several Turkish Mausers and they are just as easy to do as any other.
Old August 26, 2015, 08:20 AM   #4
Jimro

It should be noted that the old safari big bores operated at much lower chamber pressures than more modern rounds. The 416 Rigby is much closer to a 30-30 in pressure than a 300 Win Mag in pressure.

Any standard cartridge (0.473 case head dimension) will be perfectly fine with a Turk m38 action. I wouldn't put a high pressure magnum in one, but a lower pressure older magnum doesn't represent a problem except for all the other modifications needed for feeding.

Jimro
Old August 26, 2015, 10:16 AM   #5
F. Guffey

Quote:
Just order a large ring barrel with small ring threads,
I would suggest ordering a small shank barrel. There are Mausers with large rings that fit small shanks. There is one that has a small ring that uses a large shank barrel. Then it is assumed Turk rifle are large ring with small shanks, I have a few that have been scrubbed with large rings and large shanks.

http://www.turkmauser.com/serialNumbers.aspx

F. Guffey

Tags
mauser , turkish mauser