The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2013, 11:02 AM   #1
2ndteaparty

heavy 45

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post. So if I commit a faux pas, please inform me and forgive me. I'm reloading .45 LC for my Judge. I picked up some 300 gr HP bullets. I'm having trouble finding load specs for powder. I realize it is a heavy bullet. I have Win 231, which I suspect is too fast for this heavy of a projectile. I also have IMR 4227. Has anyone sucessfully (safely) reloaded 300 gr HP with IMR 4227 for a Judge ( or anything other than a Blackhawk or Contender)?
Old August 3, 2013, 11:29 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

most manuals and websites have a few loads for 300 gr jacketed bullets that aren't ' Ruger and TC loads '

Here's one site:

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...Powder&Source=
Old August 3, 2013, 01:41 PM   #3
2ndteaparty

Thanks for the tip. Do you know of any sites with that kind of info using Win 231 or IMR 4227?
Old August 3, 2013, 01:57 PM   #4
JimDandy

Try going to the powder manufacturer's website. Most loads are worked up based on bullet by bullet makers, and on powder by powder manufacturers.
Old August 3, 2013, 02:37 PM   #5
2ndteaparty

Did that thx
Old August 4, 2013, 07:22 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

dismantling by ammo

I most highly recommend avoiding hot stuff in the Judge; I recommend HS6, 2400, N350, or AA9 for moderate-powder 300g bullet loads.
They will be sufficient for most actual shooting needs.
Old August 4, 2013, 05:00 PM   #7
2ndteaparty

to weshoot2

Thanks. How do you feel about IMR 4227. I bought some to push these 300gr bullets, but the charges I'm finding is for Ruger, probably too much psi for the Judge. I also read that decreasing the charge actually increases psi, which makes no sense to me. So I'm afraid to lower the charge to "work up to" an effective charge. Help?
Old August 4, 2013, 08:56 PM   #8
Sport45

I believe you'll find 4227 too slow for what you're trying to do. I see Titegroup data for a 300gr jacketed bullet in .45 Colt and that leads me to believe it's possible to use 231 if you could only find the data.

But even if you do find data you should keep in mind the velocity most likely won't be enough to expand your HP bullet reliably.

If it was me, I'd try to swap the 300gr bullets for something more appropriate.
Old August 5, 2013, 07:33 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

I do not use 4227, but some like it for less than maximum loads.

Search "John Taffin"......
Old August 5, 2013, 11:05 AM   #10
AlaskaMike

IMR 4227 worked very well for me in standard pressure .45 Colt, but after shooting six rounds out of my 7.5" Redhawk, the snow in front of me looked like someone dumped out a full pepper shaker on the ground--lots and lots of unburned powder. Like I said though, I can't complain about the accuracy.

I think you'd do much better with powders close to Unique on the burn rate chart, like AA5, Universal, Power Pistol, etc. 231 would probably work well too, but just make certain you use data for standard pressure loads. Cowboy action shooting data would be ideal, but you probably won't find any using a 300 grain bullet.

Mike
Old August 5, 2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

2ndteaparty,

4227 just will not ignite and burn efficiently at the lower pressures you need for the Judge.

231 is no problem though. Here's one way to find the number:

Hodgdon lists Universal for the 300 grain bullet. If you then look at the Hodgdon data for all the other bullet weights from 260 down to 160, you will find both Universal and 231 listed. Where the two achieve the same pressure, the 231 loads are all 0.89 to 0.91 times the Universal loads. So, if you take the Universal load for a 300 grain bullet, 6.6 grains to 7.3 grains, and multiply by 0.9 to get 5.9 to 6.5 grains. That's going to be about right, assuming you use Winchester brass and WLP primers, as Hodgdon does (click on their "Print" button to get a preview giving you this information plus the barrel length and rate of twist). Since you likely have different components I would follow Western Powder's recommended practice of lowering peak charges 10% for rifle and 15% for pistol to find a starting load for your workup.

6.5 grains × 0.85 = 5.5 grains,

so I would actually start at 5.5 grains of 231 and work up toward 6.5 grains slowly, watching for pressure signs, sticky extraction from the cylinder in particular. If you get that, then back the load down 5% from the level that did it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 6, 2013, 06:23 PM   #12
2ndteaparty

from heavy 45

This is the kind of help I was looking for. Thank you.