The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 29, 2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Sidelatch

Mauser 1910 Conundrum

I found an old gun in the items my father left me. Long story short... It is a Mauser 1910 Side Latch. So I have begun to restore it but very quickly ran into a problem. It appears that the side plate was put on wrong the last time it was stripped. Here's the conundrum (or is it a Catch22). Since the side plate is on wrong, the slide assembly won't slide all the way back - just 1/8th of an inch too short. So the barrel can't be removed. If the barrel doesn't come out the slide assembly can't be removed. Without removing the slide, I can't adjust the side plate. If I don't fix the side plate then I can't get the barrel off... And so on. It's kind of a funny problem but in the end, it really is a problem. Hopefully you can see the misalignment in the one photo I was able to upload. Is anyone familiar with the 1910? I know some of you are. I don't want to distort the side plate trying to get it stripped. Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (106.4 KB, 87 views)
Old March 30, 2013, 08:41 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

That picture is no help at all in trying to diagnose the problem. Can you post some good, clear pictures of the sideplate area?

Jim
Old March 31, 2013, 04:04 AM   #3
Scorch

Your frame is already damaged by the side plate caving in the mortise for the side plate alignment tab. You may have to use force in order to get the slide and barrel off, then repair it once the pistol is stripped.
Old March 31, 2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Sidelatch

A picture of the side plate won't help you Jim K. Take a closer look.
Old April 1, 2013, 08:48 AM   #5
mapsjanhere

If it's absolutely impossible to disassemble (shouldn't be, someone got it on that way after all, might need a good soak in oil or some heat gun work) you could dremel off the tenon on the side plate to get the side plate to pop into place for disassembly. It's allready clear the tenon doesn't have to be in the mortise . And it's always easier to get a new side plate than a new frame.
Old April 1, 2013, 01:11 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sorry, Sidelatch, you are right; I didn't look closely enough.

I really see no way to get out of that except to sacrifice the sideplate, or at least the end tab. Gun Parts Corp (www.gunpartscorp.com) shows them available at $24.15 plus S&H. Getting a match might be hard, but if you send them some info and pics of the gun they might have the correct one. You will still have to fix the frame, of course.

I don't believe soaking in oil is going to help; the sideplate is not rusted in, it is jammed in place.

On further consideration, and since the sideplate is botched up anyway, try this: The sideplate is slotted into the frame only at the front and back, not at the bottom, and it abuts (is not under) the slide. So it MIGHT be possible to pry the sideplate out in the back, bending it so it can be pulled out at the front. I think that might get it out, but whether it could be salvaged is another question.

Jim

Last edited by James K; April 1, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old April 1, 2013, 02:15 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

My oil and heat suggestion was for getting the slide that extra 1/8 of an inch that prevents him from disassembling
Old April 5, 2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Sidelatch

Good info

Thanks for the feedback. Won't it ruin the value of this old gun to bust and replace the sidelatch. It breaks my heart to think I'd have to break it. Jim, good suggestion about prying the plate back. I was able to get a razor in and pry it without bending it. The slide still comes to a solid stop in the same spot. Not have ever seen the inside I can't picture what is holding it back. So it makes me wonder if the side plate is actually the problem at all.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Sidelatch

Good info

Thanks for the feedback. Won't it ruin the value of this old gun to bust and replace the sidelatch. It breaks my heart to think I'd have to break it. Jim, good suggestion about prying the plate back. I was able to get a razor in and pry it without bending it. The slide still comes to a solid stop in the same spot. Not have ever seen the inside I can't picture what is holding it back. So it makes me wonder if the side plate is actually the problem at all.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:04 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

There may be other problems, but the sideplate is definitely one of them and I think has to be dealt with first. Might you ruin it? Possibly, but the alternative is having a paperweight that looks like a gun.

Jim
Old April 7, 2013, 09:44 PM   #11
Sidelatch

And the winner is... Soak in oil. Or at least it seems that way. I did t actually soak it but as we passed it around with my gun friends, it finally came loose. The best part is no broken side plate! Apparently it just took more wiggling than I had done. Problem solved. And apparently it was not the misaligned side ate after all.

Tags
1910 , field strip , mauser , side latch