The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 27, 2009, 11:01 AM   #1
boatmonkey82

belt feeds

how does a belt feed gun work ? i know the basic how , but how does the ammoget fired with it being mounted and how is it ejected ? i have never seen one in person
Old January 27, 2009, 04:54 PM   #2
David Hineline

closed bolt guns like the browning 1919A4 they have ammunition in links or belts that fully enclose the cartridge. They have a claw that extracts the ammo from the belt, then it drops down a track in the bolt face and goes forward into the chamer, once it fires the cartridge is extracted, and continues down the track in the bolt face and out the botom. The link or belt goes out the side.

One open bolt guns like the M60 the link is only covering the top of the cartridge, when the bolt closes it pushes the cartridge out of the link forward into the chamber and fires.
Old January 27, 2009, 05:17 PM   #3
SDC

It depends on the specific model of MG, and on whether it uses closed links, belts, or push-through links. Some earlier MGs even fed from the same rifle clips that infantry soldiers in the same army were supposed to use, and to add to the complexity of the system, they fed the fired cases back into the empty clips (if you're going to have a war, there's no reason to be unnecessarily messy about it).
Old January 27, 2009, 06:04 PM   #4
freakintoguns

speaking of Belt feeds, i was watchin a show on NatGeo about armored cars and they had dillon minigun equipped SUVs on it just gotta say....i want 10! that gun is toooooo sick!
Old January 27, 2009, 06:23 PM   #5
boatmonkey82

what bullets were they shooting out of the sks and ak's , they looked like paint balls ! but they were firing full auto . were they wax tip ?