The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 30, 2007, 01:07 PM   #1
MarkXIX

12 Gauge load questions

I just got a new Remington 870 Express Black Synthetic 18" 7 shot last week, I'm just curious what the best loads are for blowing things up and ripping big holes in things, I have shot the following in the past and the last two recently for the first time out of a friend's Mossberg 590, standard 2 3/4" field loads, Remington 3" Magnum 1 Oz. Sluggers and Remington 3" Magnum "#4 Shot Turkey load" i think. The last two were fun to shoot 2 liter soda bottles with and nice effects on an old TV. I figure buckshot would tear some stuff up nicely. Anyone care to share their favorite go out and blow stuff up loads? I'm also interested in knowing what the hardest kicking 12 Gauge 3" Magnum shell i can get is, yes i wanna try it. Cause i didnt think the 3" Slugs or Turkey loads we shot were all that much after being told forever they were. I'm interested in hearing about 00 Buckshot and 000 Buckshot, number of pellets, etc. Thats about it, thanks.
Old May 30, 2007, 01:57 PM   #2
Jseime

My personal favourite load for rippin stuff apart is the cheapest target loads I can find. Although my 3 inch magnums with #2 shot did a mean job on a dryer at the dump a while back.

The shot size in a 3 inch magnum has nothing to do with the amount of recoil. Recoil in a 12 guage magnum shell is related to weight of shot 1 1/8 ounces of #2 shot is the same as 1 1/8 ounces of #4 obviously so the heaviest shot in a 3 inch magnum will give you the most recoil. I have some 3 inch magnum #2 shot with 1 1/8 oz at 1550 fps and that kicks more than I want in my Mossberg 500. I need to find a better recoil pad than the factory before goose season.
Old May 30, 2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Wayfaring_Stranger

My experiance is that tukey loads are the heaviest recoil and the best at tearing things up at close range. Buckshot can look kind of mild because it just puts nice clean little holes in things, turkey loads tend to leave big irregular holes at close range.