The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2005, 08:21 PM   #1
IDriveB5

Loose fore-end on my 870 super mag?

i just bought my first shotgun, an 870 Super Magnum, and i havent had a chance to fire it yet. seems like the fore-end is loose, as it doesnt stay in the fully foreward position. when i hold the gun vertically, and move it around(by only holding the stock) the fore-end slides down about 3/4" here are pictures:
UP:

DOWN:

any ideas on what the issue is?
Old June 27, 2005, 08:27 PM   #2
QuickTrig

I have an 870 also, and if it isnt cocked, it will come out of battery very easily, my buddy has an 870 wingmaster, and it will come completely out of battery by depressing the release on the trigger. Once you got a shell in the chamber, it locks up tight and is solid. Once its fired you will effortlessly send that empty shell through the air. Its a great gun, I shot 24 out of 25 clays on my second time out with it, Have fun
Old June 27, 2005, 08:56 PM   #3
IDriveB5

ok, that is it. i dont like to load and chamber guns in my house, so i wanted to be sure it was functioning properly before i went out and shot it. looking forward to blasting away this weekend. thanks!

guess we've all got to be a noob at something sometimes
Old June 27, 2005, 09:08 PM   #4
mathman

If you rack the slide on an unloaded 870, it will still lock into place...the fore-end should not move. If it does not lock on an unloaded chamber, there is no guarantee that it will lock on a loaded chamber.
Old June 27, 2005, 10:30 PM   #5
ZeRoiFeX

I just picked up a Remington 870 18" Express Synthetic... and it's doing the same thing. So this is normal from what I'm reading?
Old June 27, 2005, 10:32 PM   #6
ZeRoiFeX

And another question... this is my first shotgun... and I heard many good things about the 870... and I was curious how rust-resistant these models are?
Old June 27, 2005, 10:51 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

The slide assembly dropping down slightly on an UNCOCKED 870 is entirely normal.

The Express finish isn't as rust resistant as you might want, but there are several ways to enhance it's protection.

One method is to coat all exposed surfaces with a good non-automotive wax.
Many people use ordinary Johnson's Paste Wood Floor Wax.
You can usually get this at Wal-mart, grocery stores, and hardware stores.

Just rub a coat into the rough finish, heat it with a hair dryer until it melts, allow to cool, then wipe off any excess.
Many duck hunters use this method to protect their guns in salt water duck blinds.

Another method, is the one Remington recommends for their Police guns.
Disassemble the gun, including the magazine.
Spray everything, inside and out dripping wet with Rem-Oil or, even better, with CLP Breakfree.

Allow to soak in for 20 minutes or so then wipe it down.
The Teflon and rust proofing additives will soak into the rough finish and protect it quite well.
Old June 27, 2005, 11:02 PM   #8
ZeRoiFeX

Dfariswheel...

THank you for your response... helped a lot...
Old June 27, 2005, 11:32 PM   #9
Nnobby45

Good

When you can hold it upright and give it a quick up and down shake and open and cock the action completely, then your 870 is broken in and running like a good 870 should. Then, the action will be open twice as far as shown in your picture when you just hold it up.

Last edited by Nnobby45; June 28, 2005 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Not broke in yet
Old June 28, 2005, 05:35 PM   #10
IDriveB5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathman
If you rack the slide on an unloaded 870, it will still lock into place...the fore-end should not move. If it does not lock on an unloaded chamber, there is no guarantee that it will lock on a loaded chamber.
i did not rack the slide. gun was uncocked. once i racked the slide it locked into place.
Old June 28, 2005, 06:03 PM   #11
mathman

Quote:
i did not rack the slide. gun was uncocked. once i racked the slide it locked into place.
Then it is fine...