The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 25, 2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Nanook of the north

Ar-15 kits?

I've been hearing a lot about these lately is an ar in a box you can just assemble yourself or just certain parts?
Old November 25, 2011, 01:42 PM   #2
DnPRK

The last AR-15 I bought as a complete rifle was in 1986. Assembling an AR-15 isn't rocket science.

Assemble your own AR-15 with pictures

You can also find youtube videos for assembling AR-15 for yourself.
Old November 25, 2011, 02:43 PM   #3
blacksky

AR 15 Parts Kit

Everything that you need to assemble an AR!% except the Lower Receiver can be bought over the counter or ordered online and shipped to your home. The Lower Receiver must be purchased from a licensed FFL dealer or shipped to one. This is Federal and or State law!

The Lower can be purchased stripped or complete. Meaning you assemble the parts needed or it is already assembled.

I'm not recommending this seller or this brand of parts, just using them as an example of what you need and where it can be found. There are many different brands, quality levels and sellers online or at your local FFL Dealer.

Start here:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR167-1.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2SA1LWR-1.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2DPLR05LP-1.html

Good Luck with your new adventure!

2 part video showing how to assemble an AR15:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w
Old November 25, 2011, 03:41 PM   #4
kraigwy

A few years ago I needed an extra lower because I had one upper too many.

Guy at a gun show was selling lowers (among other things). He had complete uppers or would sell you the parts to build your own for a little less.

I desided to buy the parts and put it together my self (excluding triggers, there isn't much difference between lowers, even if you want a target rifle).

Turns out he didn't have enough parts and starts taking a complete upper apart.

I tell him that's silly, he's wasting my time and his in disassembling the gun. Saying he could just sell me the upper for the price of the parts since he didn't have the parts, plus besides being able to make a sale, he wouldn't have to waste time in disassembling the thing.

He thought a minute, laugh and handed me the upper.

I put on my White Oak, put in a Geissele 2 stage match trigger (trigger cost more then the lower). It shoots as good as the WOA did on the Colt lower. Plus I was able to put my SP1 back together.

Put the money into the upper. Excluding the trigger, that's where the accuracy is.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 25, 2011, 05:30 PM   #5
blacksky

Put the money into the upper. Excluding the trigger, that's where the accuracy is.

+1 ON... Put the money into the upper. Excluding the trigger, that's where the accuracy is.
Old November 26, 2011, 01:42 AM   #6
divil

Just don't fall into the trap of thinking that you will necessarily get better value for money by building it yourself. The reason I say this is, I built my AR-15 from a kit - I bought a stripped lower, a kit containing a pre-assembled upper and the remaining parts to complete the lower. All this came to a reasonable price. But from the very beginning, the trigger malfunctioned. The lower I fitted it to was a good quality RRA. Everything fitted fine, but the hammer would sometimes drop when the trigger was released, which is dangerous and could cause legal problems too. Besides all that, the trigger was terrible - heavy and creepy.

Anyway, I sent the bad trigger parts back to the retailer and replaced it with a drop in trigger, which cost $250. So now I have a rifle that is perhaps as good as a $1000 factory rifle, but it has pretty much cost me $1000 plus a lot of hassle. Not to mention is probably has poorer resale value due to the lack of a brand name.

I am sure that more experienced AR builders would have more success, but for a first AR, I'd recommend buying a factory rifle.
Old November 26, 2011, 02:50 AM   #7
tahunua001

think of it as legos for big boys it includes everything but the lower receiver(which you have to buy from a FFL). now please doont confuse a build kit with a LPK which is nothing but the little parts that make up the lower half(included in a complete kit). at this point though DPMS and Smith & Wesson both have budget ARs that are almost as cheap as a build kit so it's not really worth it anymore. 5 years ago build kits could save you bookoo bucks...not necessarily the case anymore but palmetto states kits are decent priced and are more highly recommended by many than mid range brands like stag and bushmaster.

Tags
ar-15 , kits