The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 7, 2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Sefner

Does having a CPL show up on your background check?

Title is pretty self explanatory. If I have a CPL/CCW/CHL, does it show up if I get a background check for a job (specifically for a school, daycare center, hospital, etc etc)? If state law applies, it's Michigan law.
Old October 7, 2009, 12:38 AM   #2
raftman

I don't see why it should. I may not be all that in the know, but I've never heard of someone being denied employment on the basis of having a CHL show up on a background check. Can't speak from personal experience because I've had my job longer than I've had my CHL.
Old October 7, 2009, 09:03 AM   #3
jamullinstx

CPL in background checks

I posed this question on another forum. In Texas, CHL status should not appear in any privately contracted background check because the Texas DPS is statutorily barred from releasing any such information to anyone other than law enforcement agencies.

However, one respondent stated that he commissioned his own background check just to see what would be reported, and the report contained his Utah CWP status.
Old October 7, 2009, 09:24 AM   #4
NavyLT

Which really torques me, because I can understand what you are getting at. An employer, such as a daycare, might see the CPL and freak out, "OMG, He's got guns!"

What should the CPL status REALLY say to them: "Well, let's see...he's been fingerprinted and the FBI has done a background check on him and cleared him, which is more than we can say for the other applicants..."

Sorry, though, don't have an answer to your question!