The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 3, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1
BoogieMan

NH Moose hunting

My buddy bought a small place near Pitsburg, NH. They call it moose alley. Anyway I would like to hunt his property and the surounding area. I have never hunted moose. I am sure some scouting will be in order, but I have no mentor to fill me in on the finer points. Can they be hunted the same as Whitetail? Normaly I hunt N. PA (Tioga county) from a stand on my own ground. No bait, just pot luck as we have stands strategicaly located with trails. Most of what I see for Moose is stalking. At this point I am in the early stages and havent even bothered to put in for the tag lotery. If I win a tag I dont know what to do with it.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 4, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Jack O'Conner

There is probably a good DVD about moose hunting that you can buy.

I've only taken one bull moose so I'm no expert. Years ago, I hunted with a Cree guide in Saskatchewon, Canada. We prowled around connected lakes in a canoe fitted with an outboard motor. I shot my bull twice through the chest at about 125 yards or so with my .308 rifle. He went down fast.

Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; March 6, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:44 PM   #3
math teacher

Moose aren't that hard to kill, but it can take them a while to figure it out. You need to hear from those who have had experience in your area. I have hunted them a lot in BC, but that is not relevant to your area.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:40 PM   #4
NHSHOOTER

First thing, get in the lottery and good luck, I live in NH and know of many many guys that try and never get picked, I am pretty sure that you can buy a tag from someone that was lucky in the draw.
You will need to do some scouting the prior few weeks before the season if you do get picked. There are a few guides in the area that know their stuff and you will most certainly at least see a few.
I hunted moose one year with a friend, I was co-hunter, saw one, it saw me, took off for the hills before I could get a shot off.
I would say that they are not hard animals to hunt, but remember, once shot you still have to get it out of the woods.
Good luck in your quest and if you come to NH, welcome!!!
Old March 8, 2013, 07:16 PM   #5
DarcyPotter1

iv guided for moose in Yukon and Alberta for years . Get out and walk you are scout for singn and see how many bulls are in the area compaired to cows dont hire a guide spend the cash on some good trail cams look for liks and rubs i dont know when your season is but if it is dueing the rut call and be quiet they can take a long time to come in a area i know in Yukon that we flie into no one guides off it it is to rough hell on this lake in the rutt if you fart loud you will get a aswer. jk jk the thing is get in the loto dont wait till you have it down pat no one does they are hard to put down in the rut so if you get a tag and come on a bull with a cow shoot and dont stop shooting till he is down. a gal i know in Farow Yukon takes her bull every year with a 243 but it is pre rut and allways picks her shot .Get some calling CDs and practice i allways call calf by this i mean like a calf that his mom is kicking hin away becouse she has weined him and she is ready to breed then i call cow be carefull calling bull i have seen Yukon Alaska bulls come in slow and grunting and have sean then charge in looking for a fight boots on the ground my bud get to know the area wihle you wait on your tag and good luck they are great eating