The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 17, 2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Chris_B

Range trip 16 June 2012

I took my M1 rifle to the range. It shot well.

But I also fired the following:

Type 99 Arisaka
Type 38 Arisaka
Lee-Enfield Jungle carbine
1897 Krag 30-40

Jungle carbine wasn't terrible recoil but it was unpleasant to fire in general. For all that we were grouping it the size of a softball at 50 yards, firing once every 2-3 seconds. It was funny, both the owner and I were surprised to find out that both of us were firing that fast to 'get it over with'. But it grouped acceptably even so. The 99 was also not nice to shoot. The 38 was very mild and easy to shoot. The Krag was very accurate and the action was smooth as butter

Pretty good day. Only downside was some ugly clips I had on the last bandolier of a spam can of HXP. They were original SA clips that had been painted black and they had rust bubbling through. All the cartridges were fine but I downloaded and re-loaded into some better clips I took with me. Headstamps were all '72. The rounds weren't all seated well in the clips either. Anybody else see that in a can of HXP?
Old June 18, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2
troopcom

What were the size of your groups at 50 yards with the other rifles? Which performed the best?
Old June 18, 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Chris_B

I only fired 4-5 rounds with each of the others. My M1 was easily the best for me; when I was resting the rifle I could have covered the groups with a half dollar as long as I was doing my part. But that's 50 yards for you. Overall the Krag grouped best (for the owner). He's quite a good shot