The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 18, 2014, 10:23 AM   #1
CockNBama

Bending 686 stock to left

Can I bend the stock of my 30 year-old Beretta 686 without making any changes inside the stock for clearance of the stock attachment bolt?

Also, in removing the trigger guard, the forward screw looks like a compound arrangement. Is that little blued screw a lock screw for the bigger screw? Is there anything under the compound screw that I need to be alert to?

I'm biting off more than I can chew with this, I realize, but I'm increasingly determined to do it anyway. Any tips and direction would be great to hear. Thanks.
Old January 18, 2014, 10:21 PM   #2
PetahW

Welcome to TFL !

Stock bending is a highly specialized operation - IOW, don't try this at home.

OTOH, you might be able to install a tapered shim between the neck of the buttstock and the rear face of the action.

(Which Benelli does to change the drop, not cast-on/cast-off)

Old January 18, 2014, 10:47 PM   #3
CockNBama

Roger

Thank you, sir, and it's good to find you guys. Hope I can learn a lot, and I appreciate your response.

I've thought about shimming, but it seems to me that it would work only with a relief cut on the opposite side. Don't you think?

From what I've seen so far, bending seems more appropriate. I just don't know right now how much interference there will be between the bolt and the clearance bore on the stock.

Thanks again.

Joe
Old January 19, 2014, 09:04 PM   #4
PetahW

If buttstock with a throughbolt attachment is bent, an entirely new hole would need to be drilled in the stock to accommodate the straight throughbolt - the amount of the bend limited by the closeness of the new bolt hole to the side of the stock.

On some guns, perhaps the rear face of the receiver can be altered to accept the throughbolt at the correct angle.

As I mentioned, I wouldn't recommend an amateur attempt @ the job.

As far as the tapered shim goes, there should be no need for any work around the wrist/neck of the stock - but the receiver rear face would need to be altered for the new throughbolt attachment angle.

Unless, of course, you just a wedge out of the forward end of the buttstock to the rear of the action tang, at the angle that gives you the cast off/on you want, and epoxy it together w/o a throughbolt. (bubba )

If I may make a suggestion that might very well give you the effective change you want w/o all the dancing: leave the buttstock alone, and install an adjustable Morgan buttplate/pad, which can be adjusted sideways.