The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 7, 2011, 04:26 PM   #1
BigBadPigg

Biggest hog you've killed?

Just what the title says. I am wondering what the biggest hog y'all have killed is? mine is about 512lb. What's yalls?

Last edited by BigBadPigg; August 7, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old August 8, 2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Buzzcook

512 is one big piggie. Hope it was yummy to.
Old August 8, 2011, 06:35 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

300+...

Plenty edible and tasty!
Brent
Old August 8, 2011, 01:05 PM   #4
SRH78

I honestly don't know what he weighed but when we hoisted him up, his snout was well above my head before his butt cleared the ground. There was also a 396 (I think that is right. It was 390 something) pounder trapped on the same property and the boar I shot was considerably larger. I would love to know what he actually weighed. I have always assumed he was close 500 but unfortunately, I will never really know. I have yet to see another one even close to that and probably never will.

That big old boar turned the tables on me that night. I didn't know he was there and he was actually the one stalking me. I am still amazed at how quietly he was able to do it. He came up behind me right after my light went dead. I actually had to shoot at a shadow at that point but I knew I was the only one there and I knew where all the cattle were and when one end of the shadow was moving up and down and popping it's teeth, all doubt about what it was was gone.

I gained a whole new respect for hogs that night.

Last edited by SRH78; August 8, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old August 8, 2011, 01:23 PM   #5
BigBadPigg

I guess I should tell my story too. Ok, so this hog had been eatin out of the cows feed bins for 3 years... Which is how it got so big previous to this night I could never get a shot at him. Anyway, it was about 7:30 omost to dark to see through the scope. I was getting ready to walk out of my stand when I took one last look at the feeder, about 65 yards from the cows feed bins. When I saw a huge shadow moving under the deer feeder. At first glance I thought it was just a small cow, but after further studying it I realized it was the masive hog. I then sat back down in my stand and put my rifle up on the window looked through the scope but the crosshairs in the dark spot where I thought the head was. (It just looked like a big blob) and fired. I heard a one loud squeal and then nothing. I took the my flashlight out of my pack and walked over to it. this thing was masive!!! 3 men couldn't even drag it. We had to get the tractor and tow it back to camp where we hooked it up to the scale we use to weigh deer. And sure enough that's what it weighed.. And it was very good! I still have 60 pounds worth of sasuage
Old August 8, 2011, 01:59 PM   #6
slammedsi

Right at 400. Was 7 foot nose to butt. Although 300-400 lbs hogs are very common around this part of Texas.
Old August 8, 2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Saltydog235

I'd say it was 400-450 or so. It took four full grown men to drag it 10 to 15 yards out of the ticket to tie it to a 4 wheeler for the drag out. The rope broke twice getting it out and the 400cc 4 wheeler was loaded just dragging it. Too big and rank to be fit for consumption.

I got an even bigger one I want to kill this deer season but I'm going to have to get in a thicket with him (not exactly a great option) or get him in the swamp.
Old August 8, 2011, 02:08 PM   #8
rickyrick

I never weigh them, There's no weight limit on the varmint pile.

Mostly, I can pick them up with an assistant, but there's a few that I had to get the tractor for.

If there's some I give away, I dont give a weight to the new 'family' because they will be too big or too small....I just let them look for themselves before the pig is 'decomissioned'
Old August 8, 2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Jack O'Conner

Female hog was approx 225 lbs. Taken with 30-30 carbine in Sonoma County, Calif.

Jack
Old August 8, 2011, 04:37 PM   #10
markj

Dont know the weight, he was a large tusker, big balls and all. His back was as high as my waist, he come running at me full tilt in a hog run was 30 ft long 10 ft wide. I swung the sledge hammer I had and hit him between the eyes, he went down. I had to pay 40.00 for killing the thing before it went to market...... tusks were 6 in long big around as my finger. They make sausage out of them boars....
Old August 8, 2011, 06:04 PM   #11
603Country

Mine was about 400, per the rancher whose place I was hunting on. He had told me and other couple of guys that he had a huge hog on the place that was tearing down fences by just walking through them. He said to shoot it on sight, but kill it, DO NOT WOUND IT, or I would be his tracking assistant. Later, around dusk, I was in a ground blind and here comes this huge hog. I was shocked at the size. I had earlier shot an 6 point (no brow tines), and the hog walked over to the deer and clamped down with his teeth and picked the deer up with no apparent effort. I guess he was going to walk off with it and eat it. I shot him and he went down. Tried to get back up, but couldn't. I didn't measure the tusks, but they were bigger than anything I've seen since. I told the wife I'd get the head mounted. She told me a lot of stuff, some of which was profane, and none of which was agreement, so I gave it to the rancher. I hear the head is still on his wall.
Old August 8, 2011, 06:26 PM   #12
Macantic

a 700lb. Harley FatBoy i backed into with a truck. I'm typing this with a pencil in my mouth. just kidding...LOL!!

Last edited by Macantic; August 8, 2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old August 9, 2011, 04:28 PM   #13
markj

Quote:
Served in the U.S.A.F. (jet engine mechanic)
Offut? ride a goldwing?
Old August 9, 2011, 06:16 PM   #14
chuckscap

My youngest son's hog taken at 12 feet in a dense thicket with a 270 ...

Mine taken with a 500 Jeffery at 8 feet in even denser stuff ...

Old August 9, 2011, 06:26 PM   #15
Jo6pak

The biggest and only hog I have killled weighed in at 330 lbs.
Damn, that was good pork, ham and bacon. I've gotta get down an take another next year.
Old August 9, 2011, 11:39 PM   #16
Hog Buster

“I am wondering what the biggest hog y'all have killed is?”

When a young kid on the farm I killed many hogs in the 200 to 300 pound range. Most were Hampshire's (like the ones pictured in an above post) or Yorkshire’s (Big white things). All were killed with a shot behind the ear with a 22 LR while penned.

As for hunting wild/feral ones, the largest one I’ve killed was about a 325 pound boar with a 270, in the left eye.
Old August 9, 2011, 11:43 PM   #17
Deja vu

Those are some nice looking hogs! Some day I hope to bag a hog of at least 250 LBS.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 10, 2011, 08:48 PM   #18
Red Dog

What happens to the pig if you don't eat it? Is there a market for these animals? Can I sell it?
Old August 10, 2011, 10:42 PM   #19
BigBadPigg

Yes, some people do trap them and sell them alive. But, seeing as how they are pest if I don't eat them I let them lay.
Old August 10, 2011, 11:11 PM   #20
slammedsi

Not the biggest one i have shot. But deff the funnest one. Taken with a 608 Tauras in 357, at 40 yards. One shot 1/4 away dropped her. 312 lbs via a hanging scale

Old August 11, 2011, 01:33 AM   #21
BIG P

Shot a bunch of them pretty good size.But the BIGGEST one we didnt have scales. But the picture I took weighted 50LBS. LOL,
Old August 11, 2011, 11:56 AM   #22
rickyrick

When I trap them I always offer them up to people, they must be ready to deal with a dead pig. The trap isn't opened until the pig is dead. Gun hunted pigs go to the varmint pile. Don't have coyote troubles that way LOL, like a bribe
Old August 13, 2011, 11:08 PM   #23
Todd1700

This one but I have no idea what he weighed. Killed him with an old Finnish M-28 Mosin Nagant.

Tags
hog