The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 13, 2010, 07:34 AM   #1
joeseabee

Turkey Hunting

Getting close to turkey season in OH (1 month out) and I am getting ready to pattern my 870.

Here's what I've got:
Gun:
Remington 870 Express Magnum with a 26" barrel and EF Choke

Current Ammo:
Remington Nitro Turkey, 3", 1 7/8 oz 4 lead shot
Remington High Velocity Magnum, 3" 1 3/4 oz copper plated 5 shot

I was wondering what ammo/gun/choke other people are using. What other ammo I should check out when I go to the range.
Old March 14, 2010, 10:02 AM   #2
SCcdp

I use a 28in Browning BPS with a TruGlo XXXXFull. The first shell is always a 3in Federal Copper Clad #6 followed by a #4. The 6 patterns really well and the 4 is for if I've goofed somehow and have to actually put a body shot on a turkey.
Old March 14, 2010, 11:23 AM   #3
waterfowler

Sounds like the setup you have is a winner.
Old March 14, 2010, 01:08 PM   #4
shortwave

My turkey gun is an old Winchester single shot which patterns Remington 3", Magnum Turkey loads in #5 very well out to 40 yds.

Used to use a Rem. 1100 magnum and had good success with the 3" Remington Turkey Duplex load. Especially in heavier cover.
Old March 14, 2010, 03:12 PM   #5
h and f

you have a good set up--as is
Old March 14, 2010, 06:16 PM   #6
bamaranger

mine

Rem 870 mag, purchased new, 1980. The monster 30" tube was swapped for a 26" after one season. The 26" went after 2-3 for a twenty inch Rem slug bbl w/ rifle sights, and Rem super full choke, the first knurled tube they made.

I have settled on Win 3" 1-5/8 load of #5shot. Basic lead pellets, no space metal. Number #4 shot has always seemed a bit thin in my gun. I shot #6 for quite a few years, usually 2 oz of shot. An article I read a few years back got me doubting #6 lead, past 30 yds or so. I like my shots close of course, but it doesn't always happen, and you can misjudge range sometimes.

My switch to hi-speed #5 lead has been very positive. It seems to hit harder and kill cleaner. Less "floppers" .

Consider some type of sights to improve on the std bead. Pattern whatever you decide.

Be still, he's coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 17, 2010, 02:52 PM   #7
TCman

I just shot my turkey gun yasterday to see how it patterns. Im shooting a Benelli M1 Super 90 Field, Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike .665, and Winchester Xtended 3 inch #6 shot. I counted 146 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:22 PM   #8
bamaranger

pretty good

TC that sounds like a pretty tight pattern. A 10 inch circle just is not that big and that's a lot of holes! Forty yards to boot. I doubt that my pet #5 load would do as well.

I shoot 30 and use a std sheet of typing paper for target.

I use #5 these days after the Rifleman ran an article about turkey loads and pellet weights/energy. Truth is, shoot your birds at a reasonable range and #5 v. #6 will not make a hoot of difference. Fooling w/ shells and chokes does give a bit of knowledge and confidence though.

Best pellet count load I ever tested and hunted with was the Activ, 3" 2-1/4 oz of shot #6. It would put 220 pellets on a sheet of paper at 30 yds. I still have a partial box, a guy at work wants them bad.

Best load I ever counted, but have never killed a bird w/, is the discontinued Federal Heavyweight, 3" , 2 oz of ..#7-1/2!!!!! It put 300 + pellets (310 by count) on a sheet of paper at 30 yds. But #7-1/2 seemed very small for a general purpose turkey load. I still keep one in my vest for controlled ambush setup type hunts where I know I won't shoot past 30 yds. (blind hunts).

Finally, isn't it interesting that we have not heard from any of the space metal, tung shot folks yet???????
Old March 18, 2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Todd1700

Quote:
Finally, isn't it interesting that we have not heard from any of the space metal, tung shot folks yet???????
Well if you're gonna call us out like that. LOL!

Denser than lead shot = best of both worlds. You can use number 6 shot for inceased pellet count and denser patterns and yet still get the same or better penetration with them that you would with lead 4's.
Old March 19, 2010, 10:50 AM   #10
TCman

Bamma I think the Federal heavyweight is 33% denser than lead, where the winchester and remington loads are onlr 10% denser. The 10% is similar to the power of ons shot size smaller. So Remmy and Winchester #6 have toe power of #5 lead shot. The Federal is about 2 shot sizes different. So the Federal #7 have the power of lead #5 with alot more pellets on target.
Old March 19, 2010, 03:41 PM   #11
JKump

I am using a H&R PardnerĀ® Pump Turkey Gun. I have a TruGlo GOBBLE-STOPPER XTREME CHOKE TUBE on it and using 3" Winchester #5 Turkey shot. So far, so good.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old March 19, 2010, 09:26 PM   #12
BIGR

Here are some Tom pictures to get you excited. Three of them did a dance in the drive way about a week ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turkey1.JPG (192.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg turkey2.jpg (80.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg turkey3.JPG (193.5 KB, 29 views)