The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 26, 2009, 12:33 PM   #1
OUTLAW00

Coyote Hunting

Just a quick question pertaining to coyote hunting. I just got into hunting coyotes and have had pretty good luck so far calling one in on my first real stand, but i heard multiple coyotes howling in the area before I shot that one. So my question is how long should I wait to go back. And is there a limit on how many times you will call in the same place within a given time. Thanks in advance for any replies
Old January 26, 2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Scorch

If you call one in and miss a shot, you better leave that area alone for a while, because you just educated those coyotes. If you kill coyotes that are coming in to the call, you still want to let it rest for a while. Try to not hunt the same are too often, either way.
Old January 26, 2009, 10:25 PM   #3
rem870hunter

wait a week or 2,atleast. i found out myself to not hunt the same area/spot days in a row. they will get wary.
Old January 27, 2009, 08:59 PM   #4
jbdnew

Its a good idea to change up calls when you hunt the same area again, you may want wait atleast 2 weeks.
Old January 27, 2009, 09:54 PM   #5
OUTLAW00

OK thanks for the advice, I have been trying a couple different calls. Any of you have any experience using a howler. If so what were the results.
Old January 28, 2009, 10:27 AM   #6
texastweeter

I use a howler to locate the dogs to start with.
Old January 28, 2009, 11:33 PM   #7
siv

I've found that a howler in combination with a decoy or an actual dog tied up works well...just make sure if you have a real dog to shoot the yote before it makes it to your tied up friend.
Old January 29, 2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Three44s

How long to wait before calling again?

I'll disagree about "waiting" .......

It's a proven fact in coyote hunter circles ..... that upon calling up multiple coyotes ....... and killing one of them ...... that others departing the area ..... can in fact be stopped dead in their tracks with a coyote adult Ki Yi ..... (adult distress) ......

And even more often ...... hunters kill one coyote and pause a bit ..... resume calling ...... only to call in another or even more .......

I agree that over saturation of an area is not good ....... and particularily if it's not necessary ....... why not move?

For anyone very interested in predators ..... try Predator Masters forum .... it's only one of several but it's probably one of the most hunting family oriented sites on the net .......

Enjoy

Three 44s
Old January 30, 2009, 11:55 PM   #9
ELMOUSMC

Try varmintals web site it has everything you need to know
ELMOUSMC
Old January 31, 2009, 10:05 AM   #10
mini14.223

i have hunted coyotes before but not really. i just kinda drive the farm looking for them and then shoot. i want to do it the real way. what is the best time of day to hunt. and ELMOUSMC what is the exact site you listed. i couldnt find anything. thanks
Old February 1, 2009, 01:13 PM   #11
OUTLAW00

The website he was refering to is varmintal.com
Old February 23, 2009, 12:29 PM   #12
James R. Burke

Leave the dog at home.
Old February 23, 2009, 03:25 PM   #13
BIGR

Question for you guys that hunt Coyotes. When they kill animals like possums do they always eat them or leave them laying? The reason I ask is Saturday night I thought I heard a pack come through but was not sure due to alot of wind noise. Sunday I found 3 dead possums laying out from the house. One was laying about 100 feet from the house and the other 2 were out in the woods. Also do they roam through certain areas and leave to come back later? Man looks like I gotta get serious about those bastards.
Old February 25, 2009, 07:53 AM   #14
WildHunter3

I am also new to coyote hunting. They have overrun most of SC from what I can tell...our deer herd is starting to suffer & I am going to try to kill as many as I can. I know that a coyote is the most difficult animal I've ever hunted...but if it can be called I'll figure it out