The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 13, 2007, 11:34 PM   #1
shotokan99

which is ideal for daily carry: 38 snub or full-size 1911

hello,

im a newbie and i feel the urged to do carry a gun, on daily basis. that would served as my personal defense. as a civilian so far these are my requirements:

#i want it concealed close to my body.
#has enough rounds and power for personal defense.
#easy to use (since i dont go to the range often)
#easy to maintain, and most of all, reliable.

is 38snub or 1911 perfect candidate for my needs? pls give your inputs. tnx
Old November 13, 2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Wildalaska

.32 pocket pistol like a seecamp or kel tec

WildmeetsallyourneedsAlaska TM
Old November 14, 2007, 12:53 AM   #3
BobMcG

Out of your two choices, the .38 snub. Other than that, a small auto like suggested ^.
Old November 14, 2007, 12:57 AM   #4
longeyes

Sounds like a S&W J-frame Airweight: 642, 442, 637...
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old November 14, 2007, 01:53 AM   #5
shotokan99

correct me if im wrong guys...i find the 1911 cumbersome to be concealed. esp. that im wearing jeans and tshirt on daily basis. but im worried regarding the stopping power and reload aspect of 38snub. i heard alot of talks about it.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Colin Doyle

The 1911 is a hammer. Carry a snubby.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:37 AM   #7
angeldeville

My full size 1911 is my favorite hangun, BUT it is too big for CC, I carry either a Colt Pony (.380) or my Colt Dick Special (.38).

I'm looking at getting a Officers model 1911 for carry, and that is just barely concealable.

IMNSHO
Old November 14, 2007, 10:39 AM   #8
BikerRN

Quote:
which is ideal for daily carry: 38 snub or full-size 1911

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello,

im a newbie and i feel the urged to do carry a gun, on daily basis. that would served as my personal defense. as a civilian so far these are my requirements:

#i want it concealed close to my body.
#has enough rounds and power for personal defense.
#easy to use (since i dont go to the range often)
#easy to maintain, and most of all, reliable.

is 38snub or 1911 perfect candidate for my needs? pls give your inputs. tnx
Since you don't go to the range often and want something "easy to use" I would suggest you carry a S&W J-Frame Revolver, or similar.

The 1911 is an "Expert's Gun" in my not so humble opinion and there are many people carrying a 1911 that have no business carrying one.

Biker
Old November 14, 2007, 10:46 AM   #9
nemoaz

I just saw a TV show on the Outdoor Channel, maybe it was Guns and Ammo. Can't remember the name of the gun rag writer, but the name was familiar. He said that during a gun show, he met with several of the other writers, all of whom parrot the 1911-is-the-one-and-only-pistol mantra in their articles. However, all were carrying .38 snubby revolvers. That should tell you something... actually, several things.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:57 AM   #10
tegemu

A 3" 1911 or a Commander, I recommend a Bobtail. Either one will conceal as well or better than a .38 Snubby, with a good holster and belt. I have all of these guns so I am speaking from experience. The easiest to conceal and carry IWB is a Lightweight, Bobtailed Commander 1911. then the 3" 1911. The 3 " is the one I carry most because I carry it in my pocket, minimizing the concealment problems. The 3' 1911 is almost exactly the same size as the snubby.
Old November 14, 2007, 04:46 PM   #11
Dwight55

While I cannot speak for everyone, . . . for myself, . . . I feel comfortable with my full size RIA 1911 steel, . . . carrying 9 rds, . . . and a backup mag with me.

Yes, . . . I have other weaponry, . . . but since I also have good leather, . . . it is not a "pain" to carry. In fact, . . . the clamshell holster with my Colt Det Spec is far more uncomfortable for me (its a topheavy OWB) than my 1911 in IWB, . . . and is far and away much less concealable than my 1911.

I also subscribe to the idea that a 9mm, a 40, or a 38/357 using proper ammo can mushroom up to the size of a 45, . . . but my 1911 starts there.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old November 14, 2007, 05:27 PM   #12
sw_florida

Go magnum. Ruger SP101 with a 3" pipe. Inside waist band, behind you, on the right side, given you are right handed. You attacker will not stand around to see where the 5th bullet lands.
Old November 14, 2007, 05:27 PM   #13
Tom2

I like the 1911 platform, but I have owned only one compact, an enhanced officers stainless. Sorta wish I still had it as it was fully functional and accurate. So how about comparing the comparable sized 1911 to the 38? Like I don't think any of those MV specs on the ammo is starting out from a 3 inch barrel. Probably can say that ball ammo maybe drops to perhaps 700 fps out of the little barrel. The 38 snub can throw a 158 grain bullet a bit faster than that. Lighter bullets don't seem to gain proportionately in velocity from the heavy bullet, so alot of folks shoot the heavy lead and expect decent penetration. If you can conceal a full sized gun and can bear the weight all day, go for it. Some can I guess.
Old November 14, 2007, 08:40 PM   #14
shotokan99

no doubt with the power of .45cal, i personally submit to that. actually i do have a full-size 1911, 8 rds. however despite being fabled..i do heard alot of negative comments specifically on reliability issues. that it jam, etc. and that revolvers, so far surpass it when it come to reliability aspect. the only obvious advantage that it has, is the reloading issue.

of course reloading a pistol, yes a lot easier,faster compared to a revolver. however im not on a mission to crackdown a terrorist cell, or bust off a ring of druglords. im just a plain civilian. and on personal defense, will the confrontation go more than 6 rds?
Old November 14, 2007, 08:43 PM   #15
tony pasley

do carry a full size 1911 or Double Eagle daily.
Old November 14, 2007, 08:43 PM   #16
shotokan99

The 1911 is an "Expert's Gun" in my not so humble opinion and there are many people carrying a 1911 that have no business carrying one.

@BikerRN: what should be the proper business in order to be qualified to carry a 1911?
Old November 14, 2007, 09:01 PM   #17
CraigC

An Officer's-length 1911 carries nicely under a loose shirt or jacket. A stainless Kimber Ultra is my most-carried self defense pistol.

Old November 14, 2007, 09:25 PM   #18
Rasputin

642 Looks Incredible For Carry.

Anyhow... 1911's Are For Everyone Who isn't

1) Financially Impaired
2) Retarded
3) On Drugs
4) Liberal
5) Hilary Clinton
6) Illegal Alien
7) etc.

so if your not on the above list.. your free to own a 1911... But A 642 would be easier to carry.

Unfortunately I Would Be Catogorized Under "Financially Impaired" Lol

Heres A Review Below On The 642

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm
Old November 14, 2007, 09:55 PM   #19
coolhandluke4

I carry a Kimber Full size stainless in a Galco Royal Guard IWB holster every day I'm not working. I carry the S&W 642 snub too as a back up. The sw is nice because you can just throw it in your pocket and go anywhere, but I like the size and power of the 1911
Old November 14, 2007, 10:01 PM   #20
BikerRN

Quote:
@BikerRN: what should be the proper business in order to be qualified to carry a 1911?
Maybe someone that has had "exstensive" training at a place like Gunsight, Thunder Ranch or one of the various schools that also has the ability to be "cool under pressure". Also, maybe someone that can pick up "any" handgun and Qualify on a Police Qualification Course with no practice. Let me pick the gun, you shoot it cold at the range on "Qual Day". I can do it with my J-Frame, L-Frame, N-Frame, Glock, Kahr, 1911 and if not timed on the reloads my SAA.

I've carried a 1911 before, packing an N-Frame now and may switch back to a 1911 again. I don't shoot much anymore though. I'm only on my third case of handgun ammo for the year, plus what I shoot in Quals.

I think the trigger on a 1911 is one that requires a lot of training and serious forethought. You had better be able to explain why you shot whomever it was you shot and not utter a silly comment like, "I don't know how the gun went off." You also have to be able to deal with the adrenaline dump that you will have in a life or death encounter. How much do you shoot? Do you shoot in competition? That is a good way to practice firing under "stress".

There is a reason that most police agencies do not allow the 1911 except for a very select few.

Biker
Old November 14, 2007, 10:26 PM   #21
shotokan99

wouldnt you feel undergun with a small revo, while others are bulging with sophisticated autos?
Old November 14, 2007, 10:47 PM   #22
BikerRN

No, I don't feel "undergunned" as I practice accuracy, not "spray and pray".

Let's face reality here. For myself, in an Off-Duty encounter I am only interested in preserving my life and the life of my loved ones. I have no obligation to intervene myself in to a situation to save someone that I do not know or cannot identify. The only exception to this would be a Uniformed LEO in a struggle with a civilian.

Once the guns come out BG's tend to run away or at least try to avoid being shot. This means they "beat feet". If I need more than what I carry then I should've had a longarm in the first place, and a buddy or three.

Biker
Old November 14, 2007, 11:03 PM   #23
orionengnr

Quote:
Since you don't go to the range often and want something "easy to use" I would suggest you carry a S&W J-Frame Revolver, or similar.

Funny you should say that. I've read, dozens of times, on this board and others, that a snub is an "expert's gun", and is more difficult to shoot well than almost anything else.

I've owned five or six through the years, and sold them all. My Kahr PM9 made saying good-bye to those j-frames very easy Six plus one, quick reload, awesome accuracy and (after break-in) perfect reliability.

JMHO.
Old November 14, 2007, 11:44 PM   #24
BikerRN

I do believe that a "snubbie" is an expert's gun, but given the two choices I chose the one that I thought would be better for someone that doesn't intend to practice much.

If they were asking for a gun for Home Defense I would've suggested a 38/357 K, L or N Frame Revolver. I opted for the Double Action Revolver over a Single Action Autoloader more so than 1911 vs J-Frame.

Biker
Old November 14, 2007, 11:47 PM   #25
shotokan99

i have read several threads regarding home defense. and so far, 38snub was not mentioned. does it imply that its not so ideal for the job?