The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 14, 2007, 12:17 AM   #1
psdan000

Whats your procedure when you clean your rifles

Most of my friends think im crazy for the way i take care of my guns, and maybe i am, but im pretty sure most of you think the same way i do. there are couple old beat up .22's i have that i dont worry about too much but my other rifles and shotguns get cleaned after every time i shoot. just curious as to what procedures, and products you use to clean your guns and maybe get some feedback as to if i am doing all this right. after i shoot i will disassemble the gun as much as necessary to clean it. ill then run a cleaning patch down the barrel with hoppe's no.9 powder solvent (is this good stuff to use?) and depending on how dirty it is run the wire brush down there too. ill then run the cotton cleaning mop down the barrel. this is usually all i do to clean the inside of the barrel. after that ill spray everything down with Rem-Oil teflon lubricant and wipe it all down with a gun rag and re-assemble. is there any harm in cleaning the inside of the barrel too much? what would you guys do different if anything? thanks for the help

Dan
Old March 14, 2007, 06:51 AM   #2
TerminalVelocity16

I basically do the same exact thing. Every time they're fired I clean and oil them. To answer your question, yes there is a danger of causing damage to a gun by too much cleaning, but you would have to clean your guns ridiculous amounts of times. If you do damage your rifle because of cleaning, usually it's from running your ram-rod down the barrel and not centering it, thereby scratching the inside. So just take your time and care not to let the rod touch the inside of the barrel, or better yet get one of those bore guides that does it for you.

-Term
Old March 14, 2007, 08:15 AM   #3
john in jax

Me too. Everytime I shoot them they get taken apart and thoroughly cleaned.
Old March 15, 2007, 08:50 PM   #4
armedtotheteeth

All of my guns get cleaned after every session. 22s go well over 100 rounds before cleaning.My Ar-30 300 Win gets cleaned lightly with patch with hoppes 9 every 20 rounds max. After 50-60 rounds, it gets a CR-10 copper out cleaning, tore down sprayed with brake parts cleaner, and relubed with a coain of REMOIL. I FInd the Phosphate coating on this piece of artillery is very difficult to wipe off with a rag because it pulls the rag apart and pieces stick to it like lint. I havent perfected it yet, but brake parts cleaner is a cheap alternative to the $7 a can BC gun scrubber.
Old March 15, 2007, 09:46 PM   #5
Dave R

As I have grown older, I have become more relaxed in my gun cleaning habits. If I have only shot 20-50 rounds through a rifle, I'll just run a bore snake with a touch of CLP on it through the bore. Then wipe down the bolt and/or the action. 3-5 minutes, tops.

Once there've been over 100 rounds through it, I'll do a more thorough cleaning, with a foaming bore cleaner. Half hour to an hour. Usually 3-4 rifles at the same time. That way, its still about an hour session.

After maybe 500-1000 rounds I'll disassemble the bolt and whatnot. That may be several years.

One exception is my .17 wildcat. Those teeny lands are susceptible to carbon fouling and copper fouling. That one gets a bore snake every 20 rounds (even in the field) and a foaming bore cleaner every 50 rounds or so.