The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 10, 2002, 11:20 AM   #1
VTR996

A broke "94" 30/30

I bought a used 30/30 for $50.00 which has a part broken on it. It is where the stock bolts to the receiver, at the top, just behind the hammer. I don't have the other part to put back. I have a MIG welder and a torch. Could I braze or weld a piece to the receiver and file it to fit, or should I let a gunsmith do this one? I've shot it and it seems to shoot fine, but there is not much holding the stock on. It was made about 1969-70 and is in good shape other than the strap broken. Am I in any danger shooting it in this condition?
Old December 10, 2002, 11:51 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I would go ahead and try to do it yourself. I'd use heat stop paste or submerge the action in water and weld above it to keep the heat away from the receiver. I think that the worst thing that could happen is that your gunsmith would have to cut yours off and redo it. I wouldn't shoot it like it is anymore. There may not be any real danger there but you might get a cut hand or something. George
Old December 10, 2002, 05:50 PM   #3
4 Eyed Six Shooter

I have had at least 5 come into the shop with broken tangs. I have a friend who is a great tig welder weld them. They hold well but will break if hit hard again. Make sure you get good penatration and then clean up with a dremil and file. It's amazing how much abuse the local ranchers can give the 94's and they still work. A clasic design for sure.
Old December 10, 2002, 11:38 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have seen that happen with the older 94's also, but it seems to be something of an epidemic with the new cast receivers. Any thoughts on whether the new ones are brittle, or just more mishandling of guns lately?

Jim
Old December 11, 2002, 08:53 PM   #5
4 Eyed Six Shooter

Jim, I belive the new ones are more brittle. The ones that I have taken into the shop with broken tangs all had cast receivers. They just don't make um like they used to.