The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 16, 2000, 09:13 PM   #1
bullseye

What can anyone tell me about these. When were they made, do they handle the magnum loads, are they any good, etc? I have one in mint condition with police cylinder, but know nothing about it's history. Where could I get an owner's manual?
Old August 16, 2000, 10:13 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Neat! I picked one of those up a couple of years ago for $175 from a local dealer. Damned thing was absolutely mint, except for a light ring around the end of the barrel where it had sat for years in a rack.

These guns were made in the early 1980s by Howa of Japan. The police models had either an 18 or 20" barrel.

The "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" doesn't say how many were made.

They are, I believe, very similar to other shotguns of the period. Mine has been very reliable. No problems with it at all.

As for a manual, I have no clue.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old August 17, 2000, 06:50 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Md Dept 0f Corrections tried the 3000 in the early 80s, briefly. It was supposed to replace some superannuated Model 12s and it was cheaper than the the 870. Cheaper in a lot of ways.

The carrier was supposed to be jam proof, a superior design to the old 870s that could, if a shell was not loaded far enough to catch the detent, back out of the magazine and jam up the weapon, requiring either dissassembly or a clearing technique that was rough on the weapon.

Correctional shotguns, especially tower shotguns, have to handle large amounts of abuse,occasional and lacckadaisical cleaning, and use in all kinds of weather. The 3000 S&W just didn't hold up. Worked fine clean, but not after firing a box or two of shells.

If you keep it clean,use regular loads, not short mags, and treat it as any firearms should be treated, it should work OK for light duty.I doubt I'd use one for A-S scenarios if there were other shotguns available.