The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 26, 2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Less lag. Quicker burn maybe.

Getting ready for the Fall here and hoping to see a couple of those big flag'en white tails again back in the woods along with their unusual way of getting your immediate attention. (snort/whistle)_ I'm going to have to rely on your experience and/or knowledge concerning musket caps feller's. Been toying with the idea of changing out my #11 nipple to a musket cap nipple on my 54 T/C Hawken.

Questions:

1. Is this an appropriate thing to do with a rifle that's loaded with a 90 grain charge of 2FF Black under a P-ball?

2. What would be the positives? or the negatives I would likely encounter?

Not quite period correct as Haug Haggen would say. But hey, it's just a thought._
Old September 26, 2012, 11:39 AM   #2
mykeal

1. It's neither appropriate nor inappropriate.

2. Positives are you get a hotter ignition gas and a greater volume of ignition gas; however, with real black there's no need for hotter or more ignition gas. Some folks who have dexterity issues (ie, old farts like me) find them easier to handle, especially in cold weather. Negatives are the conversion costs money and the caps are more expensive - not a great deal of money, but hey, for us old farts pennies matter sometimes.

As far as PC is concerned, musket caps are not all that modern themselves, and a T/C "Hawken" isn't necessarily all that PC itself. It is a plains style sidelock, which is a very good thing, but a Hawken it isn't.
Old September 26, 2012, 12:09 PM   #3
noelf2

I don't think I'd bother. Never had a problem with percussion caps on my T/C Hawken. I did change my 10 gauge double to musket caps when I heard some folks had issues. Never a misfire with the musket caps on it though.
Old September 26, 2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Some folks who have dexterity issues (ie, old farts like me) find them easier to handle, especially in cold weather.
Like you've said mykeal its a matter ease for us old guys. Me too. Getting to dislike those little #11s. With fogged over glasses it takes me as many as three attempts up in the stand to get just one #11 installed on the nipple right. The two others end up on the floor all the time.__ I should really pull my 6X6 carpet out of my stand and shake-it over a sheet of plastic. I'll bet I can retrieve at least a tin full of lost caps from it._
Old September 26, 2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Pahoo

When I can, I prefer the Musket Caps.

In-Line Hunter;
I have the option to go with any of the three primers and chose to stick with the Musket and have not regretted it. I do use a Musket capper as well. Sure makes a handling difference, during late season. .....

Side-Lock Hunter;
Did convert for a time even though I had no real issues with the 11's. Have you made sure that the flange will clear the snail? Also, I can weather seal the 11's where I find it harder to do with the Muskets. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 26, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old September 26, 2012, 03:45 PM   #6
PetahW

I'm no Spring Chicken, but am lucky to still have no dexterity problems.

Even so, I've always used cappers to seat #11 caps and Top Hats. (I never bothered, when using 209's).

#11 capper:

Top Hat/Musket capper:

209 primer capper:

Old September 26, 2012, 05:31 PM   #7
Strafer Gott

I changed everything I could to musket caps. If I couldn't change, I put improved nipples on, and TC sells one. The only problem I've ever had was getting a '53 Enfield to light, even with a musket cap. Sure takes the fun out of it. Particularly if you experience it while hunting.
Old September 26, 2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Hawg

The only reason I can see to change it out is ease of capping with cold fingers. I never had a problem with #11 but it doesn't usually get that cold here.

Strafer you've got to be doing something wrong for a P53 to not work.
Old September 26, 2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Strafer Gott

I think the fire channel is a little thin. I need to get in there with a wire and work it out a little. It is one of the TOW cheapies, and had to be drilled. I think the scraper tends to pack crud in the channel. It might get better with use, if the channel fire cuts a little. It's a bit of a stretch calling it a P53. Still fun.