The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 15, 2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Sose

Driving thru MD?

Hey folks!

I've got a CC permit and wanted to drive thru MD to DE to visit some family. As you know, MD is an incredibly harsh state as it relates to gun laws. Would I legally be able to drive thru MD with a concealed weapon if I am not stopping?

I've read about a law (peaceful travel?) that allows you to drive thru with a CW only if you are not stopping. Can someone confirm please?
Old February 15, 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Doc Intrepid

Sose:

Transporting Firearms in Maryland
Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)

A. "Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. [Emphasis added by Doc]

In the case where the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console."

"The basic requirement during transport is the handgun must be unloaded and in an enclosed case or enclosed holster with the ammunition separate from the handgun AND you must be transporting the handgun to or from the locations listed in the statute. Go to the following website for Criminal Law Title 4-203 regarding wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun: http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/statutes...Extension=HTML "

So...I'd unload your firearm and lock it in a pistol case that you load into the trunk of your vehicle while transiting through Maryland. If your vehicle does not have a trunk, place your unloaded firearm in the locked pistol case toward the rear of the vehicle, where is is not directly accessible by the driver or passenger(s).

Just one guy's opinion.

From this site:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click on MD and scroll to page 3 and 4.

Doc
Old February 15, 2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Sose

Jeebus! Thank you!!

I checked, but I just checked VA, didn't think to look into the MD part.

Thank you very much!
Old February 15, 2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Doc Intrepid

No worries.
Old February 16, 2010, 12:49 AM   #5
jp_over

i'd give a call to the state police and get the reg/legal reference