The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 23, 1999, 07:27 AM   #1
Hal

I went looking for a shotgun testerday.
I narrowed it down to 3.

Rem 870,12 ga-Ugly finish one, not the Wingmaster, @ 245.00 to 269.00 depending on the store.

Browning BPS @ $444.00, newer version with gold trigger and one less post on the vent rib,,,28 guage,,I dearly love this gun but really question the practicality of the 28 guage vs the cost of ammo.

Benelli 12 ga-I can't remember the model #,but it was the wood stock version with a picture of a cat as the only embellishmnet. Absoultly the sweetest feel of anything I have ever put to my shoulder! The problem is the over $1000.00 price.

Is the Benelli worth the extra $$.?

For 1K I can get both the Rem and the BPS, plus a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]load of shells.
For 1K I can get the BPS and not worry about the cost of 28 Ga shells.

*For the record. The prices are the asking prices at my local dealers. Going elswhere, even to save $50.00 to $100.00 is NOT an option. I will not whore my business to the lowest price. These guys have a certain overhead to cover, and I appreciate their presence in my community. Saving a buck is as important to me as the next guy, but,,,well off my soapbox.
*Also for the record. I do not shoot a shotgun often. I don't hunt, am right handed,but due to being blind in my right eye, am forced to shoot left handed. It is very un-natural to do so, and as a result I have a very bad flinch with any shoulder arm with recoil above the 30-30 level.

Should I just forget the whole thing and stick to handguns. I did see a real nice Loaded Springfield for $515.00 that was very tempting.

Too many guns to want, and not enough zeros in the paycheck in the left side

------------------
(!)
Old May 23, 1999, 10:38 AM   #2
fubsy

Hal,
How long have you been shooting strong hand and weak eyed?........I seen a couple of different ideas on the proper techniques but it seems to me that the isoceles would about be the best.....tks fubsy.
Old May 23, 1999, 11:14 AM   #3
Hal

fubsy : I was born with 90% sight loss in my right eye,so I would have to answer, my whole life. Handguns are no problem as I have learned to compensate and am comfortable shooting in any manner of correct or incorrect ways. While I will never be a "great" shot, I do get by OK. It's only when I have to shoulder a gun that the problem starts.Anything up to a 30-30 is fine, but because of the unatural feel, anything heavier is a real problem. My real concern is laying out the $$ for a 12 ga, and then not being able to shoot it.

------------------
(!)
Old May 23, 1999, 12:10 PM   #4
sholling

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 in black plastic. This is finest shotgun I've ever shot. Pointing is fast and dead on. In black they run about $850.

Yeah I took a little guff the first time I took the black gun to the gun club. Had high score that day and that put a stop to the wise cracks.

Before buying anything I'd go to a gun club and try one of their rentals and see if the sport is doable for you.

Good luck!

Steve
Old May 23, 1999, 03:36 PM   #5
fubsy

Hal,
Since the concern is with recoil, I would probably go with a 11-87--and have that hans guy work it over...or just get one from him the way you want it.......Ive owned and shot both benelli's and 11-87's, the benelli was lighter and faster and recoiled more, the 11-87 was heavier and absorbed the recoil better. Now Ive not used any of the recoil reduction type of systems.....Im refering here to the ones they inseert in the stock and someone who has experience and more knowledge will have to tell you if they work but that might be an option to consider--considering the recoil problem you might be best served talking to that hans fella and let him work through it with ya----
In regards the hand and eye coordingtion...Im always looking for techiniques that can be applied and Ive found that people who live with the problems have the best insight....good shooting...fubsy.
Old May 24, 1999, 11:38 AM   #6
TTed

Hal,

I have shot the Benelli M1 and it is a fine shotgun... but I prefer a gas operated auto like the Beretta AL390 for targets and hunting because the gas auto is easier on the shoulder. Gas operated autos spread the recoil impulse out so its more of a push than a punch. The Benelli is recoil operated and the recoil will feel sharper.

The Remington 11-87 is a good shotgun, but in my opinion, the Beretta has a more reliable action and fewer parts that break. For what it's worth, I find I shoot better scores with my Beretta AL-390 than anything else that I've shot, which includes Remington 1100s, Browning A-5, Winchester 101, Browning 425, Benelli M1, & Remington 870s.

For sporting shotgun info, check out the Shotgun Report website at http://www.shotgunreport.com its archives contain a wealth of shotgun knowledge.
Old May 24, 1999, 12:55 PM   #7
fubsy

I gotta agree with that 390,,,,a mighty fine shotgun...and while its not one of the three you selected, it is mighty fine...fubsy.
Old May 24, 1999, 03:05 PM   #8
Rob Pincus

The best buy in competitive Shotguns is the AL 390.... I guess it is a good hunting gun as well. MY wife shoots a 390 and I have several friends who shoot them, most after trying my wifes or on our recommendation.

For a tactical gun, the Benneli is the way to go. I have an M1 w/ pistol grip and extended tube that I use for everything from Trap to Duck Hunting and tactical shooting. It is virtually unstoppable with anything but the lightest loads.

I understand you not wanting to "whore" your business out, but if that Benneli is an M1 it is wayyyy over priced. You should be able to get into a Benelli for under $800, easy.

------------------
-Essayons
Old May 26, 1999, 05:59 AM   #9
Hal

I looked at gun-shop #2 last night. Benelli M1 is around 850.00, acceptable price given the going prices in my area.
I also looked at the 390 and was impressed. It handeled better than the Rem 870, but not as nice as the Benelli. About the same as the Browning BPS. I also took another look at the Rem 870 and the 11-87.
I am leaning again towards the Rem 870, despite the recoil thing. Overall construction and reputation of the 870 may end up being the decideing factor. If I can't deal with the recoil, I'll just pass the 870 on to my son, and try something else.

Rob: RE:My comment about whoreing my business to the lowest price. The Rem 870 goes for $265.00 at my local gun shop. Down the road is a K-mart selling the same 870 for 209.00. That's a pretty big difference. Sometimes it isn't about money though. K-mart doesn't have a half a cup of hot black on the counter when they see me pull into the parking lot. K-mart doesn't support my right to own the gun of my choice. For K-mart,my purchase is just a bottom line figure, for the local dealer it's more $$ to keep him in my community. I do try to support all the local gun sellers, even the hated big K, after all, they do still sell guns and ammo. I don't mean to lend a sanctimonious (sp) attitude to this. I am not comfortably well off by any streach,but a few dollars isn't that important to me. All my guns remind me of the good conversation and advice I got when I purchased them. Somehow "Will that be cash or credit" doesn't seem to cut it for a good memory. I don't make a living with a gun, so for me a gun is not just another tool, it is a luxuray(sp) item. Kind of like my boat is to fishing. I enjoy fishing, whether or not I am in a boat. I catch more fish when I am in my boat, but I don't get any more enjoyment out of catching more fish. Fishing is fun.Sorry bout the length of my half-a$$ed explanation, butit's kind of hard to put into words.

------------------
(!)
Old May 26, 1999, 06:11 AM   #10
Cat

Hal,
You did alright with your explanation. Even I understand what you mean.
Cat
Old May 26, 1999, 04:31 PM   #11
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi Hal, I think you really need to take a look at the guage you buy before worrying about the gun. If you are that recoil sensitive, the 28 or 20 might be your best bet. The 870 in 20 ga. is a great gun. I have more fun and shoot better scores with my 20's than with my 12's.

I agree with you on the store thing. A gunshop in North Augusta SC has a sign in it that points to the Wal-Mart with the words "Yes, they have it cheaper". The point is that if you want to save the bucks, no problem. This guy does not stock the 870 expresses or the Savage 110 packages. But you won't get him to mount the scope free either...

Giz