The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 22, 2014, 05:33 AM   #1
tyson90

Just bought savage axis 308. Looking for accesories

I just bought a brand new savage axis 308. Spent $279 and had a 3-9x40 bushnell scope laying around I put on it. My parents have 15 acres, I got a good 500 yards of shooting range. I'm looking for some upgrades such as bi-pod, larger clip, adjust trigger, nicer scope, etc. just looking for a good site that has the accessories I need for the axis. Any suggestions?
And also I was thinking of painting the stock, what paint would be the best?
Old July 22, 2014, 07:21 AM   #2
precision_shooter

SWFA.com will have most of what you are looking for. I don't know of any company making larger capacity magazines for the rifle without needing other modifications.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old July 22, 2014, 10:12 AM   #3
taylorce1

You should have done your research and bought a Savage 10 Trophy Hunter package. It would have netted you better trigger and optics and a slightly better stock from the start for around $550. The Axis stock flexes too much to be really effective off the bi-pod, this means you'll need a better stock so send $ 100+ to Boyd's for a new stock. Trigger is going to be another $100+ for a Timney or Rifle Basix.

You can also search for trigger and stock mods for the Axis online. If you do the trigger mod be careful not to make the rifle unsafe by making the trigger to where it'll accidentally discharge. While doing the stock mods just keep in the back of your mind you're better off buying a Boyd's stock.

Bi-pod and scopes a a personal choice. I like Harris and Leupold the best but I don't know if you're willing to spend $150-200 on a bi-pod and $200-1000+ on optics. Then another $50-100 for better scope mounts.

I don't know of any larger magazines for the Axis, but go to Sharp Shooter Supply and look around. I know he makes a larger mags for the 10/110 model Savage rifles. I also know he's starting to make some parts for the Axis.
Old July 22, 2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Colt46

I think Boyd's has new stocks for the Axis

The factory tupperware is kind of bendy and may need stiffening or replacement.
You might want to think of Duracoat for stock and action painting. Cerakote is better, but ceramic and harder/more expensive to apply.
Don't be afraid to spend good money on quality glass. Minimum of $200-300 should be spent on quality optics.
You can probably adjust the trigger yourself. Youtube is full of vids showing how.
Old July 22, 2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Polinese

I agree you maybe should've done a bit more research. I like my axis quite a bit but as far as aftermarket and customizing they're not the best.

That said you can buy a aftermarket stock from boyds, thats what I did once they were available. Before that I filled in the forearm and the stock with epoxy putty, took probably 12 tubes or so and I really packed it in there. It added a lot of weight (but I like that) and really stiffed up the stock and made it much more solid but it still felt flimsy in the mag/trigger guard area since there wasn't much I could do there.

I'm not aware of any aftermarke mags for these and I'll be surprised if you ever see them.

Rifle Basix and Timney both have a trigger for the axis. I have the Timney in mind and it's just as good as the trigger on my Model 70 Stealth

I don't know what kind of scope you are looking for, or what you have mounted. There are several leupold models that are only a few hundred dollars that would work great. I have a Weaver Classic K on mine and for 150 or so it's been a oustanding scope. I mounted mine in a DNZ one piece mount. I also had irons installed on my rifle though honestly they were more for aesthetics than function... still haven't zeroed them haha.