The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 10, 2002, 04:22 PM   #1
BlackJack

FREE NEF Huntsman .50 primer carriers

I just got an NEF (H&R) .50 cal "Huntsman" muzzle loader from a local shop and it came with only one primer carrier--the little orange disk that holds the 209 primer in place. So I called up H&R 1871 and ordered some more. They told me they come 5 in a pack so I told them 10 should be enough--meaning 10 carriers/2 packs. Well they sent me 10 packs so I have enough primer carriers to fight the revolutionary war over again. They're cheap, and I can't send them back, so I thought I'd see if anyone else out there has a Huntsman and needs some. Just give me an address and I'll mail you a pack or two. Better hurry, deer season is coming!

By the way, this gun is the muzzle-loader version of the Handi-rifle and is really sweet--short, light, easy to use and clean and quite accurate. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to get into muzzle loading.
Old May 23, 2002, 11:10 AM   #2
GLOCKBUSTER

Opps! I replied to your other post on this subject. Thinking of getting a Huntsman / Handi-rifle (.243) combo gun. Never seen the Huntsman before. Could you give some specs, likes/dislikes?

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2002, 06:53 PM   #3
BlackJack

Sure thing. Sorry about the delay--been out of town. Short version is I like it a lot. It's short (24" barrel, including breech, and 39" overall). It's light and had a good feel--fits me well with the Handi-rifle stock. The sights are fully adjustable and have the light gathering dots that make them easier to use in low light (dusk or dawn, when deer are about most.) It's easy to load and fire, easy to keep clean since the breech plug screws out and you're just cleaning a tube. Mine came with sling swivels--I think someone added them. The primer carrier system is great--you can keep a pocket full of primers loaded in the carriers and you're ready to fire a charge very quickly. The only drawback with the gun I see is the screw-out ramrod which is awkward to use, even after you get used to it. On the range, you use a range rod, but out in the bush for 2d shot at a critter you will have to be a lot faster than I've managed to be so far. I've shot it with 100gr of Clean Shot and T/C 300gr XTP sabots and got great accuracy--2-3" groups at 100yds--good enough for deer hunting in FLA where most shots are much shorter. At $139 used it was a great buy and one of my favorite guns. I think even the new rifle at $230 or so is well worth it. Let me know if you have any questions. And I still have four packets of primer carriers left! Good luck.
Old May 28, 2002, 09:30 AM   #4
GLOCKBUSTER

Hey, thanks for the reply and info! Pretty sure I'm going to get one soon as I can find one in-stock somewhere.
Old June 12, 2002, 09:11 AM   #5
BlackJack

All the primer carriers are given away.