The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 28, 2012, 08:35 PM   #51
FloridaVeteran

KyJim - you make an excellent point that is worth noting, IMO, by anyone who has multiple SD semi-autos: "don't want to get confused with it's backwards safety (down for safe, up for fire)"

I am left-handed and learned this wisdom long, long ago because operating the controls of most pistols is more awkward for southpaws. In a tense moment, maybe in the dark, maybe when you just woke up, maybe when an animal is coming at you, if you have and use a manual safety you sure want it to function in the same manner and exactly in the same up/down direction. Even better if the slide release and mag release function similarly and are in the same general place.
Old September 28, 2012, 10:07 PM   #52
WVsig

Quote:
KyJim - you make an excellent point that is worth noting, IMO, by anyone who has multiple SD semi-autos: "don't want to get confused with it's backwards safety (down for safe, up for fire)"

I am left-handed and learned this wisdom long, long ago because operating the controls of most pistols is more awkward for southpaws. In a tense moment, maybe in the dark, maybe when you just woke up, maybe when an animal is coming at you, if you have and use a manual safety you sure want it to function in the same manner and exactly in the same up/down direction. Even better if the slide release and mag release function similarly and are in the same general place.
I personally do not worry about it on my 3914 because I carry it as a DA/SA gun. I decock it and carry it in DA mode so the backwards safety never comes into play.

Old September 29, 2012, 08:02 PM   #53
FYN409

Thanks for all of the input, it was a great help. Ended up getting the Walther PPS. Went into the LGS over planning on getting the Kahr CW9 but wanting to still compare a few. Ended up renting a PPS and CW9. Still was un-decided after that, really liked them both. Talked back and forth with the sales guy and finally landed on the PPS. PPS came with 2 mags, CW9 only one, I also liked the sights on the PPS a little more.

Brought it home a cleaned and oiled it and hope to hit the range this week and try her out. I don’t think I could have gone wrong with either, but so far I am happy with the PPS.

Next item of business is a holster. Thinking about a Cross Breed tuckable, any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old September 29, 2012, 08:13 PM   #54
CWKahrFan

Congrats on the PPS... Owners seem to like 'em A LOT.
Old September 29, 2012, 08:32 PM   #55
checkmyswag

Glad you reached a decision.

Hope you enjoy it.

Regarding holsters, Cross Breed is good. I like the White Hat holsters with the interchangeable kydex (what's the plural of kydex, kydei?)

http://www.whitehatholsters.com/
Old September 30, 2012, 02:27 PM   #56
ScotchMan

Congrats, you made a great decision. Brand loyalties are so subjective, but based on my research and limited experiences, Walther is a cut above Kahr in all respects (maybe not customer service? Now that Walther is separating from S&W, their CS will remain to be seen). So if it really came down to how many mags were in the box, I would definitely have taken the Walther over the Kahr on reputation alone. I think you'll be happy with your new gun!

For holsters, Crossbreed, High Noon, or Raven Concealment will all make you a great holster for your PPS, depending on what style you prefer.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old October 2, 2012, 02:55 AM   #57
fun2shoot

A Kahr K9.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:03 PM   #58
FYN409

Holster and range time

Well, took the PPS to the range tonight and ran about 100 rd though it. So far so good. I like the overall feel, and I can already tell it is getting smoother as more rounds go through it.

As for a holster I ended up ordering a Shielded Holster brand. It is similar to the cross breed and I have read good things about it, so we shall see.

Thanks again for everyone's input it was very helpful.

-Ryan
Old October 3, 2012, 11:23 PM   #59
jsiberians

LC9

My EDC CCW is the LC9 Ruger. SD load I use is Win. Ranger TS 147 HP.
I CCW in a Ritchies IWB holster at 4 oclock.
The LC9 is easy to CC and very accurate. Recoil is much lighter than I expected and a pleasure to shoot. Target ammo I most often shoot is WWB.
It is clean, accuarte, dependable, available, and fairly inexpensive.

Tags
9mm , conceal carry , single stack