The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 10, 2001, 04:11 PM   #1
jakester

Gun Choice for IDPA & IPSC/USPSA

I have not competed in IPSC shooting for about 8 years and I'm curious what everyone is shooting these days. Guns? Calibres? I had competed with a Springfield Amory 1911A1 in 45 ACP. I am thinking about getting back into the sport and possibly shooting IDPA too. Any suggestions out there on a handgun and calibre that would be a good dual purpose gun for IDPA and IPSC/USPSA? The 1911A1 is great, but would like to get on a more even plain with a higher cap handgun. Have looked at both the CZ 97B (45ACP) and EAA Witness (10mm). Any feedback on these possible choices? I know...I know....get a Glock. Sorry, nice guns, but after learning and shooting the 1911A1, I like a gun that feels like a gun in your hand. Appreciate any feedback.
Old July 10, 2001, 06:39 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

At my home USPSA club all makes show up. We have 1911s and Rugers and Glocks and EAAs (me) and CZ's and SIGs and S&Ws and Berettas and compacts and Open-Class and wheels.

I regularly use Witnesses in 9x19, 9x21, 38 Super, 40 S&W, and 41AE. I shoot my 1911 (Caspian, of course). And I sometimes bring the 41 or 44 Redhawk. Or a GP100.

I believe in most places you visit ALL guns are welcome.

It's the caliber of the shooter.......and we have a class for everything.

--------------------------------------------------

"all my handguns are competition handguns"
Old July 15, 2001, 07:40 PM   #3
banjobart

Most shooters in my area start out with a Para Ordnance P-16-40. The gun shoots very well for USPSA/IPSC and will also shoot in IDPA ESP division. The new guns come with a coupon for two high-cap mags.

With the new USPSA Limited 10 division you can shoot competitively with your old gun and also shoot in IDPA CDP division.
Old July 19, 2001, 07:43 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

I would say that glocks are more prevalent in our idpa matches. Haven't paid attention at ipsc matches. I use my g-34, g-17 or Kimber 1911. I also love 1911s. But a glock with good sites is perfection.
Old July 19, 2001, 12:46 PM   #5
AndyP

For IPSC Limited 10 and IDPA ESP, my sense is that the best all around gun would be a 1911 chambered for 40 S&W. I shoot a Glock 35 and 17, but if I were to go 1911, the Les Baer Premier II in 40 would be at the top of my shopping list.

If you get some 45 cal 10 round magazines, your 1911 in 45 would do just fine in IPSC Limited 10 Division. With standard mags it would be great for IDPA CDP.

If you want to shoot IPSC Limited with hicaps, a double stack would be in order. STI and SVI make the best of these but if you want to shoot IDPA you have to be careful of the options you get, e.g., no long dust covers are allowed, must have bushing barrel, etc.
Old July 19, 2001, 04:03 PM   #6
The Plainsman

Glad you asked, jakester.....

I've never shot either one, but I think I'd like to try my hand at one or the other, maybe both. Let me add my question to the bunch - since what I know about IDPA or IPSC, if you put it in a pea pod, it would rattle like a BB in a boxcar.

How would a wheel gun work in either one? I notice that some folks mention them, but all the video I've even seen of these matches, seems to show only auto's. If a revolver would work, would I be at a significant disadvantage compared to an auto? Aren't there certain ones that require a .45 (which I don't have and don't care for)?

Whaddaya think?
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old July 20, 2001, 11:34 AM   #7
RickB

Shooters compete agianst only shooters using like equipment. Revolvers are scored separately from Glocks, which are scored separately from trick race guns.
A 4" Smith 625 would be a good gun for both IPSC and IDPA. Limited 10 is really taking off here - not really attracting a lot of new shooters, but giving the single stackers a place to play on an even field. I don't really see any advantage to a single stack .40, but if you are going with a hi-cap auto, then .40 is probably the way to go. For USPSA Limited 10 and IDPA Custom Defensive Pistol divisions, a single stack .45 is perfect. USPSA now has a happy home for service autos, so you can shoot a Glock, SIG, Beretta, etc. in Production division as well as IDPA Stock Service Pistol. A buddy of mine built what he calls "Frankenglock"; using two barrels, two frames, and one slide, he has equipment for IDPA SSP and USPSA Open, Limited, L10, and Production (before the bone-headed 10mm-to-Enhanced Service Pistol Division rule change, it would have worked well in IDPA CDP as well).
Old July 21, 2001, 01:00 AM   #8
jakester

Shot my first IPSC Match in 6 yrs

Well, didn't buy a "new competition gun yet". Used the old Springfield Armory 1911A1 45ACP. What an experience! I was one of only two guys in my shooting squad with a 45ACP....heck, single stack too. Pulled out the old 152gr/1200fps reloads for my comp gun and shot them in the 5" barrel. Not sure if I wouldn't have been quicker back on target with 230 gr ball ammo. Bought some 200gr SWC's for the next match.

I am considering an EAA Witness 10mm for the Limited 10 class. I keep hearing these horror stories about the Witness, but the forum threads don't sound too bad. Majority of the shooters were using 40S&W HiCaps. I just don't have the stomach to dump that much into a ParaOrd or STI. Glocks...sorry, grew up with a 1911 and have a mental block over material used to make a pistol. Besides, in a defense situation, you can aways resort to pistol whipping if the bullets run out.
Old July 29, 2001, 11:06 AM   #9
Singlestack

Jakester, I have been shooting Limited 10 for 1 1/2 years with a custom Springfield Defender. Get some Wilson 10 rd mags and go give those 40s hell! I have tried a lot of different loads and I think I have found the one I like best. I started with 200gr SWC's and since have tried everything from 175gr SWC's to 230gr LRN's. I found that the lighter bullets seemed a lot "snappier" (more muzzel flip) than the heavier ones at the same power factor. I am now shooting 225gr TRC's and I like them a lot. I also get 228 more rounds out of a lb of powder using the 225's VS the 200's at a power factor of about 168.
You don't need a new gun to shoot Limited 10! Just spruce up that old single stack with a good trigger, mag well, and a Caspian 40 thou fiber optic front sight and a Bomar low mount rear and have fun.