The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 04:30 PM   #1
JoeBob

My Classifieds ad "poofed"?

I had a classifieds ad posted and it recently "poofed"...no word of why it was removed.

Anyone else had this happen? I was told "commercial" classifieds were OK as long as I followed The Forum Classified Rules here:. I had 1 ad, not an outlandish amount I would assume .

Quote:
1. You must be a member in good standing for at least 30 days and have 25 MEANINGFUL posts in the other discussion forums. In other words, "+1", emoticons etc. without a discernable statement involved do not apply. Postings in the Gun Show Forum, with the exception of the Feedback subforum, do not add to post count.
My "stats"

Been a member 60 days+, and 36 posts.

Can anyone shed light on it? I'm all for playing by the rules, but...if the rules are stated, and one follows them..seems like there should be some "follow up" for a deleting of a classifieds ad.

Happy Memorial Day to Veterans as well ...minus those whose ads get "poofed"
Old May 31, 2010, 04:51 PM   #2
S&W Kinda Guy

You really should take this up with staff through a PM, because this is probably going to make them a little irratated.

But, did you put your location in the title?
example
WTB Smith & Wesson Model 10 in KY
Old May 31, 2010, 05:02 PM   #3
JoeBob

Wasn't for sure who to PM as I don't know who did it...so???

I believe I did (only forum that requires it in the title that I'm on, most have a drop-down menu to select a state if required for the forum), but I don't know for sure. I was surprised if it was closed for something like that I would have gotten a PM to update it
Old May 31, 2010, 05:17 PM   #4
S&W Kinda Guy

If you didnt know who to contact, you can always scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at the Moderators of that section, and that will let you know who you need to talk to.

Here, I took this pic as an example...
Old May 31, 2010, 05:21 PM   #5
atlantis

I've had ads disappear. It was invariably because I left the location out of the title.

Post it again, only make sure you have the location in the title.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

This was the Title of the Thread that went, POOF!

WTS AR-22 and 10-22 Mags/50rd Drums 15% off!

Notice what's missing?
Old May 31, 2010, 06:07 PM   #7
DiscoRacing

State in the title
Old May 31, 2010, 07:21 PM   #8
Bud Helms

Location in the title. State as a minimum.
Old June 1, 2010, 01:44 PM   #9
JoeBob

Fair enough. Seems odd they would "poof" one without a PM telling why. I'll relist it....
Old June 1, 2010, 02:48 PM   #10
rbernie

No, it doesn't seem odd at all. Do you have any idea how MANY ads go up here in a given day? I can't imagine trying to find the time to PM the author of every malformed ad....
Old June 1, 2010, 02:53 PM   #11
JoeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbernie
No, it doesn't seem odd at all. Do you have any idea how MANY ads go up here in a given day? I can't imagine trying to find the time to PM the author of every malformed ad....
It looks like approximately ~10 a day in the "gear" section. It takes all of about 5 seconds to send a PM "Fix your lack of state mentioned in your ad or it'll be removed". I've been on forums for years....this has been my experience in other forums, that they'll just send a message rather than poof.
Old June 1, 2010, 06:50 PM   #12
Bud Helms

10 day (in one forum) is 300 a month. Your 5 seconds is more like 30 seconds. That's two hours or more in a month ... in just one of the forums. But that's not the point.

The point is, it's posted in the rules for everyone to read. Some get it, some don't. Those that read it don't have a gripe, those that don't, do.

This is actually one of the more minor jobs in which we engage. We actually spend time reading as many posts as we can ... even participate when we can. And have our own discussions in the Staff Lounge. There's no reason why your inability or refusal to abide by the posted rules (as most do) should take up anyone's time. It just so happens the time to delete a thread is about 10-15 seconds. Deleting a post in one of the Buy, Sell & Trade forums for this infraction is one of the very, very few automatic actions we take. Most actions take some judgement and thought. We spend hours here and sometimes don't delete a single post ... just read. Every day.
Old June 1, 2010, 09:30 PM   #13
JoeBob

I understand the logic behind it, and it definitely can be poofed if someone feels the need, thats the choice of whoever is in charge. Just seems to be a bit more "community" like to tell someone
Old June 1, 2010, 10:40 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I understand the logic behind it, and it definitely can be poofed if someone feels the need, thats the choice of whoever is in charge. Just seems to be a bit more "community" like to tell someone"

You were told.

In the rules that you agreed to read, and by which you agreed to abide, when you started posting in the Gun Show forums.

To be blunt, it's not staff's fault that you didn't read the posting rules. They're right there at the top of every Gun Show forum.

They're also clearly posted on the main forums list right above the links and descriptions to the three Gun Show forums.

To paraphrase a tried and true aspect of our legal system, ignorance of the rules is no excuse, especially when they're right there.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 1, 2010, 11:04 PM   #15
rjrivero

As an un-interested spectator, I would recommend this thread get locked and allowed to drift away.

Moderating a board as popular as this one is no easy task. I don't blame the mods/admins for expecting folks to read the rules. Especially since they're stuck to the top of the calssified section.

However, I understand the desire of the Original Poster for the courtesy of a PM in instances like this as well. Understand, it's not a matter of being rude, it's a matter of the work load for the mods and admins is already pretty big.

Also understand that most mods are volunteers. It's a thankless job and not worth the pay.

It seems that everyone has expressed their argument and I don't see how this thread will lead to anything but hurt feelings.

On that basis, I purpose this thread get locked.
Old June 1, 2010, 11:48 PM   #16
Mal H
Staff

Agreed - and done.
Closed Thread