The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 14, 2007, 07:10 AM   #1
870pilot

Why a "shotgun" only season in some places?

Your opinions wanted... for or against... what is the rationale behind a shotgun only hunting season in some parts of the country?

On the walk back from the range last night, after putting a bunch of slugs downrange, through a variety of materials, i thought about a a small easily-fragmented bullet versus a huge brush-penetrating slug lumbering along.

Is it a safety issue? political issue? Both?

thanks

'Pilot
Old August 14, 2007, 07:47 AM   #2
FirstFreedom

It's mostly a *perceived* safety issue. Yes, a slug penetrates through brush much more over the range at which it's in the air, but if there are no obstructions, a rifle bullet carries much further (potentially) before biting the dust. I believe that that is the concern; safety over long ranges in areas where there are a lot of small communities and a much denser rural population - farms dotting the landscape.
Old August 14, 2007, 07:56 AM   #3
Doyle

I can see the wisdom in crowded hunting areas. A slug doesn't ricochet - a high powered rifle will.
Old August 14, 2007, 08:05 AM   #4
john1911

Isn't it silly nowadays to have these shotgun only areas. Modern slugs increase the range of shotguns; not to the range of centerfire rifles, but considerably more than Foster slugs.

It's the same way with muzzle loading rifles.
Old August 14, 2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A rifle bullet can create a serious wound or even death at two or three miles. What's the maximum range of a shotgun slug?

A 12-gauge slug is around 5/8" in diameter; blunt-nosed, and has a velocity at the muzzle of some 1,300 ft/sec. Unless you're deliberately firing at a high angle, it ain't going far, even with a ricochet. You bounce a rifle bullet off a rock and you still have a mile or so of worry room.

Art
Old August 14, 2007, 09:09 AM   #6
mikejonestkd

It is odd that in my area I can use a shotgun or pistol only because of the relative density of people near hunting land....but they allow me to use a pistol in a rifle caliber. I am fine with it...my .308 win pistol is a better choice for me than a slug gun.

Last edited by mikejonestkd; August 14, 2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old August 14, 2007, 09:09 AM   #7
JWT

Definitely related to the range of a slug vs. a rifle bullet. That's why shotgun only rules almost alway apply to more populated areas. For many years most of southern Wisconsin was restricted to shotgun only for deer while rifle was allowed in the northern counties based on that 'logic'.
Old August 14, 2007, 09:38 AM   #8
Wild Bill Bucks

I'm not in an area where we are limited to a shotgun, but being that 90% of the shots made on Whitetails are between 50 and 100 yards, I don't see it as being much of a handicap. With the modern slugs now days, they are a devistating weapon at those ranges. If it saves just one life, then it would be worth it.
Old August 14, 2007, 09:50 AM   #9
ZeroJunk

It would be interesting to see the statistics on hunting accidents involving people not participating in the hunt.I suppose it happens, but I have never heard of it happening in this area.
Old August 14, 2007, 10:01 AM   #10
davlandrum

The only problem with statistics about stuff like this is there are too many variables to try and tie cause and effect. If someone injures another with a rifle, there is a chance that injury could have occured with a shotgun as well. You would have to have very detailed data regarding range from point of shot to point of injury, some way of determining if richocet was involved, etc.

When I hunted in Maryland, a lot of the state was shotgun only, but I don't think I shot at any deer that I would not have been just as comfortable shooting with a 30-30 or a 30-06. You know, that old thing in the back of your mind - what is behind the target...
Old August 14, 2007, 10:20 AM   #11
rantingredneck

Same rationale here in NC for rules in certain counties that you must be elevated at least 8ft. off the ground to hunt with a rifle. You'll be shooting at a downward angle and there is less risk of the bullet arcing a long distance and injuring someone.

To those who don't see the logic of it, and have never heard of someone away from the hunt being injured, remember that from a state regulatory perspective they are trying to manage risk. How many accidental rifle shootings near hunting areas would it take to get whole swaths of territory closed to hunting period? My guess would be not many. I'll gladly stick to shotguns in denser areas if it keeps hunting safe and available.
Old August 14, 2007, 10:27 AM   #12
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Same rationale here in NC for rules in certain counties that you must be elevated at least 8ft. off the ground to hunt with a rifle. You'll be shooting at a downward angle and there is less risk of the bullet arcing a long distance and injuring someone.
Very interesting. I did not know that. Not a half bad l'il idea.
Old August 14, 2007, 10:29 AM   #13
rantingredneck

Certain counties carry that rule and certain game lands do as well. Depends on nearby population centers.
Old August 14, 2007, 12:22 PM   #14
ZeroJunk

I just looked at the NC statistics for 2004 -2005.Six fatalities.Three fell from a tree stand.One shot himself with a shotgun getting it out of the truck.One was shot while dove hunting when he stood up in front of another hunter.I couldn't find a detail on the sixth.

It appears that nationwide most of the people who are actually shot were from being mistaken for game,a deer usually.

I agree that if it makes the anti's happy it's a good thing to limit hunting to shotguns in populated areas.
Old August 18, 2007, 06:56 PM   #15
Lavid2002

yeah

rifle goes too far NJ only allowed muzz. shotty, and .22lr
Old August 18, 2007, 07:20 PM   #16
Rembrandt

Iowa DNR has explained it this way....since the state is a large livestock producer and the close proximity of farmsteads, as well as land being fairly flat, they don't want the risk of centerfire rifle rounds carrying for miles strikeing people and livestock. If you saw how crazy it gets around here during shotgun season, you'd know why that makes some sense.

In the last two years Iowa has opened a limited rifle season in the lower portion of the state where the ground has more hills and less populated. (Doe's only in January). Blackpowder and straight walled pistol cartridges have about the same range and ballistics as shotgun slugs.
Old August 18, 2007, 10:21 PM   #17
defence18

My father told me of a non-hunting participant being shot here in northern Jersey years ago. A guy was hunting squirrels and stray 22 bullet hit a college student in the arm. Not sure if the guy was hunting legally or not, or how far the the girl was from the hunting. Through my knowledge of the area, I know it was at least several hundred yards. I do not know how far he was across the river however.
Old August 19, 2007, 10:53 AM   #18
Yellowfin

I didn't think there were that many people using rifles who weren't in treestands in the first place. Don't most hunters do that anyway as a common sense safety rule both for their own safety (to avoid being shot-only deer on the ground) and everyone elses? You won't see anyone in Alabama on the ground unless it's buckshot. We just say no to slugs.
Old August 19, 2007, 09:00 PM   #19
langenc

I know that a bullet my 06 held level 5' above ground level will not travel over 500 yards. Held at a 45 how far will it travel.

Would someone with one of those ballistic programs please calculate::

165 gr bullet at 3000'/sec at various angles related to the ground. I know the box for 22LR said for years -1 mile and now may say 1.5 mi??

Thanks