The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 3, 2000, 01:28 PM   #1
Covert Mission

I am in a quandary. I am left-handed mostly, but somewhat ambidextrous, and my RIGHT eye is dominant (dammit!). I shoot handguns left-handed A-OK (cheating my head over to use the right eye), but for rifle shooting with scopes, I'm thinking of switching to right-handed shooting. My dominant right eye is about 20/30, so I'll be able to shoot without glasses if I switch to right handed shooting.

If I stay shooting left-handed, this is the problem: my left eye is 20/50, with an astigmatism. I need to use my glasses shooting with left eye, but even with correction, the view thru the scope is elliptical and not round, due to the astigmatism. I'm not sure what problems this will cause in shooting, if any.

The logical solution would be to switch to right-handed rifle shooting if I can adapt, and then be shooting through my dominant, strong eye with no astigmatism.

Impulsively, I went out and bought a Ruger 77 .270 Left Hand model last night (without taking my glasses). I've been borrowing a right hand bolt gun, and using it fairly comfortably. Now, I realize I may have screwed up, and will need to sell the new gun (I think I have a buyer, fortunately).

Any expert or informed opinions here?? I REALLY appreciate the help, and if you want to e-mail a reply, I'm at:
[email protected]
Old November 3, 2000, 02:03 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

No expert, but there are plenty here. I'll let this thread stand here for a bit and then transfer it to "Rifle".

Might want to consider that shooting a rifle from the opposite shoulder is not really a drawback. I tryed it once and using your strong hand to support the rifle while your weak hand works the action is surprisingly fast.

Take a look here - http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/...ML/001585.html

Might want to try a quick search too.

Giz
Old November 3, 2000, 03:02 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm guessing that learning to shoot from the right side will be better for you, overall, given the factor of your dominant eye. Mostly, it'll just take a bunch of time/practice. Fortunately, for what you'd be doing, dry firing at home will do you as well as range time.

Good luck,

Art
Old November 3, 2000, 03:29 PM   #4
BadMedicine

I sometimes practice shooting left handed. When we're out burning ammo and what-not It's fun to mix it up a little, and make a little challange. I've noticed however that left handed shooting isn't too much harder for me. It does make quite a bit of difference with bigger guns, that kick more, but for .22's ans stuff you don't really notice.
One time I was like "I just can't seem to get light in the scope" It took me a minute to realize that I was leaning over the stock and looking out the cornor of my right eye. And I thought my scope was broken.
Old November 3, 2000, 04:32 PM   #5
PeteN

I am right handed, but left eye dominant. I have taught myself to shoot left handed. works pretty good. Some guns are hard like bolt actions, but I stick to semis and levers and I do ok. It is kinda a pain, but really the only way I could use a scope.
Old November 6, 2000, 07:22 PM   #6
Covert Mission

Thanks all. I have decided to switch sides, in order to use my dominant eye. I don't think it will be too difficult. I hope the dealer who sold me the Ruger 77 LH will take it back... they have a model 70 Featherweight in .30-06 I covet!