The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 8, 2004, 11:03 PM   #26
stevelyn

Do not go by the % of OC in pepper sprays. What you need to be concerned with is the Scoville Heat Units or temperature of the spray for a lack of a better word.
A pepper spray product can contain 10% or more OC, but have only about 500,000 SHUs. A 2-5% spray OTOH can have 2,000,000 or more SHUs. The only thing the concentration of OC affects is the time required for decontamination.
Most pepper sprays from reputable manufacturers run in the 1.5 to 2 million SHU range. Punch II, BodyGuard OC10, CAP-STUN, and Saber are in the 2 million SHU range (as some others I can't think of right now). FOX 5.2 is 5.2 million SHUs and Vexor V7 is 15 million SHU.
Only problem is the weenies at Zarc who manfacture and market both Vexor and Cap-Stun refuse to sell it to anyone other than LE/GOVT agencies.
Old December 9, 2004, 04:32 AM   #27
AUG

I have put devastator 10% on more than a few folks and it worked like a charm. I never gave the spray much thought when I was in uniform because what we used seemed to work pretty good.

When I was in the academy they put us in a tear gas tent and that sucked! They did not spray us in the face with the OC. For some reason they made us line up with our backs to the instructor and they sprayed the OC over our heads and let the stuff "fall" on us.

I never got the whole "needing to be sprayed" thing that some departments did. Hell I didn't have to get shot to know what a gun does to you!
Old December 11, 2004, 01:37 AM   #28
Danindetroit

They do the same thing in the military, put a "tear gaa" canister in a 55 gal. drum, and march you around, and then try to put on your gas mask. At least when my father was in.
Old December 13, 2004, 01:45 AM   #29
goosevr1

On the days I carry the spray, it's Bodyguard LE-10 in either Foam or Stream. 10% OC and 2 million SHU's I believe. Amazing stuff.
Old December 24, 2004, 11:39 AM   #30
PSE

i only stock 1 pepperspray in the store.
FOX LABS.
everything else is horse pi$$.
Old December 24, 2004, 12:47 PM   #31
willfriedman956

"I never got the whole "needing to be sprayed" thing that some departments did. Hell I didn't have to get shot to know what a gun does to you!"

Having been in LE for 11 years with 3 different agencies, I found it Ironic to be sprayed at the academy and then again at the department.

All of my defensive tactics instructors have told me that since the spray will more than likely be used more frequently than our service weapon, we need to be exposed to it. Both directly and indirectly. My current department prohibit's OC training with application and boy the instructors are not happy about it. But I have 3 certificates. Academy, Dept 1 & 2 showing that I have had application.

But contamination is the key. You spray a suspect you are responsible. You spray somebody and transport them you are bound to get some on you. Then... Poof. Major pain.....

Our stuff is 500,000 to 2 million SHU's and contains 5 to 10% Capsaicin. The burning agent.

But the stuff is good. Not 100% effective, nothing is. But it sure beats fighting and wrestling with everybody.
Old February 2, 2005, 03:54 AM   #32
WWSD_9305

Being extremely familiar in OC deployment, I have been sprayed with, and consulted with longtime instructors of different types of OC, CN, and CS variations.

However, the one that I have found most effective, and have carried, and used for almost five years now, is the MK-4 ballistic stream from DEF-TEC.

I have seen it work on almost every person, (-1) and animal, (except badgers ) and have never had a problem. (Just don't spray it into a 30mph wind after a foot pursuit.)

Don't listen to all the talk about SHU's because it doesn't account for a whole lot. Its just mostly numbers so certain companies can entice you to buy their product. (Mine's Bigger Than Yours Theory )

The real general rule for OC is, "No Pain, No Gain". For the most part, your hoping on a physical reaction to the spray, as opposed to psychological. If they're too, "doped up", or drunk to feel pain, chances are, its just going to piss em off.

Personally, if your lookin for good sprays, stick with OC, (the ones that have food-grade ingrediants), and avoid the others with harsh chemicals. Easier decontamination if you have an "accidental emmission".
Old February 8, 2005, 07:05 AM   #33
Gomez

Hmm. Bring up an two month old post to advertise for a company and touting the Def-Tec party line about 'food grade products' and 'ignoring those pesky SHUs'. Gotta luv it. :barf:
Old February 21, 2005, 12:19 AM   #34
partyguy816

I've been looking at getting some spray, but I can't decide between the regular spray and the foam. What is the opinions of the foam?
Old February 21, 2005, 01:56 AM   #35
38splfan

Spray.

115 gr. JHP from a 3.5" barrel is the most effective spray I can think of.
Old February 21, 2005, 06:47 PM   #36
abelew

Don't know much about the foam vs. the spray. Look at the concentration of OC in it. Some have very little, some have a lot. Buy one and try it out, so that you know whats going to happen when you spray it (not saying spray yourself, unless you really are a glutton for punishment).
Old February 21, 2005, 09:06 PM   #37
seb5

I've been sprayed several times and have sprayed many folks over the course of 15 years. You can get fog, cone, straight stream, or foam. I've seen people wipe off the foam and throw it back at you. The fog is very easy to be downwind of. If you're inside it is great. The straight stream IMHO is the best if you're calm able to put it where you want it. For most purposes I prefer the cone shaped blast. I'm not even sure you can still but the fog. I think the cone replaced it. As far as brands I think the research has already been done. I don't see much difference. I'm issued defense technology in the 4 oz. but usually carry a 2 oz of a product called blue hades. I'll have to look to see who the maker is but it is the shiznet.
Old February 21, 2005, 09:41 PM   #38
patentnonsense

In some states, BTW, it's legal to buy "bear repellant" sprays at concentrations which aren't legal for "personal defense" sprays - does anyone know if those are significantly better?
Old February 22, 2005, 01:09 AM   #39
partyguy816

Thanks for the advise about the foam. I was told else where that they have seen them wipe the foam off and throw it back. So it's kinda funny you mentioned that. I ordered 2 cans, one stream in 4oz and fog in 2oz. both are fox.
Old February 22, 2005, 11:44 AM   #40
seb5

Fox is good to go.
Old February 22, 2005, 08:08 PM   #41
Relayer

I went into the military back in the day. Yes, they made sure you got a snoot full to give you confidence in your equipment (gas mask), and to put you in a situation where you masked up under somewhat "realistic" circumstances, ie all at once you're in a gassed location, and you hear "MASK!" and and you get that thing on and cleared in a damn big hurry while blowing snot, tears, and choking half to death. Ahh, good times :barf:

Probably somewhat similar reasons for getting the treatment in LE.

You don't want the first time you get hosed to be with your BG in your grill. I think it's a good idea, in moderation

Cheers!
Old March 5, 2005, 05:52 AM   #42
Ligament

Vexor does sell to the public
http://www.vexor.com/index_consumer.html

However I'm not sure if it is EXACTLY the same as the Vexor V7 unit.

Best regards.
Old March 8, 2005, 09:14 PM   #43
ScoutinStAugustine

"5% of 2,000,000 SHU Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) ...with ultraviolet dye for police identification for at least 24 hours"... issued to Florida Probation Officers. The better news is that I can also carry my HK USP 9C with Remington Golden Sabres. Hopefully I'll never have to use either.
Old March 9, 2005, 12:50 AM   #44
Cold Thunder

Vexor spray

The consumer version of the Vexor spray is exactly the same as the LEO version. The only difference is in the LEO version you have 1.0 oz. of spray, where as in the consumer version, you only get 0.75 oz. The vexor spray is very effective. In fact, I thought that the Cap-stun spray (also maufactured by Zarc) was very effective as well. Have had nothing but good results with both.
Old March 16, 2005, 03:10 AM   #45
djw6611

Wow only .75oz? I was thinking of ordering a can but that is kind of small. I have a feeling they made that so because in New Jersy the maximum size of OC for civilians is .75oz and they probably wanted to sell to as many states as possible. Oh well.

BTW how much different is the Vexor formula from the cap-stun?
Old September 14, 2005, 11:39 AM   #46
Jamesmark72

The Vexor is 15 million SHU before they mix it. They even say on their site that the SHU is meaningless. Fox does pretty good but if your using stream it takes awhile for it to do any good on someone wearing glasses. I use to sell nothing but Fox although i've tried many, if not all brands. I had a few friends wear safety glasses and hold their breath and close their eyes to try to find a stream that would work as i got tired of the blowback from oc cone and foggers. The Fox would burn their face and take about 45 seconds to shut their eyes. I also tried DPS. Most of you probably never heard of it, but it's got almost twice as much pepper in it as Fox and the the Carrier is Perchlorethyene-it opens up the pores and breaks down the oils of the skin. It had about the same results although testers did say it was a little hotter and took alot longer to decontaminate them. I also tried V4"s Shotgun Stream by ETGI. It starts out as a stream and at about 6ft starts to spread apart into a shotgun splatter, At about 15-20ft it covers an area about 2ft across. Every tester said immediately they couldnt breathe and couldnt open their eyes and asked if they could have rushed me they said their was no way. The weird thing was they all also said it was much more intense than even the Vexor which i've tried in the past and this company claims only 1 million SHU. I also testify to this as i try it on my arms and count the seconds it takes to work and intensity and the V4 is absolute instant burning with the Fox and DPS coming in a tie for 2nd taking about 15 seconds. Another awsome thing is, this stuff is a real confidence builder, not only because it works but because of almost no blowback unless there's some serious wind and because every bottle i have tried has sprayed head on of at least 23ft and just under 35ft if arching the bottle.
Old September 19, 2005, 11:02 AM   #47
dawg23

Quote from Jamesmark72: "The Vexor is 15 million SHU before they mix it. They even say on their site that the SHU is meaningless."

Where on their website do they say SHU's are meaningless ??
Old September 20, 2005, 09:20 AM   #48
John Ringo

I carry Fox 5.3 everywhere I go.

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old September 20, 2005, 11:15 AM   #49
Jamesmark72

http://www.zarc.com/english/other_sp...ness_test.html
Old October 20, 2005, 09:09 PM   #50
rapier144

pepper spray

All i carry is sabre used it alot works for 4 and 2 legged animals. sprayed neighbors two pits that was fighting broke them right up they didnt like it one bit