The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 4, 2007, 08:55 AM   #1
dogfood

I'll bite ... what is the Mossberg 930 SPX?

OK, there's been several threads on the 930 SPX ... i.e. who has one, where to get one, etc. Seems to have a following.

But there is nothing on the Mossberg website showing an SPX anything. I assume it's a standard 930 action - in what appears to be a "tactical" (whatever that means) configuration (based on pictures in other threads)? True? If so, what makes it different than the 930 Tactical with the ghost ring set-up?

Just curious,
dogfood
Old November 4, 2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

I've got one....

The local Dick's Sporting Goods has one on the shelf for $550...

Go to the Mossberg site, click on "firearms", then click on "930". The gun that pos up first is the one with the "Tactical" breacher barrel, click on the little triange that takes you to the next gun...

They are very nice shooting shotguns, they hold 7 in the tube and 1 in the chamber, they will shoot anything that you put in them from 3" magnums to very light target loads. The gun is very easy to clean and recoil is very mild.

The SPX has an 18-1/2" barrel, magazine extention, a picatinny rail mounted to the receiver, LPA front and rear sights. The tactical doesn't have any of these, but it does have the "Breacher" barrel...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old November 4, 2007, 07:53 PM   #3
dogfood

Thanks, Smitty. I was going straight to the spec sheet, which doesn't state "SPX" anywhere. It lists two models as "tactical" - the SPX is the 2nd one.

Now, from looking at the picture, it appears that you could make this firearm double as a field gun. You would need a 930 field barrel (26 or 28" with tubes) ... and you would just need to remove the rear sight base. You might also want to get a standard length magazine cap (which might require a different length mag tube spring).

Would that work? "Why", you ask? I'm simply trying to rationalize my next purchase.

dogfood
Old November 4, 2007, 09:10 PM   #4
Smitty in CT

I have put my field barrel on the SPX, the rail isn't in the way (too much).

You can leave the extention on, you'll just need to make a longer "duck plug"

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old November 4, 2007, 09:33 PM   #5
ebutler462

If you want a wicked looking HD tactical gun, put a deluxe Polychoke on the short barrel. I've seen photos of various guns with them and those tacticals look real cool with a Poly riding on their snout.