The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 20, 2015, 06:12 PM   #1
siloshooter

slide fire.

anyone got one ? like it or not ?

pros ... cons ?

just a thought . looks like a great time , but a sure way to burn some ammo

anywhere got em at a reasonable price ?

thanks
Old March 20, 2015, 06:20 PM   #2
zachattack2

What would u use it on would depend the cost. If you have a 10/22 or like a ar15 22 you can get a slide fire stock and shoot tons. I would recommend on putting it on a cheap caliber.

I have heard the slide fire stocks are very nice, durable, etc, and performs nice. It does feel different to use one though.

What do you want to put it on. I found one for a ar15 and ruger 10/22.

Zach
Old March 20, 2015, 09:06 PM   #3
Gunfixr

I don't have one, but I have installed them for others.
They do not appear very durable to me, I personally would not buy one.
If you want one, I would only consider it a range toy, not something serious.
Old March 20, 2015, 09:12 PM   #4
skizzums

it's just a fun toy for a giggle here and there. something you will use maybe one or two times yourself. then only bring it out when you have friends around. they are alotta fun, I can't imagine them working very well on a .22LR, but who knows, if they sell em then they prob work. super quick way to blow through $$. they are actually not as bad as I thought they would be at staying on target, a close target anyways. they have a competitor out there that sell for 99$. check tactical ambush I think.
Old March 20, 2015, 11:53 PM   #5
chris in va

I've seen a grand total of one at our busy range. The guy was having some trouble getting it to work consistently.

Frankly if you want simulated FA, just bump fire the darn thing and save yourself the $$$.
Old March 21, 2015, 11:12 AM   #6
rcase1234

They do work. I don't have the slide fire but I have the bump fire systems one for $99.99 and it works very well! With a .22LR we could only get it to do like 3 round bursts with 40gr ammo with the occasional jam. With a 5.56 I was able to dump a 40rnd PMAG magazine. It's fun here and there but the amount of ammo starts to add up real quick and it sure does heat things up on your gun. Now the only time I get it out is cause someone saw a video of it and if they know you got one they'll ask to try it out. More of a novelty item
Old March 21, 2015, 12:31 PM   #7
jsust

I also own the cheaper bump fire systems. It is fun and I do not regret purchasing it. I believe you should buy the cheaper bfs band over the slide fire brand. Use the money you will save to purchase ammo!
Old March 21, 2015, 05:47 PM   #8
EchoM70

Pros:
It's fun

Cons:
It's expensive
Old March 22, 2015, 12:11 AM   #9
Machineguntony

I've demoed the slide fire and bump fire systems. I understand why people pooh pooh the systems, as I used to thumb my noses at them. But I've changed my mind, and I believe they're great, both philosophically and functionally.

They simulate FA almost perfectly, with the difference being that on a bump fire system, you pull the fore end forward.

They work well as long as you read the instructions and assume a full auto shooting position.

The fact that some people have problems with slidefire/bump fire systems is not really a statement as to the efficacy of the slidefire system. I let friends and family shoot my F/A guns, and they usually have trouble until I adjust their stance and teach them how to shoot a F/A. My point is that people have trouble with any continuous firing system, whether it be F/A or bump fire.

I saw a guy at our range using a slidefire, and he was having trouble using it. After I gave him a 30 second tutorial, and I adjusted his stance, he was able to mag dump quite easily.

Problems with the slidefire/bump fire system are usually rooted in operator error, not system error.

Maybe if more people had bump fire/slidefire stocks, people might start becoming attenuated to the sound of full auto. That's why I'm a fan of the slidefire/bump fire system. It is F/A for the masses, and once people get a taste, they may want the real thing. If that happens, we might have a chance at repealing the Hughes amendment.

The ammo cost? No comment. Lol.
Old March 22, 2015, 10:33 PM   #10
Lurch37

Mine has worked with no problems. I think it took about 1 or 2 mags to figure out how to stand and how to properly hold the rifle but after that, mag dumps were the norm. The smile on my face and those of my kids or anyone else that shot it were/are priceless.

The rifle that we use it most on is a Colt AR-15 in 9mm. While it's fun to shoot in 5.56, it's much easier for my kids and say first timers to handle in 9mm. It is also cheaper shooting 9mm than 5.56 ammo. The rifle runs flawlessly as does the slide-fire system. A vertical forearm grip of some sort helps with the need to "push" forward while shooting.
Old March 22, 2015, 10:38 PM   #11
skizzums

here is the "budget" line I was talking about. I can't say first-hand if it's as good or better than the original, but sure is cheaper
http://www.tacticalambush.com/AR-15-...TEM_p_308.html

has any "state" or "city" successfully banned these items?
Old March 30, 2015, 03:35 AM   #12
siloshooter

good news ..!

found a used s/f stock , 90-95% condition with the origanal box, instructions and the add on butt pad for $110 shipped to me . it is the upgraded stock which s/f web site sells for $199 .
it should arrive in 2-3 days

it seemed like a deal i didnt want to pass up ...
Old March 30, 2015, 06:27 AM   #13
Mobuck

I heard one in use at the home of a "gun guy" neighbor a couple of miles to the south of my place a while back. Signature sound=2-3 single semi-auto shots followed by a full auto(ish) mag dump. Sounded like the user was having a little trouble getting the right action working but when he did, it was good to the end.
Old April 2, 2015, 11:17 PM   #14
chris in va

I saw another at the range last weekend, had a chat with the guy.

He installed it on an expensive AR with a 4# trigger and also on a budget version with stiffer trigger. He said it works better with the latter as it is less sensitive to how the trigger has to be held, and "takes practice" using the lighter trigger.