The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 16, 1999, 07:43 AM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The next day after the wedding I took my 2 newest .45s out to do some serious shooting.
The Kimber worked great. The Springfield - Even Better! With the full 5 inch barrel - the sight radious is long and easy to aim with those easy to pick up sights... I was making fast hits... This is a gun for IDPA. This gun is an awesome shooter. Happy Bear here!
The Kimber favored lighter, faster loads. The shorter tube needs faster loads I guess. I found that the Hydra-shok Personal Defense loads worked great. 165 grains... cycled good, shot good...

The Springfield handled everything just fine and was not finiky - kinda like Rosie O at an All you can eat joint... It just swallowed EVERYTHING and kept going with accurate point of aim hits.

I got good leather for the shorter gun... but the Full Sized Government - I just cant find anything good for it. In Utah - it seems to be Uncle Mikes or Nothing.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old November 18, 1999, 09:13 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sounds like a great day at the range.

But, "The next day after the wedding..."! Whose wedding?

Old November 19, 1999, 03:30 AM   #3
Long Path

Art, you missed his Bad Day at the Range grumbling-- you know-- the Wedding With All The Free Good Food. That wedding!
Old November 19, 1999, 04:19 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Yes - it was my sisters wedding. Or more accurately, my Sister-In-Law... who I love dearly. My blood Sister - well she aint even family anymore. She makes Rosie look like a conservative.

Regarding this Kimber... I have found a couple things I am not happy with. Th3e Kimber functions well - but it isnt hitting Point of Aim, or grouping as well as the Springfield compact that my wife has. The Springfield cost a couple hundred less too.
I may "trade down" and put the difference into some extra ammo.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old November 19, 1999, 05:19 AM   #5
Hal

Kimbers and women.
If you get a good one, you have a great one!
Applies to both of mine.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.
http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/can.html