The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 20, 2010, 08:51 PM   #1
unusualname

Pocket Navy 1862 conversion to .32 caliber

Hi all,

I have a BP .44 replica revolver and shoot it both cap & ball and with .45LC conversion. I recently got a new unfired Gen 2 Colt Pocket Navy 1962 - beautiful gun :-). And then I started thinking if in theory it could be converted to .38 cartridge. I looked thru the Net and it appears that no such conversions are available - likely due to that such conversion would leave the cylinder walls too thin to be safe. So now I am thinking if again in theory, it could be converted to .32 by using a conversion cylinder for Colt 1849 pocket. Apparently Pocket Navy shares the cylinder and frame with the 1849 - is it? And then re-lining the barrel for the .32 bullet.

Does anyone have any opinions on that? Or is it a complete nonsence :-)

Thanks!
Old August 20, 2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

If you want a .32 conversion, buying a conversion cylinder for a '49 pocket model would be the logical - and least expensive - way to go about it. Going through the gyrations to convert a '62 Pocket Navy into a .32 Cartridge gun would not be worth the time and expense IMNSHO.

P.S. It's a shame no one makes a .38S&W conversion for the '62; but then, it would require a sleeved barrel to work also.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 21, 2010, 09:52 AM   #3
unusualname

Thanks for the reply Fingers!

Yes, I was wondering regarding the 1849 pocket model cylinder - they do say it's the same frame & cylinder as the 1862, but would it be close to a drop-in fit, or would there be major timing and other issues to sort out...