The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 30, 2007, 12:00 AM   #1
Remmy

Cheapest place to get a nylon sling / how'd you make yours?

Looking to do some things to a rifle on the cheap...any ideas on best ways to make your own or where to buy a very cheap one would be great.
Ive already got the sling studs and swivels in place just need the nylon sling. I dont know if ACE has nylon strands 1" wide that they'll let you cut to length but im thinking if they do and i can find a couple of the doohickeys that go on the sling im good to go. Anyone do this, and what are the doohickeys real names?

This is all im after, just even cheaper if i can...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/44159-10974-1153.html
Old March 30, 2007, 12:26 AM   #2
AZGunLover

Cheaper Than $7.79??? You'll spend that in time and gas driving around trying to find "doohickeys" even if you know where to get them. Just order it off the internet and cut your losses.
Old March 30, 2007, 09:12 AM   #3
candr44

A fabric store like Joannes should have what you are looking for. Although, I don't think you will get the strap and hardware for any cheaper than buying a sling. You could also tie a piece of rope to it for a sling it you want really cheap.
Old March 30, 2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Trip20

Read this thread on how to build a sling. Ace carries the parts you'll need. I made one for cheap about a month ago. I didn't have to pay shipping, and it was more fun/educational to do it myself.
Old March 30, 2007, 03:05 PM   #5
liliysdad

strapworks.com

I have not bought a sling in about two years. I bought 50ft of 1", and 50ft of 1.25", and enough tri-glides to last forever. My average sling costs about 2-3 bucks.
Old April 4, 2007, 11:55 AM   #6
RockyMtnTactical

Before I started my own sling company, I had tried to create my own DIY slings, and they just didn't work, the material was lousy, I didn't have the time to develop a good design (just to produce one sling), and I didn't have all the proper tools (like an industrial sewing machine).

I sell affordable slings on my website. You get tested, high quality materials, a new and innovative design, versatility, a lifetime warranty, and something to show for the money spent on the sling (should you ever decide you didn't want it, you could sell it for "something").

Starting out at $24.99 shipped, I think that's pretty hard to beat.

https://www.rockymountaintactical.net/

YMMV.
Old April 4, 2007, 06:13 PM   #7
liliysdad

I think I have about 3 bucks per sling in mine, and they work fine.

If you want to pimp your wares, do it in the for-sale forums, not the discussion forums. No offense.
Old April 4, 2007, 07:39 PM   #8
psdan000

go to your local wally world and pick one up for about 6 bucks
Old April 4, 2007, 08:25 PM   #9
RockyMtnTactical

Quote:
I think I have about 3 bucks per sling in mine, and they work fine.

If you want to pimp your wares, do it in the for-sale forums, not the discussion forums. No offense.
It wouldn't matter if I sold it or not, I can still make a helpful comment on it. And that's all I did.

If someone asked about holsters, cases, or any other gear (I know about) I'd likely link them to some place as well.

I particpate in this forum mostly as a member who is just like the rest of you above all else. I shoot all types of guns, I hunt, I train, I plink, and I collect firearms.

The vast majority of my replies to posts have nothing to do with my business. I guess my point is, this is just my honest reply to his question. He can take it for what it's worth, just like every other reply on the thread.

Just because I sell it doesn't mean my reply isn't potentially helpful.
Old April 7, 2007, 07:14 PM   #10
PawDog

Academy Sports has good nylon slings for around $5.00.....
Old April 8, 2007, 12:07 AM   #11
SWModel19

I'd have to agree on the www.strapworks.com suggestion. They have just about everything in raw form and a lot of things in finished form to just about anything you want to do with nylon strap.