The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 1999, 02:03 PM   #1
Bob Thompson

I have been reloading for many years now and am still lacking in knowledge and uses for gas checks. I am now loading for .45-70 mostly in Pyrodex with 405 g. coated hardcast in front of a disc patch and a compressed load for my Sharps. Would this be a case where gas checks would be used? Accuracy is outstanding with this combination but would gas checks have any benefit. Also what would be the circumstances where one would use them and how are they affixed. Any info would be really appreciated. Thanks much, Bob
Old October 23, 1999, 12:29 PM   #2
karlfitt

Bob,
While I can't answer most of your questions I do know how gas checks are applied to a bullet.
When you size you lead bullet, on a bullet designed to accept a gas check, you place the gas check on the base of the bullet and run it through the sizing die. Of course you also apply the lube here too.

Karl
Old October 24, 1999, 06:45 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The purpose of gas checks is to allow a bit higher velocities than you would want without one--to avoid leading the barrel.

For instance, in a .30-'06, some 20 grains of 2400 behind the 169-grain lead gas-check bullet gives around 1,750 ft/sec. Negligible leading...Sharpe's book lists loads to 2,400.

I'd guess that unless the bullets you use are a very hard alloy, anything over some 1,400 to 1,500 ft/sec (?) would cause leading...

FWIW, Art