The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 29, 2001, 04:22 PM   #1
Correia

Saturday morning about twenty shooters gathered in the foothills west of Utah lake and expended massive quantites of ammunition. Weather was good except for the occasional giant killer death tornado, but as Utahns we are used to that.

It was a really fun shoot. Special thanks to PvtPyle for doing most of the work. He managed to get together some really great shade tents, and a whole bunch of styrafoam maniquin heads to use as targets.

We had ranges varying from point blank to a really popular jeep size rock at 600 yards to a giant rock at 800+. It was really interesting to shoot and AK74 at the 800 yard rock in high wind and watch the dust kick up from a bullet strike about sixty feet off to the side because the wind was so strong.

The selection of hardware was impressive, we had 2 picnic tables filled with various rifles. AK47s, AK74s, FAL, CETME, Dragunovs, AR15s, M1a, M96, SKS, Garands, a whole slew of bolt guns, lever action cowboy guns, you name it, somebody was shooting one. The tables looked like pictures out of Soldier of Fortune. And there were even a few belt fed Browning 1919s. It was rather impressive to watch the 1919 get dialed in and then chew the 600 yard rock up with round after round.

We had a good Balloon racing compitition again. (Kind of psuedo fast draw, anti balloon exercise, very cool). Ok, I can brag for a second. I was on one yesterday, I couldn't miss at first, I was a balloon terminator! But of course that was a fluke, because I'm really not that good of a shot, but everybody can have a good day once in a while. And I'm sure that next time around there are several TFLers itching to make me look like a sucker. Special honorable mention goes to PvtPyle who beat me once using a 1911 with no front sight! And another "Bob Munden shot of the week" came from Porter Glockwell who smoked a baloon about .000015 nano seconds after it went flying. Ok I exagerate, but it was a quick shot.

This was a total fluke, but I shot a maniquin head at 200 yards with my 1911. Of course I couldn't do it again if my life depended on it, but luckily I have a few witnesses that I'm not making that up. I should have just quit and went home then, so people would be under the impression that I could actually shoot or something, as opposed to just being REALLY lucky.

We ended the day on a high note when Jay did his Gallehger impression and blasted a 22 lbs. watermelon with his 12 gauge at close range.

It was a wonderful spot for shooting, but it may have been a bit too good. Because throughout the day various morons would decide that they wanted to drive through our camp, see the piles of weapons and people shooting (obviously) in a certain direction, and then proceed to drive in that direction (usually very slowly). And my personal favorite, the guys that drove in that direction, and then stopped ON our backstop, got out and started wandering around with metal detectors. What the hell were they looking for? Lead?

All in all it was a great shoot, except for one problem that a member had. And I'm hoping that we hear from him soon that everything worked out for the best.

The BBq on Friday was really good also, thanks once again to PvtPyle's efforts. Our wives bonded, got together and started talking about our strange gun habits (Mrs. Correia: "Does your husband stand in front of the mirror with a gun to see how it looks on him." All other wives nod in assent). They have apparently formed an organization known as the Utah Range Widows Association.

It was a real pleasure to meet all of you good people, and see again some familiar faces. I really look forward to doing this again.

-Larry Correia
Old April 30, 2001, 10:12 AM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

200 yard headshot with a Springfield 1911A1 Loaded .45 Government Model.
Had I not seen it, I wouldn't believe it.
Old April 30, 2001, 11:05 AM   #3
PvtPyle

long hand gun shots.....

You should have seen us going after the big rock at 600 with our handguns. You can almost fire the round, grab a chair and have a coke before it hits. We were getting pretty close but the wind was so bad at the end of the day that I dont think either of us got a hit. I couldn't see the impact from my Makarov but the .45 was making big poof's.

I want to thank everyone for all of their help in the BBQ and the setup/teardown of the campsight. I couldn't have done it without you guys and I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. For those of you who didn't make it, boy you missed out on a great time! We should try to do it again in July when it is really hot. Different 1 and his wife will just tell us how it is getting to be shorts weather, but we all saw how hardcore they are! I am really glad you guys could make it up for the event and would love to have you back anytime.

If we use that sight again I have a few ideas for new signs and proper placement to help keep down the flow of idiot traffic. All the wway around it was a good weekend and I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Now I have to go clean all those guns!
Old April 30, 2001, 01:59 PM   #4
WVC

Utah TFL shoot was a blast!

I have to say this was one of the best times I've had in a long time! Can't wait until the next one.

PvtPyle, Can you post some of the pictures? I would sure like to see them.
Old April 30, 2001, 06:45 PM   #5
Correia

WVC, not to sound dumb, but I got the real names off of everybody that I hadn't met. Which one were you?

And I just have to add to what PvtPyle said, shooting pistols at the 600 yard rock was a blast. Boom. one, two, three, four... puff of dust. I did see one dust puff a little bit above the rock from my Makarov, but I was aiming at a tree way the heck above it on the hill side. Kind of morter like.
Old April 30, 2001, 07:10 PM   #6
MiniZ

Fabulous time!!!! Special kudos to Pvt Pyle for organizing and set up, and to all that helped pull it together. I apologize to all that had to tear down the campsight. Normally I will stick around to help out, but when your ride needs to leave.... That 200 yd shot by Larry was insane. I was having a bad shooting day, and probably couldn't have hit a 10'x10'plate at 200 yards with my M1A..Meanwhile Larry is smoking manaquins at 200 with the 1911.

Thanks to all that gave my novice shooter advice(Larry). He was doing some "no no's" that I didn't catch. Larry very patiently and calmly set the boy straight. It is that kind of patience that helps keep new guys in our sport.

Now after seeing some of the hardware up close and personal, I need to figure out how to buy more......

Zane
Old April 30, 2001, 07:11 PM   #7
Porter-Glockwell

Yeah, if we could shoot like that all the time we could be on American Shooter! "Coming up next, Larry Correia's extreme range combat handgun, followed by Porter Glockwell's reflexive voodoo speed shooting. And next time, learn improvised parts failure point shooting from PVT PYLE." I must admit, that I NEVER shoot that fast. I hope this is a trend and not a fluke. Forget Gunsite and Thunder Ranch, come to a Utah TFL gathering and automatically shoot like a pro. then you can rightfully say, "I meant to do that."
Old April 30, 2001, 08:09 PM   #8
MiniZ

I think I need to quit embarassing myself by going to TFL shoots. When I go out with my non-TFL buddies, I am the one doing all the cool shots. Now, I go out with TFL and Correia is making 200 yard "head shots" with a 1911 and Porter-Glockwell is busting baloons faster than the human brain can comprehend. I think the dog(name long forgotten) even did some cowboy exhibition shots that would blow your mind. LOL And to Private Pyle's point, Different 1 and his wife are HARDCORE!! We are all sweating and moaning about how hot it is, AND THEY HAVE THEIR COATS ON!!!!!!
Zane
Old May 1, 2001, 08:34 AM   #9
Correia

So when should we have the next one? June? July?

(Need plenty of warning, I'm going to have to do some serious practicing )
Old May 1, 2001, 11:51 AM   #10
WVC

Correia, I think we should have it in July.

My wife said she wanted us to host the pre-shoot BBQ.

BTW, In answer to your earlier question. I was the one that shot your Enfield .308.

Old May 2, 2001, 08:54 AM   #11
Goet

planning on going there this weekend

Do you really need 4x4 to get out there, or can my Sentra handle it?
Old May 2, 2001, 09:56 AM   #12
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

To a point - then you will have to hike up.
Old May 2, 2001, 01:46 PM   #13
PvtPyle

Monday cleaning session.

I have not had a chance yet to tell you guys about what happened Monday without the boss looking over my shoulder at home. She would be none to thrilled. Monday while cleaning my guns I got a visit from SL Counties finest. They got a call about a man with a gun. Now I set up a table in the front of my garage and the Blazer was behind me so I am very curious how they saw me. You guys have seen the garage, I was up front next to the fridge. Anyway I get **** scared when he pulls up, the last one came to tell me about my first wife. So he starts with the questions and I interupted him and ask if Meagen was ok. He looks at me like I'm speaking greek and says he has no idea, thats not why he's here. I relax and so does he, but now 2 more pull up. Anyway he asks about premits for them and what not and I had to explain the law to him. He had to know there would be guns on the premisis, my CCW would have come up on the computer right? I explained to him that as an FFL I could have 100 of these guns here without notifing anyone or any special permits, I would need special paperwork if they were machine guns which these weren't. Cop2 asks about the class III paperwork so I tell him (can I say I am suprised at this point. Either they are dumber than rocks or are feeling me out for my familiararity with the law). He finds it amusing and says that kind of process should keep civilians from bothering with the paperwork. I happily told him that there were more than 20,000 NFA pieces (yep, had to explain that too) in Utah, which was more than the police had. That set real well but at this point I'm just being a very polite dick. At this point cop3, the oldest asks if I sell to LEO's and I said sure at cost plus 10%. Now I'm their best friend. We shot the **** for a while and exchanged cards and I told them they were welcome to come to the next shoot as long as they brought some cool toys. Everyone left happy and calm, but now I am wondering who saw me and how. I am more worried about a break in but all I keep at the house is a shotgun and my daily carries. Of course joe busybody doesn't know that. Any suggestions?
Old May 2, 2001, 07:02 PM   #14
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I've had that kinda visit myself on a couple occations... Once in Salt Lake taking my AR-15 from my trunk into the house... and another one taking my FAL from my trunk into the house.

Both times it was like "Sir, we have a report of a man with a gun."
"Your looking at him."
"Wha..."
"I took my semi auto rifle from my trunk and locked it back up in my house because I have been shooting at the PMAA Range all day. In a few minutes I will be cleaning them... and in the morning I am going to be doing the same thing all over again so you can tell Mrs Rose across the fence to either get used to it or to move away."
"You dont have to get hostile, Sir."
"Cur, I think I have every right to get pissed when some old bitty gets nervous and calls out the posse on me for minding my own business."
"Well..."
"You've already checked me out before you even arrived here so you can either come in and help me clean my guns, arrest me for something stupid, or you can go and tuck Mrs Rose in for the night."

I forgot what else was said - but it didn't go much longer than that.
Old May 3, 2001, 12:49 AM   #15
Doug444

George - you're my hero! I'm very disappointed that I did not make the shoot. I had to help deliver 200+ trees Sat. am for Scouts/Arbor Day, then spent the afternoon with some great young (and some old) people at the State YHEC meet at the Lee Kay Center. (I'm also a Hunter Ed. instructor). I've just GOT to get with some of you folks for a shoot some time. I doubt I'll be able to shoot as well as many of you, but it sure sounds like a good time.

By the way, the next time I'll be out shooting will be the weekend of May 18-20. I'll be out with my Scout troop on Stansbury Island, SE corner. We'll be the ones shooting shotguns, .22's and muzzleloaders (and probably air-rifles, too). I should have about 30 boys and 15 adults or so, so it will be very safe. Just wanted to give you a heads up about avoiding us if you shoot out there.

Be safe.

Doug444
Old May 3, 2001, 10:48 PM   #16
Different

Thanks to skyder who extended a warm invitation to attend. Everyone was gracious to us both. It was quite a collection of firepower displayed at the site. We enjoyed the camaraderie and the shooting. We were impressed with the professionalism displayed by all.

Thanks to skyder and the friend of PvtPyle who suggested a camp site for the night. After the shoot, we drove down the road a couple miles, pitched the tent and had turkey and rice cooked over a butane stove before retiring for the night. We laid a couple poncho liners down inside the tent, used our jackets for pillows and threw a blanket over the top of us. The wind came and went three times during the night and it got a little cold but the tent stood strong and we hugged tightly through it all. LOL

Thanks again for allowing us to participate.

Different and Mrs. Different

Old May 3, 2001, 11:39 PM   #17
PvtPyle

Different

I'm glad you guys could make it. Any time you get up here come see us.
Old May 7, 2001, 03:29 PM   #18
Goet

anyone get any pics?
Old May 7, 2001, 05:55 PM   #19
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

PvtPyle had the Digicam there...
Pyle?
Old May 7, 2001, 09:55 PM   #20
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Pyle?
Old May 8, 2001, 04:37 PM   #21
Goet

Pyle!!!

Front and center!
Old May 10, 2001, 01:41 PM   #22
WVC

PYLE???

Im going over to his house tonight...I'll see whats up with the pics.