The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2012, 04:09 PM   #1
max it

5.0 grains of N320 in my 9mm, yikes!

Hi Ya, My Lee scale pooped out on me; the plastic thingie was loose enough that it moved to 5.0 gn when I expected 4.2gn of N320 powder. It's my new load on the 147gn 9mm bullets I am loading. Now what to do with 50 rounds?
Will it blow up my barrel? I have a Ruger New Blackhawk I can run them thru, is that safer (more metal)?

Much obliged,

Max
Old October 22, 2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

Looks like it is time to pull 50 bullets and load the proper amount of powder in them. 9 mm is a high pressure load to start with. If you know the amount of powder exceedes the max amount for the bullet you are loading there is only one thing to do. Pull the bullets and load them with the proper amount. At least all the primers won't have to come out and the bullets can be still used when you get the right amount of powder in the case. It is a pain to have to do this but it is much better than blowing up your pistol or worse.

I don't know just which bullet you are using. 320 is a fast burning powder. I would prefer a slower burning powder for a heavy bullet. You are already at max or above for that load. Going beyond is just not good.

Last edited by Misssissippi Dave; October 22, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:32 PM   #3
max it

too much N320, yikes

Dave, I am using a moly coated 147grain lead bullet.
You are a drink of cold water; wakes me up.
I put the box of 50 in my 'pull apart' bin.
I am already a bit over max with 4.2grain
I will carefully try them out, it was recommended by two good ol reloaders familiar with both my xd9 tactical gun and the bullet. Mostly because I was getting keyholes with 3.7gn. VhitaV's book goes to 3.9gn. Maybe next time I will try N330.
Much obliged,

Max
Old October 23, 2012, 06:45 AM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

Have you slugged the barrel to find out what it measures? It's possible you just need to go with an additional one thousands of an inch larger diameter bullet to stop the keyholing. It is kind of hard to tell without a good measurement being made. I don't like having to pull bullets. I also have a box set aside just for those that need to be pulled too.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:24 AM   #5
max it

HI Ya Dave,
the barrel is .3545 and the bullets are .356, i think that is good dont you?
the keyholing was at 3.5 and 3.7 grains. today i will try 4.2 which is a bit over the book. as i said i will run a couple thru my Blackhawk first and see if the primer looks good.
wish me luck!

much obliged,

max
Old October 23, 2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Xfire68

Maxit, maxed out loads don't always equal better loads. More powder then recommended can cause gun damage, ware and poor accuracy.

Always start on the low end and work your way up testing accuracy and look for over pressure signs. You should never start with max loads or over charged loads and then test to see if they are safe.

Your most accurate load might be on the low end of powder charges but, many never seem to find this out because they think and feel more is always better.

If this is the first batch of ammo with this gun and with these bullets I would scrap them all and start over working up the load as apposed to jumping right to a max or over max load.

Your powder choice for that bullet weight is not optimum. N320 is better suited for lighter bullets. 90g-115g in 9mm.

Last edited by Xfire68; October 23, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old October 23, 2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

The bullets should work in your barrel without leading. My best loads have normally come in under max. Generally around mid range to uppper mid range. I haven't tried any moly coated bullets. They might work a little better closer to the upper range with a faster powder since they should less resistance in the barrel. I'm only guessing here.

3N37 probably would be a better match for 147 grain bullets of any type. I use a lot of AA powders and AA7 is good for 147 bullets. AA5 works well for jacketed 124 grain bullets.
Old October 23, 2012, 07:54 PM   #8
max it

147gn load

Guys, I started out with 3.2gn of N320 which is the low end; lots of keyholing at 23 yds. So I progressed to 3.7gn. still the same. When suggested I try 4.2 i accidently pushed the phonelic slide on my Lee Safety Scale (not my choice of a name ) which gave me the 5.0 reading. I got out my RCBS 10-10 scale and realized that. So now those bullets sit in my take apart bin. And today I got to try out 4.2gn of N320 which work fine on steel silouettes at the outdoor range. I really still dont know what paper will look like at 23 yds. tomorrow I will try that.
Much obliged,

Max
p.s. I sent the beam to Lee today too.
m.i.