The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 5, 2009, 08:23 AM   #1
armike

rem 700 in 5.7x28

i know i've talked about building a rifle in 5.7x28 before but i noticed in a midway catalogue that they sell a barrel for it to fit a rem 700. it would need finish chambered and a bolt face or head, whatever it's called. i live in florida and i would like some suggestions on who could modify it for me. i guess a short action would be the best but are there any differences between them? thanks, mike.
Old August 5, 2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Scorch

If you start out with a short action in 222, 223, or 222 Mag, it should be a fairly straightforward rebarreling project. I'm not sure if you will have to put in a magazine block due to the short cartridge length, but it should be pretty easy form start to finish.
Old August 5, 2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I am not a gunsmith, but from what I have read, the big part of the job would be bushing the recessed Remington bolt face to center up, extract, and eject the little 5.7.

Magazine? A tough job, too.
Old August 5, 2009, 02:56 PM   #4
armike

i figured the bolt face and ejector would be the toughest aspects to. i know i could shoot reduced .223 loads but the 5.7 would be very economical to load for since i already have brass and bullets.
Old August 5, 2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Scorch

You can buy a Rem 700 bolt for the 5.7X28 from PTG, it's an easy fix. The magazine is still what would concern me. But be aware that if you are looking for an "economic" alternative, this is not it. The bolt alone will set you back about $400, plus fitting and bolt handle. You would be better off just shooting reduced 223 loads if you are trying to save money.
Old September 7, 2009, 07:30 PM   #6
oregon-john

I was thinking that a person might be able to get a Ruger 77/22 Hornet and get it to work with the rotary mag. I have not looked into this much, but if you could get it to work, would be a great gun. John