The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 14, 2007, 07:51 AM   #1
roy reali

Streak Shooters?

No, this thread has nothing to do with shooting while naked.

I am refering to shotgunning success. It seems like I am a streaky shooter. There are days in the field where I can't seem to miss. I'll make even the most difficult shots. I actually amaze and surprise myself. Even my dog high-fives me.

On other days I can't hit squat. I would probably miss a dove sitting on a wire ten yards away with a unchoked 10 gauge. My dog actually seeks out other hunters to join.

Is there anyone here like this? You have good days and bad days with your shotgun.
Old October 14, 2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Hallucinator

I know what you mean. Pistol shooting is very much informed by mood. It's the old Zen thing of having an empty mind so that you don't get in your own way. Each shot is the first shot, etc.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.
Old October 14, 2007, 09:07 AM   #3
JWT

It's all concentration. I tend to be a streak shooter at trap. I'll shoot a 25 and follow it up with an 18 or 19. Reason? - because I lose concentration and don't keep focused on breaking the target.
Old October 15, 2007, 06:58 PM   #4
BigJimP

Its really difficult to diagnose unless we see you shoot - it may be any number of issues ( focus, gun fit, bad mount, poor follow thru, etc ). Just a tip though - remember pulling the trigger is the "middle of the shot" not the end of the shot. Following thru on the shot - smoothly - is the end of the shot.

Consistency comes from practice - mount, follow thru, etc - spend some time at the trap and skeet range - and work on your confidece and fundamentals - it'll pay off.
Old October 15, 2007, 11:43 PM   #5
Slopemeno

Streaky means lack of real preparation. Go back and work on fundamentals.