The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 8, 2012, 08:10 PM   #1
chaz12

Finally getting a percussion revolver

Well, I have been threatening to buy a Colt reproduction percussion revolver for probably two years. I finally went ahead and ordered one from Cabelas today.

I wanted an army model because I wanted the slightly longer grip. I saw that Cabelas was out of the 1860 army, but they did have the army 'civilian' model still in stock for 10 more dollars, so that's what I ordered. As near as I can tell, it's the same pistol, minus the extra screw on the frame where a shoulder stock could attach.

I already have more guns than I can really shoot, but there is just something about the colt percussion models that I really like. I also really liked the looks of the Spiller and Burr, but I don't care for the brass frame, and the grip looks kind of small. I will shoot the 1860 sooner or later, but I just like the idea of having it, even if I don't shoot it much. It reminds me of the Clint Eastwood movies.

Chaz
Old March 8, 2012, 08:40 PM   #2
rtpzwms

Cool, you'll post pics when it comes home right?
Old March 8, 2012, 11:41 PM   #3
deerslayer303

Congrats on your purchase, and yep when you finally DO decide to crack her off, it will be VERY rare if you are not addicted like the rest of us. I still buy and look at cartridge pistols and rifles, but they often get left at home and my black powder toys go instead. MMMMM I LOVE THE SMELL OF SULPHUR IN THE AFTERNOON!!!! And its just something cool about the smoke lingering in the pines
Old March 9, 2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Newton24b

well all i can say is youll be happy. two handed hold is a wonderful thing to use.

and liquid wrench penetrating oil in the little plastic squeeze bottle. thats going to be your best friend when you get the gun. soak the cylinder by placeing it nipples down in a little glass bowl and fill the chambers with it. this stuff loosens the packing grease on the nipples. and well itself cleans up fast due to it being mainly a modified soybean oil.

they do have a beautiful heft to them.
Old March 9, 2012, 12:12 AM   #5
Beagle333

I firmly believe you'll love the 1860. I think the sleek lines, the longer grip and better balance give it an edge over the others. But, this you will discover for yourself, as you are destined to own several of each, for certain.
We await pictures!!!!!
Old March 9, 2012, 02:18 AM   #6
dlbarr

Absolutely!! You are going to find out that the rest of your arsenal will take a back seat to your new acquisition(s). Yes, that's right - you have NOT bought your last C&B revolver. I been shootin' BP MLs for 35 years but just bought my first C&Bs about 4 months ago. I hardly pick up anything else out of my gun closet and haven't SHOT anything else besides these cool revolvers since then.

You are destined to have a collection.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:24 AM   #7
twobit

Welcome to the dark side (black powder).
Old March 9, 2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Noz

Then you look around and you have seven just alike with 2 parts guns.

My only deviation from the norm is I discovered the 5.5" barrels. That's what my match guns wear now.
Old March 9, 2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Hardcase

Welcome aboard! You're gonna have so much fun!
Old March 9, 2012, 05:45 PM   #10
mikewilliams68

Cap and Ball revolvers (New Member)

I own 2 cap and ball revolvers , an 1851 Confederate Navy .36 cal Colt reproduction by Pietta just like what Wild Bill carried. Also an 1862 Pietta Army Police revolver. I am applying for a concealed carry permit to carry the Police revolver in a shoulder rig.
I also own a TC Hawken .50 cal rifle, Pedersoli 12 gauge double barrel Coach shotgun,and a Traditions, Trapper model .50 cal single shot pistol.

The Black powder guns are all very acurate and I shoot rifle and shotgun competition shooting through the summer.
Old March 9, 2012, 06:44 PM   #11
Doc Hoy

Mike,

Welcome to the crew.

You are off to a great start.
Old March 9, 2012, 07:15 PM   #12
OEF-Vet

Awesome!
My next purchase will be the Traditions 1858 Remington New Army Revolver.

I am putting together a Traditions Frontier Rifle 50 cal flintlock kit now. That's my first black powder gun and I'm excited.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr

Last edited by OEF-Vet; March 9, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Hellgate

The 1860 Army is probably the most elegant revolver ever designed. You'll enjoy it.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 9, 2012, 11:54 PM   #14
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate
The 1860 Army is probably the most elegant revolver ever designed. You'll enjoy it.
Second only to the 1861 Navy

Chaz, welcome to the darkside my apprentice
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 10, 2012, 12:26 AM   #15
Ideal Tool

Hello, Chaz12. Your gonna have fun with that hog leg! I think you won't miss those stock attatchment screws either. I have a 1980's era Colt re-make of the 1860 army..and sometimes recoil will cause the left screwhead to hit my thumb.
Old March 11, 2012, 04:27 AM   #16
sandman_nv

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate
Second only to the 1861 Navy

Chaz, welcome to the darkside my apprentice
It was your...Destiny!