The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 10, 2005, 09:23 PM   #1
tango3065

slugs and chokes

My current 870 has a 21" barrel that takes rem chokes, can I safely shoot rifled (foster) slugs thru it with a modified choke, or will I need to get a IC choke?

Also I have heard that any gun with removeable chokes will at some point send the choke down range with shooting slugs and ruin the barrel. Is this something that is true?
Old October 11, 2005, 02:29 AM   #2
LiveWire

21" 870 here too.

I use an IC when shooting slugs, simply because that is what Remington recommends for the purpose.

As far as your other concern, it is hard to imagine a soft lead slug deforming a hard steel choke such that it blasts it clear out of a counter-threaded barrel. A slug moving through a highly constricted choke is more apt to cause a spike in pressure. This could cause the barrel to explode, injuring or killing the shooter and/or any bystanders unlucky enough to be in the vicinity.

Some shooters even use upper end MCs when shooting slugs, but they might as well just crimp the muzzle shut.
Old October 11, 2005, 10:24 AM   #3
Bonstrosity

I have a friend who shoots rifled slugs through an old 870 that is a full choke. It hasn't exploded yet so who knows it might not be that big of a deal. I know I always make sure I have the widest open choke that I have in there to shoot it. I know a lot of old timers who used to do that too. Just shoot slugs through a full choke. It's a tough call if the new choke isn't very expensive go ahead and buy the more wide open on.
Old October 11, 2005, 11:49 AM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

Shooting conventional Foster type slugs through anything tighter than an IC choke is discouraged by most makers and not recommended by the ammo people.
The Brenneke slugs are capable of being safely fired through any choke, according to the company.
It's probably another one of those "But, honest- it always worked before!" situations.
There are a lot of things you can get away with for a while...
Denis
Old October 11, 2005, 11:54 AM   #5
Bobshouse

Bonstrosity said: I have a friend who shoots rifled slugs through an old 870 that is a full choke. It hasn't exploded yet so who knows it might not be that big of a deal. I know I always make sure I have the widest open choke that I have in there to shoot it. I know a lot of old timers who used to do that too. Just shoot slugs through a full choke. It's a tough call if the new choke isn't very expensive go ahead and buy the more wide open on.

Another perfect example of a 10 year old giving advice.

Mastinson, take out your owners manual and read it. If it doesnt refer to chokes and slugs, contact the manufacturer for input. Alot of people that post here do not know didly squat about anything and I'd hate to see someone cripple themselves or worse over some bad advice.
Old October 11, 2005, 12:14 PM   #6
Bonstrosity

I meant that the old timers shot slugs through a full choke. Don't start ripping on me for what i've seen people do. I certainly would never do that. And I aint a 10 year old.
Old October 11, 2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Bobshouse

Im not "ripping" on you, just your post. If you want to give advice, make sure it's clear and concise. Take a look at your post and tell me if it doesn't look like your saying what I highlighted. Wouldnt you hate to get on here and see a post further down the link saying "well I took your advice and my gun blew up and put the guy standing next to me in the hospital."

Sorry if I offended you or anyone else, but gun manufacturers put stuff like that in the owner's manual for a reason, and I dont believe in breaking any of the "rules" when it comes to firearms. Accidents are just that, unintended, unplanned and preventable. I personally would hate injuring someone or myself because I was to cheap to purchase an appropriate choke for 16 bucks.

Sorry If you took it as a flame, it was not intentionally directed towards you personally..