The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 5, 2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Gary Slider

SC/NM Reciprocity . . . Warning!! . . . Mississippi Open Carry. . . CO Election

South Carolina and New Mexico have signed a reciprocity agreement. SC requires signed agreements while NM has honored SC for some time now.
http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-c...ty-agreements/
http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

Again I need to post a warning. Nevada has dropped both Missouri and Rhode Island as states they honor. Pennsylvania has stopped honoring Idaho. Other RKBA’s groups out there are still reporting that NV honors MO and RI and that PA honors ID. Be careful!

The Mississippi Supreme Court has struck down the lower court order putting a hold on Open Carry in Mississippi. Everyone knew that was the only logical decision the court could make but everyone had to wait for the decision.

Handgunlaw.us has just completed checking all the links on all the state pages and major documents on the site. The updated files will be uploaded to the site late Friday or early Saturday. We try to check all the links every 6 months. (There are over 1000 links on all those documents.) The one thing that really frustrates me on any site I visit is clicking on a link and getting an error page or page not found. If you find a broken link on Handgunlaw.us I ask that you click on contact us at the bottom of the main page and let me know. I just need to know it no longer is working. I can take it from there. Thank you!

www.handgunlaw.us does not get political and just reports the laws. That doesn’t mean we don’t have strong beliefs about the RKBA’s! The Colorado recall election is extremely important as can be seen by the amount of money being poured in from outside sources on both sides of the issue. This is one we MUST WIN!!! This will send a message to all other politicians that they must respect our rights or pay a huge price! Help in any way you can as the outcome will affect us all!
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old September 5, 2013, 10:09 AM   #2
BarryLee

Gary,

I know it’s been said before, but I want to thank you for your hard work and the valuable resource that you provide.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 5, 2013, 10:03 PM   #3
KyJim

Yes, thanks for all the work. BTW, if you're not using an automatic link checker, you should. It won't tell you if the content has changed but will report broken links. There are a number of free ones available. Here's one -- http://wummel.github.io/linkchecker/.
Old September 5, 2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Gary Slider

KyJim, The problem is PDF files. I am looking at getting one to check word files and check them before I convert them. But thank you for the info.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old September 6, 2013, 04:27 PM   #5
orangello

Thanks for the informative forum on OC in MS.

I did have a question regarding encounters with LEO's when OCing. There was a thread on the OC forum with a link to a Clarion Ledger article on the topic, but it seemed to be on a fee basis now. Can you provide guidance for those OCing in MS on how to properly deal with LEO's stopping them to discuss their OCing, please? I am referring to "normal, non-youtube fame-seeking OC people". I do not wish to be a jerk to a LEO in such a situation, but what am I required by law to do as far as providing ID or answering questions?
Old September 7, 2013, 05:15 AM   #6
press1280

Just to clarify, open carry was legal before in MS but only with a permit, due to the fact the MS courts interpreted a holstered gun as concealed. This new law simply clarifies things.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
what am I required by law to do as far as providing ID or answering questions?
What you are required to do is, IF ASKED, identify yourself. You are NOT legally required to provide proof that you are who you say you are, unless the officer detains you and informs you that you are suspected of having committed a crime. You do not have to answer any questions other than providing your name.

That's the legal requirement. In the real world, many police officers would interpret your following the law and asking that your rights be recognized as "having an attitude."

Remember, your question was about open carry, which is legal without a permit (in MS). Since open carry is legal without a permit, an officer has no valid basis on which to ask to see your permit. He also has no valid basis on which to detain you for suspicion of committing a crime, unless there are other circumstances (such as maybe you match the description of the guy who stuck up a 7-11 three blocks away ten minutes ago).

Google "Terry stop" and "Terry frisk" for more background. But IMHO each incident has to be played by ear.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:37 PM   #8
hermannr

Orangello:

I have OC'd for 43 years. (OC in WA is legal without a permit) I have had Three conversations with LE. I have never been asked for my ID or my CPL.

First encounter consisted of 2 words...deputy "hunting?" me "yep". End of encounter.

Second encounter was with the CoP of the town nearest where we retired to: CoP: "when are you going to join our gun club?"

Third encounter, at a boat launch: Deputy: "What is it, looks nice". (CZ85 in a custom Alessi holster). Then we talked guns for the next 10 minutes.

Now, OC in MS may not be as common yet as it is here in WA, but it should be soon if people use this law as it was intended.

With any LE encounter that pertains only to your carry remember US Supreme Court decision in Delaware V Prouse.
Old September 11, 2013, 01:58 PM   #9
orangello

Thank you for the answers.

Quote:
(such as maybe you match the description of the guy who stuck up a 7-11 three blocks away ten minutes ago).
That actually did happen to me in 1992 in Hattiesburg, MS. The officers were very polite and professional and offered me a ride home after the clerk was unable to identify me. Was NOT funny.