The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 23, 2012, 03:22 PM   #1
GI Sandv

Another Mossberg 500 Thread?

I'm not trying to raise the 500 vs. 870 debate. I'm fairly well persuaded that the 500 will suit my needs at a lower price point, and with as much versatility, as the 870. That being said...

I'm looking for a do everything gun. This is the biggest reason I'm interested in the 500. Most/all of my shotgun use to this point in my life has been for pheasant in SD, with occasional duck or goose thrown in for good measure. I'm in an area where rifles aren't allowed for deer and I need a 12ga. for that purpose later this October. I have a Browning BPS Vector 26" right now. It doesn't have the versatility that either the 500 or 870 have. Rather than collecting shotguns, I'd prefer to get one gun and add barrels to the collection.

My purposes/uses: rifled barrel with the ability to mount a scope/red dot for deer; a longer smooth bore for bird, mostly upland game but occasionally waterfowl. (Perhaps turkey, though I don't know yet.) Home defense/SHTF and I'm heading out of town scenarios.

I know there are combo packages in the 500 that give you a smoothbore and rifled barrel for around $350. However, as I've seen them, they have the smaller magazine capacity (5 round?). I'm wondering what options people have seen or opted for themselves? Can you get one of the 500s (590s?) with a larger magazine and still put on the longer smoothbore and rifled barrels, or do those only fit on the standard hunting magazines? I've heard of, although I haven't look into, kits to expand magazine capacity. I guess I would like insight from people's experience trying to do similar things with their Mossbergs.

And, most of all, I'd like to trade my BPS and get the 500 for less than $100 cash extra, if possible.

Thanks.

Kahr PM9, Springfiled XD9, Browning BPS 12Ga., Browning SA-22.
Old September 23, 2012, 04:05 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

Barrels with lugs located for regular capacity magazines will not fit on a gun with a larger capacity magazine.

Quote:
And, most of all, I'd like to trade my BPS and get the 500 for less than $100 cash extra, if possible.
BigJim is going to be sick.
Old September 23, 2012, 05:36 PM   #3
BigJimP

Trade a Browning BPS for a Mossberg.....let me go lay down / I feel a severe headache coming along....
---------
But its your gun - you should do whatever you want ...
-----------------
But by the way ...what the heck is wrong with collecting shotguns...I only have 2 BPS models, about 4 Browning Citori Lightning models, a pair of Citori XT's, five Citori XS Skeet models, only one BT-100 and a pair of Benelli supersports...( must be forgetting something ) ...oh yeah, a Western Field bolt action 16ga....
Old September 23, 2012, 05:44 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Tra
Quote:
de a Browning BPS for a Mossberg.....let me go lay down / I feel a severe headache coming along....
It sounds like it may just be the change, BigJim.
Old September 23, 2012, 06:46 PM   #5
BigJimP

or maybe my shorts are too tight ...who knows....
Old September 23, 2012, 07:00 PM   #6
rugerfreak

There's no doubt the BPS is a quality gun BUT they are very heavy and extra barrels(when you can find them) cost as much as a whole brand new Mossberg.

Mossbergs are lighter--more affordable and more versitile---will get the job done just as well. They are also made in the USA--which counts for something in this economy.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:29 AM   #7
scottd913

IMO more than 5 rounds is crazy. if your hunting ( i don't hunt) you don't need more than 5 rounds and in Texas if you hunting fowl you cant have more than a 3 round capacity if my thinking is correct. as far as hd if you EVER get into a situation where you need more than 5 rounds...well my bandoleer holds 25 rounds, my pistol holds 16 and if I'm holding off a mob i guess i would have to grab my assault rifle; so again more than 5 rounds is crazy or maybe its just me?

some people who see my gun collection say, with all these guns what are you afraid of...i tell them ....nothing absolutely nothing!!
Old September 24, 2012, 02:10 AM   #8
TheKlawMan

Quote:
or maybe my shorts are too tight ...who knows....
Braggart
Old September 24, 2012, 08:03 AM   #9
big al hunter

The last deer i shot with a shotgun only needed 1 shot to surrender. But if the mag extension is for HD then that makes sense. Most mag extension kits thread onto the forend of the mag tube, replacing the cap/nut. That makes them work with any barrel that fits your gun in its factory configuration.......if you don't want to pay out extra $ go to the local trap range and find someone with a Mossberg. Offer a trade straight across. You might get some funny looks, but I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Both of you will be happy. (And bigjim will rest easy knowing that a new Browning lover is born)

Last edited by big al hunter; September 24, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:44 PM   #10
GI Sandv

I've been watching Hickok45's videos on the 590 and I'm almost persuaded to go that route. However, I suspect that you don't have the rifled or longer upland barrel options that you do with the standard 500.

The idea behind the increased capacity is HD/SHTF/Truck Gun. However, I can't afford multiple guns right now. (Read: my wife starts asking questions when there are multiple guns around, but not so much when there are long round metal barrels that she doesn't associate with guns.) So, I want to be able to swap out barrels.

However, I noticed on Hickock's video that he was shooting slugs from a standing position and hitting a sub-6 inch area consistently with slugs out of the 590. I believe it's a smooth bore. I know there are rifled slugs for smoothbores and non-rifled slugs for rifled barrels, correct? Does anyone have any idea how one works vs. the other?

In short, I guess I'm just looking for the most economical way to get a Mossberg 500 (or related model) to give me the option to shoot pheasant, deer, and bad guys, while retaining a high magazine capacity. Some ghost-rings would be nice as well. Suggestions?

P.S. The BPS is a nice gun. If I had the option to start collecting more of these toys, I would gladly keep it. But for now, I can't.

Kahr PM9, Springfiled XD9, Browning BPS 12Ga., Browning SA-22.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Pistolgripshotty

Mossberg...its low maintenance, simply built, and reliable. These are key to any shotgun. 870's are cool but the 500's are where its at!
Old September 24, 2012, 09:27 PM   #12
Chuckusaret

How many Mossberg 500's is the guy giving you for your Browning BPS? Two, maybe three. I don't know the age or condition of your gun but they sell (new) in this area in the $550 to $650 range, while the Mossberg 500 is about $265 to $300 NIB with two barrels.
Old September 24, 2012, 10:01 PM   #13
1goodi

Can you add a longer barrel to a 590 ?
Old September 25, 2012, 02:13 PM   #14
TheKlawMan

I am not sure, but think you can change barrels as long as it is designed for the same magazine capacity. Scroll down to the bottom. I would verify with Mossberg before buying. http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/barrels.htm

See model 90241
28" VENT RIB PORTED
ACCU-SET
BLUE (8-shot)
$133

Tags
mossberg 500 , mossberg 590