The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 7, 2014, 02:45 PM   #26
GodblessAmerica

I'm with highpower3006. Get a good side folder or fixed/adjustable stock to shoot and enjoy. When you can, get a really good underfolder as well. Yes, the ergonomics are terrible, the metal stock has NO cheekweld and will jar your teeth if you try to get one, but the coolness factor of the thing will make up for it. I have 4 AKs right now, 3 fixed or adjustable, 1 underfolder. All are great fun to own.
Old April 8, 2014, 02:16 PM   #27
Bart Noir

My hat's off to Darker Loaf. I mean, he was deer hunting with an AK.

What better way to show the anti-gunners that there is a "sporting" use for the AK?

And my Yugo underfolder was rock solid. After many years of use, it might be as loose as many other underfolders are reported to be. I'll not know as I no longer own it.

I got a fine cheek-weld on that underfolder and it didn't hurt my face. But I am conscious of the need to be pressing against the stock when it fires. I think there are those who are a bit sloppy in this area, and they pay the price when the gun (in general, not just talking about the AK) fires and jumps back against the face and shoulder.

But then I consider the shoulder bruise to be a sign of a great day at the range

Bart Noir
Old April 8, 2014, 10:35 PM   #28
Darker Loaf

I really like deer hunting with AR-15 and AK-47 type rifles. It's the most trigger time I can get on any centerfire rifle caliber (because of low cost), and it subverts what most people think of the guns.

I can safely say that I feel most comfortable with these platforms because of the low cost of ammunition. And, they certainly are lethal (though some say they are underpowered) with one shot if the shot is placed well.

My AR is about 1 MOA, and my AK is about 2 MOA so both are capable of decent enough accuracy for deer hunting. It's pretty funny to think about that though, I suppose, because I'm hunting with rifles that would certainly make the ban list, a side-folding AK no less.