The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 6, 2010, 07:52 PM   #1
shafter

.22lr for coyote?

What are your thoughts on using a 22lr for coyote? I'm planning on hunting them next week but I don't have good coyote gun. I was thinking of using my 30-30 but since I want to tan the hides it might be a bit much.
So, if I stick to close range shots with the Ruger 10/22 will I be okay?
Thanks
Old March 6, 2010, 07:57 PM   #2
hickstick_10

if there caught in a leghold trap or snare and you could get em right between the eyes every time then sure.

Of course if you have to pepper the poor yote with 3-5 shot to kill it your hide is as equally downgraded.

Invest in a few of these and save your bullets maybe? No bullet holes whatsoever, and if you set it right it kills em quick and humane.

I was in the same boat with beavers, a rancher had a hole mess of them along his creek and I figured some hides would be nice, my partner had a 22 browning and I had a little lever gun in 38 special with some cast bullets, loaded fairly mild.

He got himself a couple hides with a few to several 22 holes in them, while the 38 made ONE 3/8 of an inch hole and put em down quick and humanely, and the holes get sewn up anyways.
Old March 6, 2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Pahoo

A freind of mine likes to shoot them close, using his 1022. He claims it can be done but has to put more than one round into them and fast. That is why he uses his 1022. He also uses his tricked out AR and last month, he took 15 Yotes. Might add that he is a good shot and shoots competatively. I have shot them with my 1022 but have had to trail them and I don't think it's the best way to go.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 6, 2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Daryl

If you're planning to use it one way or the other, then you don't need to hear my advice. If that's the case, skip my post.

The .22 LR isn't enough to reliably kill coyotes that aren't held in a trap. Once again, if someone has to ask, then they don't have the experience to do it.

But you don't have to take my word for it. Go hunt 'em, and after you've shot a few, and seen the results, then you'll have your answer.

Good luck...seriously.

Daryl
Old March 6, 2010, 08:53 PM   #5
fastforty

I've shot at least a dozen with .22 (from inside my yard, less then 50 yd shots). They all ran away. Tracked one that I got a *good* heart/lung shot on broadside at 50 feet for a 1/4 mile. He was sitting down resting, but got up & went when I started getting close enough for another shot. Neighbor's coon hounds got him.
Old March 6, 2010, 10:49 PM   #6
spotter123654

what if u used aquila's 60 gr or cci's quik shok pre fragmented ammo would that help the chance's of a kill shot?
Old March 6, 2010, 11:13 PM   #7
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. I've shot a few Foxes with a .22 and if I had a choice between .22 and 30-30 it would be the 30-30 . Not that I wouldn't try with the .22, they just don't have the punch for a DRT.
A DRT with one 30 cal hole beats trying to track one with a couple of .22 holes.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:56 PM   #8
10-96

Quote:
what if u used aquila's 60 gr or cci's quik shok pre fragmented ammo would that help the chance's of a kill shot?
To me, a "kill shot" would involve getting a bullet into the vitals in order to disrupt all those vital functions (CNS, heartbeat, breathing). I have yet to run across a .22 rimfire of any sort that I would put that sort of trust into. If a bullet is pre-fragmented, then one must assume it would fragment well before getting to any of those afore mentioned vitals. Even varminting is hunting and you owe it to the critters and the sport itself to do everything within your power to ensure a quick kill. That's just the ehtical thing to do.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 7, 2010, 02:17 AM   #9
sourdough44

Good luck trying to get a coyote to stick his head in that conibear.

I'd use your 30-30 or a 12ga with some quality loads, Remington "HD" T shot comes to mind.
Old March 7, 2010, 09:06 AM   #10
stevelyn

If you are going to use a .22lr use the CCI Velocitors. They have a 40 HP (basically a Gold Dot) driven to 1435fps. You should be able to shoot right through a yote. Be aware though that they are going to run a bit before keeling over.

I whacked two bit bulls with them. A yote should be easy.

Quote:
Good luck trying to get a coyote to stick his head in that conibear.
I caught a nice cross-fox a few weeks ago that was dumb or desperate enough to stick his head inside a bucket cubby I had rigged with a 280 Conibear for wolverine, but generally speaking canines do not stick their heads in or through anything.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old March 7, 2010, 11:41 AM   #11
treg

30-30 w/ cast bullets or 12 gauge w/ #4 buck. Although the .22 can / will do it, it isn't very good for coyote calling. You'd have to get him really close. .22lr bullets are easily deflected by grass and twigs too.

My feeling is with all the effort and luck involved in coyote calling why waste a hard earned opportunity by using a .22lr? I'd take my chances on what the .30-30 with regular bullets would do to the hide before taking the chances of not getting a good shot or wounding one with a .22lr. YMMV
Old March 7, 2010, 12:44 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If it's just, "Aw, I'll go coyote hunting," I'd only figure on a .22 rimfire for up-close and personal head shots. Clean, ethical kill is the controlling factor.

That said, if I'm protecting chickens or livestock, I'll use whatever's available and take whatever hits I can get. Whole different deal, whole different attitude.
Old March 7, 2010, 12:50 PM   #13
James R. Burke

Just myself I would like something alittle bit bigger.
Old March 7, 2010, 01:31 PM   #14
shortwave

Although probably not the best round, I did shoot three last fall in the backyard, at night using a .22. Oddly enough a female and her halfgrown pup the first night. Another halfgrown pup second night. Downside was the adult female made it back to their den and I found her by her tail hanging out of den entrance. Pups DOA in yard. If I where going out to hunt yote`s think I would opt for something a bit heavier.
Old March 7, 2010, 02:34 PM   #15
waterfowler

It will be fine, just know your limits. I use a .17 hmr
Old March 7, 2010, 03:07 PM   #16
L_Killkenny

Short answer.....Not even close. An argument can be made for the .22mag (I did not say a "good" argument, .22M is lousy too) but not the .22LR. Use the .30-30. It won't do that much damage using big game loads and you'll actually be able to find em when you're done shooting.

In an experts hands it "may" work "some" of the time. If you have to ask you ain't an expert.

All that being said I tell folks to carry whatever they want until they start getting shots at coyotes. Coyotes ain't easy and more than likely you'll have many empty trips afield as you learn. By that time you'll also figure out for yourself that the .22LR isn't even close to big enough. Most won't listen anyway and have to learn on there own.

Also, furs are bad right now and getting worse, not worth hunting if you are wanting to save fur. Wait till November if you are wanting fur.

LK
Old March 7, 2010, 11:34 PM   #17
kilimanjaro

A .22 LR will tear up the internal organs if it reaches any, and the coyote will probably drown in it's own blood. Not a clean and humane kill at all. Use a shotgun and kill it quickly.
Old March 8, 2010, 01:59 PM   #18
thekyrifleman

If you are close enough...50 yds or less, can hit a squirrel in the head at 25, then in my opinion, if you have the opportunity for head shots...i.e., stick it in his ear, you will have a dead 'yote everytime. The issue is disciplining yourself to the proper conditions...
Old March 8, 2010, 04:57 PM   #19
HAMMER1DOWN

I put 6 rounds in a running yote out of my 10/22 this last fall and still had to put another through its brainpan to finish it off. IMHO I would rather not use it again on anything but gophers or other small critters. Now I use a much more powerful .22 the .223 out of my AR and that puts em down rather quickly.
Old March 8, 2010, 05:13 PM   #20
fast-eddie

I got one with a Marlin model 60 at around at around 50 yards, it was a head shot. I don't even know what ammo it was, I was fishing a small creek near my old house, brought the .22 to plink around if fishing got dull.
Old March 9, 2010, 05:13 PM   #21
markj

I remember the days when we could get that varmint ammo in .22. Some fool shot our pres and a guy name of brady with it and it is now a banned item. Bullets would explode if shot thru a rifle.

If you really want some fun, get a few greyhounds to run them to ground then use a pit or lab to finish the yote off. We used to do this, not so common now tho.
Old March 9, 2010, 05:30 PM   #22
golfballshootr

No, IMO, I would not use .17HMR, .22LR or .22mag. I have hunted and called the dogs for many years, and the really up close and personal ones that you see on TV are far and few between. That said, if you do get one or more to come in real close, and you miss, now you gave it and its mate, they usually run in pairs, and education. If you hit, but not well, you just missed the point of the hunt, clean kills.

I have killed the occasional 30 yard dog, but very rare. Actually have killed more bobcats inside of 70 yards than outside of 100, because they will sneak up on you and bust you if you are not very watchful.
Old March 11, 2010, 07:58 PM   #23
cubesmoothie

you could use a 22 but it wouldnt make much sense IF you have a rifle that can do the job better. .223's, swifts, hornets would be about the best overal choices for a yote.

.22 will definitely kill them though, if thats all that matters.