The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 5, 2007, 03:01 PM   #1
314EPW

pro 1000 problem 45acp

Bullets look good and shoot great,but here's my problem.When moving the ram to drop the powder everything is fine until I go to move the ram.It takes alot of force to have the shell release.What's my problem?
Ed
Old July 5, 2007, 04:31 PM   #2
actionflies

I get the same thing with lead bullet and also some brass shaving. Just need to clean the dies and it will get better once broken in.
Old July 5, 2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Sigma 40 Blaster

Could be a couple of things...

First thing that comes to mind is possibly over-flaring...if you're expanding the mouth of the brass too much it can be difficult to get the ram to go back down because more of the expander die is in the case than necessary.

Second thing...if the brass is very dirty OR very clean it will pull at the expander or sizing die. If it's very dirty I suggest tumbling a bit more, if it's very clean or new chamfer/debur it.

Third thing...are you sure it's the powder/expander die causing your problems? Could it be that the brass is very malformed and "hanging up" in the sizing die? That could also be caused by very dirty or very clean brass.

Even though carbide dies do not REQUIRE any case lube really dirty or really clean brass seems to go through better with a little bit on the first 50 or so pieces of brass.

I'd start by playing with the depth of your expander die, I had the same problem and found that I didn't necessarily need to be able to see the mouth of the case noticeably flared to allow bullet seating. Before doing that run one piece of brass only through the stations to make sure that the expanding die is indeed your problem and not the resizer...
Old July 6, 2007, 04:55 AM   #4
314EPW

thanks!

thanks!
Ed
Old July 6, 2007, 07:58 AM   #5
Mr Beta

Did that solve it?
Old July 6, 2007, 08:24 AM   #6
JDG

I've noticed the expander plug in Lee dies is ridged. I polished mine, and it works much smoother