The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Toddco

Powder picking

I have just aquired a new rifle: .338 lapua magnum, ackley improved. I received a suggestion to use H1000 with the Sierra 300 grain match king bullets. Does anyone have any other suggestions or how does one find info on what powder should work well this combination. I would be looking for a powder like the new imr 8208 xbr that is very resilient to temp/humidity as i shoot in both extremes of cold and warm temps.

Thanks,
Old March 27, 2011, 01:01 AM   #2
Jim243

Whoooo, sports fans. I use IMR 8208 and there are no loads for 300 grain bullets in 338 only one for 160 grain bullets. The powder burns too fast for mag loads. I use it for 223 loads and it is hot. You would be better off using a slower burning powder than 8208.

Just my 5 and a half cents (Inflation you know)
Jim
Old March 27, 2011, 01:04 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Winchester 780 is slow enough for the application, and reported to be temperature tolerant.

Many of Hodgdon's 'Extreme' powders are supposed to be very temperature tolerant. That's nearly all of their extruded powders, including some of the slower ones; and many of their ball powders.

Quote:
Does anyone have any other suggestions or how does one find info on what powder should work well this combination.
Experience, research, and/or educated guesses are generally how reloaders figure these things out.

I am not familiar enough with .338 Lapua, and don't know what the case capacity increase is when blown out to the AI version. So, I can't offer any further advice.
Old March 27, 2011, 03:05 AM   #4
Shoney

http://www.snipercentral.com/338.htm
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 27, 2011, 06:56 AM   #5
Toddco

powder

I have had as much as 99 grains of H1000 in these cases and there is still room for more. This powder works ok, i was only looking for options as powders are often hard to come by in my area.