The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 29, 2012, 05:00 PM   #51
edteach

I can say IMO keep away from the Kahr far far away. Had one and just sold the POS. Magazine kept falling out and had to have it fixed, the recoil spring broke on break-in and Kahr refused to fix it. They wanted me to send it in on my dime 25 bucks so they could "look" at it. Its an 8 dollar spring and they want to look at it. Then after I called the third time they asked what I shot in it and after I said Ram and Federal they said they voided my warranty because RAM is re-manufactured ammo. LMAO I could not sell that POS fast enough. Bought a Glock 26 and will take it to the range tomorrow. From my experience with Glock they take care of their customers. I just called Glock on a Gen 2 19 with a broken cracked guide rod and they sent one out to my surprise.
Old May 29, 2012, 05:43 PM   #52
Ace_Breaker

Glock by a wide margin. Every Taurus I owned broke, 3 of them. I don't ever plan on going down that road again. Kahr was not far behind in the problematic category. Mags dropping while firing, failure to feed, extract, and plastic problems(rails appeared to be melting down into frame and bunches of plastic build up near the grip) were a no go. They had the craziness to tell me to complete 500 round break in before considering the problems significant. Get real. I own two Glock 26's which have been 100% flawless. Enough said.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:28 PM   #53
BGutzman

Quote:
I am concerend about the guns thickness even though it is only 1.18" wide and I like the higher magazine capacity.
For me the problem with Glock and Taurus is not so great reliability. (In my opinion Taurus seems to have permanent problems and Glock seems to have recently slipped off some sort of cliff)

Id go with the Kahr
Old May 29, 2012, 07:16 PM   #54
Dashunde

Quote:
Originally Posted by edteach
I can say IMO keep away from the Kahr far far away. Had one and just sold the POS. Magazine kept falling out and had to have it fixed, the recoil spring broke on break-in and Kahr refused to fix it.
1 - This thread is over two years old, drug up by edtech to complain (again) about Kahr.
2 - You admittedly threw away the recoil spring, eliminating their right to check out the failure.
3 - Its crystal clear that your sole purpose in these forums is to prowl around taking any opportunity to bash whatever manufacturer you feel has wronged you lately.

Folks, read here for some clarity on this guy, MeanMachine did all the work for us.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:31 PM   #55
Sturmgewehre

I wouldn't give serious consideration to Taurus for a defensive arm. For range guns, sure. Defensive carry guns? You can do better. I see no reason to make concessions in quality or performance to save a few bucks when looking for a tool that might be called upon to save your life.

Of the other two, pick the one that fits your hand best and that you shoot best. No one can tell you how well you will shoot a pistol or how good a pistol will feel in your hands.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:57 PM   #56
richiep

CW9 Update

This post is extremely old. I ended up with the CW9 and for two years have never experienced a jam. I find the quality of the gun to be very nice at its price point.
Old May 30, 2012, 02:07 AM   #57
TennJed

Quote:
1 - This thread is over two years old, drug up by edtech to complain (again) about Kahr.
2 - You admittedly threw away the recoil spring, eliminating their right to check out the failure.
3 - Its crystal clear that your sole purpose in these forums is to prowl around taking any opportunity to bash whatever manufacturer you feel has wronged you lately.

Folks, read here [thefiringline.com] for some clarity on this guy, MeanMachine did all the work for us.
Pretty sure he is on another big gun forum under the name gunsnsprinkles posting the exact same thing. If they are different people then, they need to get together for a chat because the both have a big problem with Kahr and customer service reps with forgien accents.

I personaly have no problem with someone sharing expierences, good or bad, it helps us all. But people will take you much more serious if you contribute something else to the forum. Bringing up thread after thread of the same complaints comes across as a childish.

Do you have any positive comments about firearms that might be helpful to someone?
Old May 31, 2012, 09:51 PM   #58
farmboy

I sold my Springfield Mil-Spec and bought a Kahr CW45. It was the best move I've made, at least for me.

These guns shoot nice and carry easy. If anyone is still reading this thread that might be on the fence, jump off. Go buy yourself a new Kahr.
Old June 5, 2012, 09:40 PM   #59
wstein

Kahr thoughts

I just went to range tonight to shoot my CW40 along with my XD40 and MP40. Have to say after shooting the XD and MP, the trigger pull threw me on the CW. I like the CW for my CCW weapon, just wish the trigger pull wasn't so long.

Just means more range time to get used to it.

Just a few rambling thoughts from the peanut gallery.

I don't have a good signature.....
Old June 29, 2012, 08:16 AM   #60
edteach

Kahr sucks

I had to file a complaint with the BBB to get someone at Kahr besides Ian in CS. I was finally contacted by Tim Pierce who is head of CS. He said that the old head of CS was an engineer and not a people person and did not fit in that job and has since moved on. This explains why in the past year that Kahr has had so many complaints about its CS. Tim was great and after I told him I sold my Kahr, asked if he gave me a good price on a new CW9 would it fix the problem?

I said yes and after a bit or wrangling I received my Kahr for 259. Its a good price for this gun. He said that my situation was absolutely handled incorrectly and he apologized. I was never in it for a grudge and said on all my posts I liked the size and feel of the Kahr. I was also told that the CS person I had encountered had been talked to about future situations like this and how not to handle them.

I was also told that Kahr knows that every day its customers use reloads in their products and that this is only a real potential problem with the poly rifling. I was told that the standard L&G rifling of the CW did not really have a problem as long as the reloads were not over pressured. I agree with this as this is how every gun company views reloads, its a way of saying that if you use reloads and its not loaded correctly and the result is a blown or ruptured gun the company has the right to say they will not cover it. I have no problem with this. I did have a problem with them saying if you shoot reloads your warranty is void. I was informed this is not the case at all. Thanks to Tim Pierce.

I received my Kahr CW today and took it to the range. Not one FTF or FTE. I use 115gr with 5 g or power pistol the low end of the reload grid. Works well. BTW the poly is only a problem with lead bullets, if you use copper case or FMJ not a problem. The review of the gun is that I hate the cheese grater friction on the grips but this is over come by a Houge sleeve. Makes the gun easy to hold. I also was hitting low and to the right which seems to be about what many others are saying. My first CW was almost POA.

I may put some adjustable rear sight on it. But since its for CCW and I have ordered an extra mag for it and holster ITPs, its not really a big deal. I sold my other CW and made 50 dollars on the deal so all in I am 209 for a new CW9. This makes up for the time and upset I went through.

I hope that Kahr keeps up the course correction as they once had great CS and I hope they will again. As I told Timothy, an Asian chick with a great ass holding a Kahr may make many guys drool over the anatomy of the Asian chick but it does not do much except to the more unintelligent of the gun crowd to sell a gun. A happy customer will go a long long way to sell other people on the product. I have been contacted by at least 20 people who said that they were looking at the Kahr and now would not buy one. How many people have they told and so on.

I am satisfied with Kahr thus far and will put a few more hundred rounds down range before making my final judgment. As far as the Kahr vs the Glock, I like the feel of the Glock 26 and will keep it, but for CCW the Kahr slim outline is better for carry. The Kahr has a long but smooth take up on the trigger with a crisp break. The Glock is short and crisp, and I added a ghost TB and Hi Viz sights and that thing is dead on the money at 30 feet. The Kahr I have to adjust up and to the left, but if I can find an adjustable rear sight for my Kahr it may take care of that.

I wish I did not have to go all this way to fix a problem that should not have been a problem but Tim also agreed with me and I hope that I have helped to make a better Kahr experience for other gun owners. Your welcome.

Just a side note, when I picked up the CW at the local gun shop the person behind the counter said he just sold his CW40, he said he could not get a mag through it wihtout it jamming. I did not ask if he sent back the gun or not, he was clearly upset and did not feel the gun was something he wanted to put his life on the line with. I did not ask what he was going to go with in place of the Kahr. To be fair I have heard of every gun manufacture having some problems, this was not my original intent about the gun itself, it was rather about CS. I have had a problems with Rugers SR9 and a walking cam block pin that seems to be a problem in some but not all this series, and Ruger tried but could not seem to fix it. After about 30 to 50 rounds the cam block pin would walk out about 3/4s of the way. I cut a small grove in the pin and it let the slide stop spring set deeper into the channel and this seemed to take care of the problem but I sold it and bought the Smith M&P, and this gun has not given me one problem. I like Ruger and own many but this just ticked me off that a new gun would have this problem. I even like the SR9, I just don't trust it.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; June 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Antagonizing another member
Old August 8, 2012, 11:47 AM   #61
edteach

cw9

Well after a month of shooting the new CW, I can say it has not developed the same problem. The mag never dropped out, but it came with a metal mag release. The spring although weak did not break. The recoil spring was very weak, I can take my pinky and move the slide back about half and inch with very little pressure. It has not affected the feeding or ejecting in any way I can detect.

One thing I have noticed it shoots low and to the right. About 8 inch's low at 30 feet. The first CW was point of aim at the same distance. Next I noticed with the mag out the slide to frame has about a sixteenth of an inch of play up and down and if you pull the trigger with the mag out the slide moves back about the same amount. Again it has not affected performance as far as I can see. The trigger is still very poor, smooth but very long. It takes time to learn where the break is because its very long trigger pull. If you look at it like a double action revolver its about the same, but its not very good for accuracy. Slim and hidable inside the waist. Shoots lead ammo reloads well. It seems to digest everything I feed it so far. I tapped the rear dove tail sight over a bit and it seems to have brought it back to center but still low.

Fits nice in my hand, but I still am not in love with the thin rails in the front recoil spring area and small steel inserts in the rear. It does not seem to have had any problems due to this but its not as sturdy as many other polymer guns. I really wish the trigger was better. Its a very bad trigger, I guess some may not mind it if they are used to shooting DA revolvers, but if you want a Glock or SR9c trigger its not going to happen with this gun. I also don't like the 5 year warranty Kahr gives. If you believe you are making a good product then stand behind it. This make my idea of it being a light design more of an issue. What if the frame cracks at 5 years and a month? If it was the MK series where it was a SS frame, I think it would not matter to me as much.
Old August 8, 2012, 03:27 PM   #62
Fishbed77

Quote:
If it was the MK series where it was a SS frame, I think it would not matter to me as much.

Steel frames can crack too.

I own a CM9, and it has been 100% reliable out of the box with every type of ammo I've ever put through it.

Is it a Walther? No. But is a dang fine firearm for the $327 I spent on it, and is my primary carry piece.
Old August 8, 2012, 04:43 PM   #63
Dashunde

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtech
The spring although weak did not break. The recoil spring was very weak, I can take my pinky and move the slide back about half and inch with very little pressure. It has not affected the feeding or ejecting in any way I can detect.
OMG... you'd complain if they hung you with a new rope.
I'm so sick of encountering your repetitive nonsense about Kahr's customer service (seemingly corrected with a $260 CW!!!) and your incessant idiocy surrounding their recoil springs - of which you THREW AWAY YOUR OWN FAULTY ONE THEN BASH THEM FOR NOT REPLACING IT.

That exact same recoil spring has been in service in the PM9 for over 10 years delivering excellent recoil absorption and small-9 shootability.
All these years later and the other manufacturers are still trying to better it with only moderate/partial success.

Enough of you - Find something new to crank on about... or don’t.
I just read every one of your 26+ posts - it sucked and I'd rather be kicked in the beans than do that again - nearly all are complaints professing about design flaws, bad customer service, dredging up 7 year old threads, and lets not forget my personal favorite bit of sickness from you...

Quote:
Kahr can keep their guns as far as I am concerned. Not to mention its owned by a cult leaders son of the moonies, son of sung mung moon, you remember the arranged interracial marriages of the 90s? Nothing against interracial marriages but the cult did arranged marriages.
Yet here you are, again a Kahr owner. Still complaining about everything and nothing.

Lastly...
Quote:
I really wish the trigger was better. Its a very bad trigger
You've got to be kidding...
Old August 8, 2012, 05:39 PM   #64
edteach

Dashound, The only one bitching here is you. LMAO. Yep just got back from trading my Kahr for a Ruger SR9c. I love the trigger and the trigger on the Kahr is long and harder to use than the short clean braking Ruger and Glock. So Kahr helped me buy a new Ruger for 280. Thank you Kahr Sung young moon. Yes swinhound I did own a Kahr, when they sell you one direct at a price I can make 100 bucks on it at the drop of a hat it would be stupid not to.

If you don't like my post why do you keep counter posting? Hmmmm makes you wonder. You remind me of the bear who kept raping the hunter and the hunter keeps coming back and finally the bear says you ain't here for the hunting are you? Well hound you ain't here for the hunting are you?

Now I own a Ruger SR9c. The gun seems to be better built than the Kahr, the trigger is light years above the Kahr, for me being left handed the mag release and the safety are ambi. Its also has the 10 round cap that it very nice and the gun fits my Kahr holster. Joy of joys. Another plus over the Kahr is that Kahr has a 5 year warranty and Ruger will just take care of a customer. The SR is not that much bigger than the Kahr and seems to conceal as good as the Kahr. So no more Kahrs for me unless they want to sell me a few more at 259 plus shipping. I will do that all day long and then get what I want. LMAO all the way to the bank.
Old August 8, 2012, 09:52 PM   #65
Dashunde

Quote:
The only one bitching here is you
Your delusional, that’s all you’ve done here, grind on and on about Kahr and other makers.
You contribute nothing to the forums, and it bewilders me how you've repeatedly gotten away with your foul language and vulgar innuendo.. perhaps no one is paying any attention to you? Rightfully so I suppose...

Your lucky you got that gun from Kahr, a lot of good it did them trying to pacify you - you’re a lousy customer.
I'll tell you what they should have told you - go pound sand.
Old August 8, 2012, 09:59 PM   #66
edteach

LMAO junkdog

Hahahahah, I know you are but what am I, Whine whine whine, Kahr should have given you nothing, whine whine whine. You don't post like I tell you to whine whine whine, Mods, spank this guy he has an issue with a gun I sell, whine whine whine.

I have not heard so much whining since I baby sat for my nieces. LOL. How old are you duckhound?

No one pay any attention to this guy, post post post. LOL you ain't here for the hunting are you duck hound?
Old August 8, 2012, 10:10 PM   #67
Dashunde

I dont sell guns, I have nothing to do with the industry.

And I bet your next pointless post will be as equally stupid as the one above.
Go on... show us what you've got.
Old August 8, 2012, 10:23 PM   #68
edteach

You must not have many friends, and feel that an argument is more fellowship than you get at home.

I am sorry you feel that the only way you can get attention is to troll a post that has nothing to do with you.

Maybe you can go to big brothers and find a friend. But if you think arguing is a way of making a connection then I think it would not work.

You could maybe fit in a neo Nazi org, your attitude seems to be in line with the skin heads. Don't worry, there is someone for you out there.

I know I am correct here, because all you have to do is not post nasty grams and it all ends, but you keep coming back so this tells me a couple of things.

One is that you have to have the last word and be the loudest mouth in the room, second that you have to be right even when you are wrong or there is no argument. Third that you love the attention you get from being the loud mouth. This makes you a sad sad little man. I feel sorry for you, it must be very lonely for you.
Old August 8, 2012, 10:57 PM   #69
Fishbed77

Wow. I can't believe this thread hasn't been locked yet.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:16 PM   #70
Dashunde

I know, its amazing.

I do like the skin head idea though, ah.. but wait... My wife is Japanese (and now so is our daughter) Think they'll still let me in?
Old August 8, 2012, 11:28 PM   #71
edteach

Don't you mean American? and you duckhound are the one hijacking a thread and then come on and say, I know like the kid who ate the cookies and is pointing the finger at someone else. I have to believe your really 15 yo. Its the only explanation I can think of that would not make it very sad. All I can say is quit trolling and hijacking threads that are not yours.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:39 PM   #72
Dashunde

Your out of balance somehow, very immature, and seemingly dont understand what people say, or even your own writing.
You have no business owning a gun.

I'm done with you, but your welcome to keep carrying on as I'm sure you will...
Old August 8, 2012, 11:47 PM   #73
edteach

Carry on with out you? You act like I wanted you to participate in this post in the first place. Good ridens to you. Keep your rear off my posts old boy. You keep talking about going but you don't your like the relative who will not leave. GO, leave, there is the door, don't let it hit you in the rear end, walk away, I can say it in several more ways to get it through that thick skull if you want.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:59 PM   #74
cltinseattle

The "system"

I have not fired the Kahr but I have fired the Taurus 709 Slim and the Glock 26. The Glock wins hands down. The Taurus had one of the worst triggers I have ever felt and would sometimes fail to reset. Remember that for concealed carry you are not just talking about a handgun you are looking at a "system". Beginning with the belt, I recommend Bullhide Belts. That's not to say that there are not other really good belts out there but I have two Bullhide Belts and have found them both to be of excellent quality. When considering the purchase of a concealed carry handgun I also consider what holsters are available, both for the gun and for extra magazines, also are Crimson Trace Grips or a Crimson Trace LaserGuard available. (I prefer the LaserGuard.) Is there a holster available for the handgun + LaserGuard? Also, does it come with night sights or are there night sights available?

My EDC System consists of a Bullhide Belt, a Glock 26 with a Pearce Grip 1-round extension on the magazine for carry and 2 15-round magazines with ProMag grip spacers on my off-hand side. Mods to the Glock 26 include the Crimson Trace LaserGuard and Meprolight Night Sights. My holster is an IWB Crossbreed Supertuck made for the Glock 17 with the LaserGuard. The reason I got the Glock 17 Supertuck was so that I would have the extra leather to trim it down to fit to my body. In addition I also have a Klarus XT2A flashlight and a Kershaw Leek pocket knife. The Leek may get replaced by a Kershaw Funxion EMT if I can ever get my hands on one.

Best of luck in your search.
Old August 9, 2012, 05:02 AM   #75
Justice06RR

Quote:
Carry on with out you? You act like I wanted you to participate in this post in the first place. Good ridens to you. Keep your rear off my posts old boy. You keep talking about going but you don't your like the relative who will not leave. GO, leave, there is the door, don't let it hit you in the rear end, walk away, I can say it in several more ways to get it through that thick skull if you want.
I would tread carefully and keep it civil in here, as the Mods are always watching with thread-lock ready

Just sayin...

Tags
ccw , easy carry , glock 26 , kahr cw9 , taurus 709 slim